Read 3400 times

Hi folks,

Here's my situation. I need to obtain valid E-2 visa documents for a new job. I'm a UK citizen, currently living in Korea.

My understanding of the process for getting valid documents made is this:

1. Get the CRC checks, transcripts, degree certificate etc.
2. Get a lawyer/solicitor to stamp the original CRC and the copy of the degree certificate.
3. Get an apostille attached to these stamped documents.

My issue is this: I am in Korea at the moment. It is possible for me to get through Step 1 via online applications and so forth. No worries. My problem is with Step 2. Every solicitor/lawyer I've spoken to in the UK says that yes, they can stamp the document, but that I a) need to be there in person when I do it, and b) need to show 2 utility bills plus passport/driving licence when I do so to prove I am who I say I am.

Needless to say this is going to be quite difficult when I have been living in Korea for five years and can't just walk to a solicitor in the UK at the drop of a hat. Therefore:

Does anyone know of a place in Korea where I could go and get my CRC and degree copy signed by a solicitor, that solicitors signature being such that the FCO in the UK could put an apostille on it?

(In other words, a Korean solicitor won't be good enough - it needs to be on the FCO's register of British-approved solicitors)

Thanks all.

Andrew
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 07:26:02 pm by aaandy »

Hi,

First of all, when you make your application for the CRC, as them to stamp it for you.  I actually posted mine back to them to get it stamped after they forgot to do it.

Secondly, I don't believe you have to be there in person, but someone does to present your documents. I did it on behalf of my wife a couple of years back.  You're just getting it certified as a copy, as opposed to the solicitor authenticating that it is genuine. For that reason, anyone can get it stamped on your behalf.

My stamp basically states that such and such person presented what appears to be a degree certificate from such and such university, issued on such and such date, and this this is a certified copy of that document.

Try calling a solicitor again and checking whether that's still possible. I used this place, http://www.hartwiglondon.eu/ Croydon office.

As for UK registered solicitors in Korea, the embassy in Busan or Seoul might have a list,   or even a resident solicitor.

• Nikkeela
  • Newgookin

• March 04, 2013, 08:35:39 am
    • Incheon
I sorted out all my documents while outside the UK too, using Heald Law who did the notorising and arranged the apostille:
http://www.healdlaw.com/notary/legalisation.aspx

I emailed them explaining my situation, and just had to post my documents to them along with a scan of my passport and proof of address (which was actually a New Zealand address at the time) and they posted back all finished.
Easy!

• kiwityke
  • Super Waygook

• October 20, 2011, 07:51:05 am
    • Gimpo, South Korea
I haven't lived in the UK for 6 years had to do this too. It's pretty easy if a little bit of a pain.

I basically printed all the forms off the internet signed them and posted them to my parents. Who then went to the solicitors and got the various documents notarised and then apostilled.

Pretty simple really...

• dizzl
  • Veteran

• September 14, 2010, 01:20:32 am
    • Jeju
Does a solicitor's stamp expire?
Before coming here I had extra copies ceritified in case I needed to get them apostilled at a later date.
Will the FCO accept it if its a couple years old?

They were stamped at a Magistrate's Court if that makes a difference.

• kiwityke
  • Super Waygook

• October 20, 2011, 07:51:05 am
    • Gimpo, South Korea
Does a solicitor's stamp expire?
Before coming here I had extra copies ceritified in case I needed to get them apostilled at a later date.
Will the FCO accept it if its a couple years old?

They were stamped at a Magistrate's Court if that makes a difference.

No idea I am afraid, I can't see why it would matter, but then again I am not a faceless bureaucrat.

Useful guide for what can be done from within Korea for UK citizens.

https://www.gov.uk/notarial-and-documentary-services-guide-for-south-korea

• janet1992
  • Super Waygook

• July 24, 2013, 06:36:44 pm
    • Canada
Hi,

I had the same situation, except I wasn't in korea but on holiday in Spain.
I had my father do it for me. I wrote a letter that he was acting on my behalf, signed it.
As long as it was the real degree the notary was able to do it.

Useful guide for what can be done from within Korea for UK citizens.

https://www.gov.uk/notarial-and-documentary-services-guide-for-south-korea

I had my degree certified by the embassy here but Immigration rejected it.

be careful.

Does anyone know of any british notaries public in Korea. is notarization possible in korea? or must the stamp verifiably and geographically take place within the UK?
Creating shared values