Read 2139 times

• ckab
  • Explorer

• May 10, 2011, 12:22:59 pm
I've decided to start an ESL forum and I'd like to know what you would like to see from an online community. If anyone wants to help me out here I'd love to hear some answers to these questions, I can even pay you for doing it (if you want to be cold-hearted and not just donate your thoughts to me for free!).

---

1. What would make you want to come to a forum about teaching ESL?

2. What changes would you like to see from ESL forums to make them more easy to use or accessible? (sleek/user-friendly design, easier registration, etc)

3. What kinds of things do you want on an ESL forum that other forums don't have?

4. What things do you like about ESL forums in general?

5. What things do you dislike about ESL forums?

6. Would you want forums that are specific to one country or cover multiple different countries?

7. Do you see ESL forums as a lifestyle board, a job board, or a mix of both?

8. What is the most interesting thing about an ESL forum to you? Job postings? Lifestyle posts? Rants/meltdowns about living in a foreign country? ESL teaching materials?

---

Cheers to anyone who responds to this. If you want to remain anonymous, please feel free to shoot me an email at koreaeslforum@gmail.com

I'll also be looking for moderators and team members to help collaborate and spark discussions, so let me know if you're interested.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 03:04:37 am by ckab »

• wrinklebump
  • Expert Waygook

• March 20, 2012, 01:31:12 pm
    • Ulsan, Korea via Detroit, Michigan
Re: Starting an ESL forum. What differences do you want to see?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 12:49:52 pm »
I think the market's a bit saturated son
Livin in a pathetic epidemic with schizophrenics buyin synthetic bodies on credit

• ukukuk
  • Super Waygook

• June 26, 2013, 12:09:23 pm
    • nippon
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 01:00:35 pm »
yeah id say you definitely need a unique angle for it to be a success. whats your angle?

• ckab
  • Explorer

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 03:42:18 pm »
Market saturation is definitely something I considered. The thinking for me is that Dave's is incredibly old and poorly maintained, while Waygook is cluttered and not focused on the community, but rather free teaching materials. I intend to make somewhere for ESL teachers that is more focused on life in Korea, and where the mods are more understanding.

I'm also going to enable things such as image posting and *gasp* swearing will be allowed.

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 06:11:36 pm »
How many Korea Forums are there already? 5? 6?

Yeah, strikes me as saturated.

• ckab
  • Explorer

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 09:28:29 pm »
Yeah, part of this is my desire to consolidate them all.

And Captain Corea, you should know I wanted to tap you for a mod position on the new forum.

• ukukuk
  • Super Waygook

• June 26, 2013, 12:09:23 pm
    • nippon
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 05:03:36 pm »

If the main selling point is that you can swear, why not make swearing compulsory? Swearing puts the S in ESL. English Swearing Language Forum
eg -

F@@@@@@ Job Posting B!tChez

This job gotz more Won den Trayvon

- 2.1m mo'fo'ing Won
- In Cheeky Ass Cheongju
- Age ranges from little s@&s kindergarten - big pimping high school
- F()) off nice apartment for you and your b!th
etc

• yfb
  • Expert Waygook

• July 05, 2010, 11:50:12 am
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2013, 11:41:23 am »
1. What would make you want to come to a forum about teaching ESL?

2. What changes would you like to see from ESL forums to make them more easy to use or accessible? (sleek/user-friendly design, easier registration, etc)

3. What kinds of things do you want on an ESL forum that other forums don't have?

4. What things do you like about ESL forums in general?

5. What things do you dislike about ESL forums?

6. Would you want forums that are specific to one country or cover multiple different countries?

7. Do you see ESL forums as a lifestyle board, a job board, or a mix of both?

8. What is the most interesting thing about an ESL forum to you? Job postings? Lifestyle posts? Rants/meltdowns about living in a foreign country? ESL teaching materials?

1. I come to these forums to stay up to date on ESL/EFL life in Korea

2. I'd like to do away with registration entirely. Make a 'EFLChan' (see below)

3. I want to be able to post what I really feel about EFL/ESL life in Korea to an anonymous imageboard like 4chan. Many users self-moderate their behavior because of the whole registration and identity sort of thing. There's also the small but remote chance of Korean netizen vengeance. With anonymity, there is no concern over online reputation. Posters are forced to directly engage (or ignore) the argument.  Otherwise, it just turns into a criticizing game based on the poster.

4. I enjoy reading about other peoples' experiences, downloading other peoples' creative thought and ideas, and staying up to date on EFL life.

5. I dislike reading a topic and having social justice warriors butt in with how they feel. I dislike Korean apologists, and when mods take the side of Korean apologists. I dislike overly harsh moderation like on Dave's. I dislike forums that have waaaaay too many general discussion boards like Waygook.

6. Start small. Make a off-topic board, a life in Korea board, and a teaching board. Then grow as necessary.

7. I see them as a mix of both.

8. I enjoy all three.

• unclefrank
  • Super Waygook

• April 22, 2011, 01:06:32 pm
    • Gyeonggi-do, South Korea
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2013, 12:30:58 pm »
just make it exactly waygook but don't police it so much. You should name it WaygookPLUS.org or something similiar.

• Arsalan
  • Site Programmer

• September 18, 2006, 02:00:00 pm
    • Alberta
    more
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2013, 04:38:32 pm »
@ckab, I wish you success on your endeavour, but if you're keen on listening to some advise that will help you out further down the line if/when you do grow, consider more so the architecture, and the platform for development.  Using pre-existing forum software will force patch work type of code later on, unless you're certain you're going to stick to a forum style site.
https://REDThanos.com
https://www.facebook.com/arsalan.lavang.9

"My heart bursts into starlight,
like collapsing ecstasy."

• ckab
  • Explorer

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2013, 08:24:56 pm »
Thanks for the advice. I have a lot of experience with php so I'm not scared, having updated multiple forums several times. I think that's one thing waygook gets right and Dave shows his incompetence.

I will be choosing the pre-existing forum software that best suits what I need. I have the most experience with phpBB, but vBulletin is more flexible and more complete. Vanilla was also a consideration, but I'm not convinced it's the right system for a forum to be on, it's a little bit too 'stiff' and the work to turn it into the right setup could take weeks. Simple Machines is one I have no experience with, but I must say, I'm wary about most open-source software in general. I'll have to look into it more.

Cheers for the advice.