Read 3464 times

• girandola
  • Adventurer

• September 28, 2010, 12:11:15 pm
    • Seoul
Free-talking class??
« on: March 15, 2011, 01:35:20 pm »
Hey all! My school's signed me up for a 90 min. conversation afterschool class once a week and I'm thinking about trying to turn it into a free-talking class - however, I have NO idea how to go about it. I got this idea after talking with a new student of mine who is exceptionally comfortable in English, so much so that I asked if she'd ever lived abroad. She hasn't, but apparently she goes to a free-talking class. Has anyone ever run one of these before, and if so, how do they work exactly? Do they have any set structure or are they pretty much the same as the conversation classes (most of) us NETs teach regularly? Again, I'm starting from complete scratch here, but when said student mentioned this to me it really got me intrigued. She's obviously benefited a lot from it. Any and all insight is appreciated!! I'll be teaching a group of about 15-20 middle schoolers, all grades.

• gookie
  • Super Waygook

• August 31, 2010, 12:03:12 pm
    • Daegu
Re: Free-talking class??
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 02:11:04 pm »
it would be easier to choose a specific theme for each class and teach them new forms of dialogues? you can find some good stuff on bogglesworld site.

• girandola
  • Adventurer

• September 28, 2010, 12:11:15 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 07:51:34 am »
I was thinking of that.......although, really I'm wondering what exactly a free-talking class is. I'd never heard of one before that student mentioned it to me!

• Aadi
  • Veteran

• September 10, 2010, 02:27:20 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 08:10:35 am »
Free-talking classes are great if you have sufficiently fluent students.  Your job is to start them talking and keep them going.  Have them discuss the pros/cons of living in the city, vacationing on Jeju Island, going to school abroad, men doing more housework, the eternal struggle between Horde and Alliance, Terran and Zerg, whatever.  Just keep them going.  Set up a debate if you need more structure.

I'd love to do a class like this but my students aren't fluent enough.  The closest I ever came was the one time I had to do a 90-minute conversation class with one student below sentence-forming level and no plan.  I asked her about her daily schedule, her favorite subjects, what she does in her spare time, what she watches on TV, her favorite K-pop stars, what she studies at hagwon, what careers she likes, etc.  With the help of her cellphone dictionary she was mostly able to communicate all this to me in laborious one- to three-word chunks.  Because I kept the focus totally on her and filled every pause with another line of questioning I was able to keep her going for the whole 90.

So, if you try this sort of thing with a whole class, act as a facilitator:  ask questions, focus on your students and follow the conversation wherever it goes.  But again, it will only work if your students can communicate reasonably well and want to speak.

• gookie
  • Super Waygook

• August 31, 2010, 12:03:12 pm
    • Daegu
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 08:47:27 am »
you can do an article and come up with discussion questions related to the article