Read 1122 times

Short-term (or travel) insurance
« on: July 19, 2013, 08:56:44 am »
Hi all,

Is it possible to buy short-term (or travel) insurance (e.g for 3 months duration) under C31 visa (short visiting) after we arrive in korea ? Thanks.

  • Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

    • 1970

    • March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
Re: Short-term (or travel) insurance
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 09:22:31 am »
If you mean from 3rd party insurance companies, then yes, of course. I would recommend World Nomads: getting their insurance is fairly straightforward.

If you mean getting a local Korean insurance policy... I'm not certain, but it may depend on whether or not you are issued an ARC card along with your Visa. Most every official document needs either a Korean Social Registration number of an Alien Registration Card number.

Re: Short-term (or travel) insurance
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 11:11:19 am »
I ended up buying travel insurance from my home country. 

I only found one insurer that was prepared to insure me immediately seeing I had already left my home country.  Another one or two insurers were prepared to insure me but there was a one week period from the beginning of the contract were I could not make any medical claims.

I discovered  that the price quotes I received for travel insurance seemed quite good value if I took out a long contract. e.g. 6 months or more.

With my first travel insurance contract, I was able to negotiate the price down by asking for a policy which primarily covered medical expenses.
"The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."  Steve Jobs

  • Taniwha
  • Veteran

    • 101

    • March 06, 2011, 10:39:02 pm
    • Yongin
Re: Short-term (or travel) insurance
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 11:33:38 am »
For travel insurance I would also recommend Nomads.