Read 4991 times

• Koreachess
  • Adventurer

• December 29, 2010, 08:48:43 am
    • South Korea
    more
Discussion Class on Japanese Earthquake/Tsunami
« on: March 15, 2011, 11:04:46 am »
I was wondering if anyone has made a lesson plan for this. 

I am brain storming some idea cause I think this would be a wonderful topic for discussion. Especially for a advance middle school class (or higher, I have kinda already done this for my teacher's discussion class). Right now I just have a basic ideas,  And I have been using the news reports and pictures.  I just don't know how to put it all together yet.  I want this to be an open ended type discussion class to hear what the children feel about what happened and what they should do as well as what other individuals should do.  Not to mention what other world governments should do to help.
Been here for two + years and I plan on staying for quite a bit longer

• LemonWater
  • Super Waygook

• September 09, 2010, 10:45:32 am
    • Gwangju
Re: Discussion Class on Japanese Earthquake/Tsunami
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 11:16:54 am »
You could put them in groups and assign each a specific problem to discuss and ways to help. E.g.  lack of food, shelter, doctors, economy, nuclear meltdown, etc. . .  Have each group write down the consequences of the problem and solutions (big poster size paper for each would be nice).

Next have each group present to the class and have a general class discussion for each.

• Koreachess
  • Adventurer

• South Korea
    more
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 11:24:40 am »
You could put them in groups and assign each a specific problem to discuss and ways to help. E.g.  lack of food, shelter, doctors, economy, nuclear meltdown, etc. . .  Have each group write down the consequences of the problem and solutions (big poster size paper for each would be nice).

Next have each group present to the class and have a general class discussion for each.

Wow something like that didn't even cross my mind.  Thanks. 

• landry
  • Veteran

• June 17, 2010, 10:51:42 am
    • Incheon, South Korea

• mdarino
  • Waygookin

• September 11, 2009, 11:05:09 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 08:39:00 pm »
I really want to do a lesson on it, but I'm afraid a student will say something racist and I'll snap. I haven't come up with any golden ideas yet, but that's what the weekend is for.

• Koreachess
  • Adventurer

• South Korea
    more
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 10:13:00 am »
I really want to do a lesson on it, but I'm afraid a student will say something racist and I'll snap. I haven't come up with any golden ideas yet, but that's what the weekend is for.

I have already done a version of this, without a power point and (I am going to make one this weekend, it would greatly improve the process) I did have some students go on racist tangents.  I probably would have gotten a little angry at them, but just before the class, I had read an article about various Americans claiming Karma for pearl harbor. Which made me realize that if we have people from my country who think this is Karma (even though all of those people seem to have forgotten about little man and fat boy) then I could understand the thinking of a Middle school kid. And it lead to further discussions about why they thought that way about Japan and the Japanese people.

• Koreachess
  • Adventurer

• South Korea
    more
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 10:17:48 am »
Here is what got me started on this topic.  I mean besides the actual earthquake and tsunami.

Some dramatic photos of the aftermath in Northern Japan:

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2011/03/japan_earthquake_aftermath.html

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1605260179420&comments

If you guys have any videos, footage, pictures, websites, or any other sources that would be great.

• adamwatch
  • Super Waygook

• February 03, 2010, 10:47:27 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 10:22:19 am »
The word tsunami is interesting as previously people used to say tidal wave. It is a good example of how English "borrows" words from other cultures and how International English is. This can lead into a discussion of other "borrowed" words in English.

Adam

• SpaceRook
  • Expert Waygook

• November 18, 2010, 11:54:36 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 10:50:36 am »
I've been doing a 5 minute talk at the beginning of class.  Here are some slides I made to go along with it.  It's nothing special, but it does focus on a few key words (earthquake, tsunami, nuclear power).

• Koreachess
  • Adventurer

• South Korea
    more
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 01:46:39 pm »
Here are some great before and after pics that I used for my discussion class.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/events/japan-quake-2011/beforeafter.htm

and

http://www.abc.net.au/news/events/japan-quake-2011/beforeafter2.htm

Also, I did a bit of ad-lib in my class when one of my students just came out and said that it was a good thing that a earthquake and a tsunami hit. I wasn't surprised by it but it did derail the class a bit.  So the class went from just centered around Japan to why is it a good/bad thing (I don't think it was ever a good thing btw) so we had a minor debate or more aptly a session in which they had to explain why they think it was good or bad.  Most used English and such but there were some ideas that they did not know in English so we learn some new words as well.

And here is a vocab sheet that I made for the discussion class as well. In addition to explaining the vocabulary and it's connections to the recent events in Japan; I also had the students make 3 sentences from each vocab group using at least one vocab word for each sentence.

• wbrittoni
  • Waygookin

• September 12, 2010, 08:04:11 pm
    • Changwon-si, South Korea
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2011, 02:51:25 pm »
I think this is such an important topic for these kids, especially since there is such negative opinions towards the Japanese.  I used the powerpoint provided by SpaceRook (thank you so much, by the way) and I added some scrambled vocabulary, an activity from an article and worksheet from www.breakingnewseng lish.com, and extended the lesson to teach about the importance of charity.  Just trying to bring awareness to the tragedy of this situation and how important spreading love and helping others is.  Of course this lesson is getting mixed responses.  At the end of class, I play the snowball game.  I have students write down one thing that they would do to help Japan.  Then I have them crumple the paper into a ball and throw to each other until I ask them to stop.  Then they read from the paper ball they grabbed.  Gives them much more incentive to write an answer, since many students say they would not help  :(

Overall, I think this was a successful lesson and I hope that maybe I influenced at least a few students to understand a little about charity. 

P.S.  I just realized that my worksheet is very crooked..haha!  Oops!  Bad cut and glue job on my part, sorry!