Read 4129 times

• UKsimon
  • Veteran

• September 20, 2010, 09:04:01 am
I have a slight altercation envolving myself, a car going the wrong way and my right foot and a panel of the car.

I realise this is out of school, but does anyone have any experience of getting rejected because of history with the Korean police?

I didn't go to jail, nor was I fined. I was just warned and accepted criminal damages although I rejected payment.

• dachiza727
  • Super Waygook

• June 24, 2010, 09:52:23 pm
    • South Korea
    more
Re: Anyone been rejected for a job because of their Korean police check?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 03:27:23 pm »
Daniel Day Lewis ~ "my left foot" was a good film.

your right foot, may have cost you a potential job.  but as long as you didn't commit a violent crime with it - i think you will be ok

"Iíll have a vanilla...one of those vanilla bullshit things. You know, whatever you want, some vanilla bullshit latte cappa thing. Whatever you got."

true dat.

• madison79
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 19, 2010, 01:26:04 pm
    • Interweb
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 04:25:01 pm »
Pretty sure you'll be fine. 
It's -ev to deal with some people.

• fishead
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 23, 2010, 07:58:05 am
    • Yangju Korea
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 09:10:47 am »
 Background checks from Korea are not required so your prospective school will not know of the incident

• apuffer
  • Veteran

• October 18, 2012, 11:38:59 am
    • South Korea
    more
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 09:39:56 am »
Just don't teach your students that "envolve" is a word, you should be OK.  ;)
Well, I stand up next to a mountain and I chop it down with the edge of my hand...

• jejuted
  • Adventurer

• July 01, 2012, 06:27:35 am
    • jeju island
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 09:42:50 am »
hehe apuffer - nor should you teach them that have is the past tense of have - sorry but we are all English teachers, we just can't resist

• Mezoti97
  • The Legend

• April 14, 2011, 03:02:50 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 09:44:24 am »
Background checks from Korea are not required so your prospective school will not know of the incident

I think if you've been working in Korea for a while, it (a domestic Korean criminal background check) might be required by some public schools. I remember when I was with EPIK some years ago and talked to them on the phone about which documents I would need, they told me that I would also need to submit a Korean criminal background check, because I had been living and working in Korea for a couple of years at the time. Anyhow, if an employer requires one, it's quite easy to get -- much easier and way faster than obtaining the FBI criminal background check from the States (plus, the Korean criminal background check is free).

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 01:21:50 pm »
My school did a Korean background check. They were more worried about "sexual crimes" though. It really depends on your administration. Mine decided I needed to go through the same checks as the Korean teachers.

My POE wanted one when I renewed in 2012 and again in 2013.  So, I'm not sure what would happen if there were one.  I have none.  But they may reject you. 

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2013, 01:32:00 pm »
Background checks ARE required by public schools (office of education) when you renew your contract.
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2013, 02:25:42 pm »
Background checks ARE required by public schools (office of education) when you renew your contract.

Maybe it varies from different P.O.Es.   I have renewed my contract twice with EPIK and didn't have to submit a Korean police background check.
I'd rather spend 1000 winters in Korea than have to deal through one more summer.
~Unknown waygook.

• unclefrank
  • Super Waygook

• April 22, 2011, 01:06:32 pm
    • Gyeonggi-do, South Korea
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2013, 03:17:30 pm »

I've renewed my public school position twice and have not had to submit a Korean background check.

Yea, never had to get a korean one when i resigned...

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

more
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2013, 05:21:04 pm »

I've renewed my public school position twice and have not had to submit a Korean background check.

Yea, never had to get a korean one when i resigned...

Why would you need one, you are leaving!!!

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

more
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2013, 05:23:35 pm »

Yes, I guess it just sucks working for my MOE, they need everything and they don't give us money for English Camps.   >:( >:( >:( >:(

Sorry, I am just grumpy that I have to fund my English Camp out of my own pocket.

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

• skippy
  • Expert Waygook

• January 12, 2011, 04:08:17 pm
    • Daejeon
    more
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2013, 07:44:34 pm »
Just because you did not supply one, did not mean the school did not get one.   Hagwons usually have to get permission from teacher to get.  Sometimes it is just filling in a form or signing something.  Thinking about it,  I do not even think a signature is needed.   All your school needs is ARC number and passport number.  They get themselves from the police.

Korean CRC are still required by MOEs.  Sometimes getting the permisson is avoid because of back scratching with certain agencies.   Immigration does it matter of course when deciding on granting a visa.   So maybe MOEs get it done on behest of the teachers.

As to OP, this is a good question.  In general for other country CRCs any record found usually means visa refusal.   So how does the Korean side work.
Please consider adding some info to your "Personal Text"  Like type of school, visa status, county of origin.  These little bits of info can help people help you.

• newb
  • Newgookin

• November 20, 2012, 10:38:27 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2013, 09:09:20 pm »

Yes, I guess it just sucks working for my MOE, they need everything and they don't give us money for English Camps.   >:( >:( >:( >:(

Sorry, I am just grumpy that I have to fund my English Camp out of my own pocket.

But they have the money for regular drunk fests and useless English zones.  There is no way in hell I'd use my hard earned money to support their habit.  Our summer camp is cancelled because they said they're out of fund.  So more R&R for me.  :P
HEY CAN YOU FILL THE OIL AND CHECK THE GAS PLEASE!!!!

• cruisemonkey
  • Expert Waygook

• March 25, 2011, 02:17:57 pm
    • China
    more
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2013, 01:41:12 am »

It would be a cold day in hell (or a hot day at one of the poles) before I did so.
The Ks once gave me five minutes notice. I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

more
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2013, 05:19:01 am »

But they have the money for regular drunk fests and useless English zones.  There is no way in hell I'd use my hard earned money to support their habit.  Our summer camp is cancelled because they said they're out of fund.  So more R&R for me.  :P

Yes, yes and yes again. My school regularly does that and it costs nothing less than 2 or 3 million every time. They installed an elevator 6 months ago but to this day it remains switched off. I hurt my ankle this week and asked if I could use the elevator and was told 'No', when I asked why? They shrugged their shoulders and said they don't know.

Sorry I am derailing the thread, Mods, will stop now and try not to feel so grumpy.  ;D ;D