Read 27971 times

• joohls
  • Explorer

• January 09, 2013, 12:24:30 pm
    • Seoul
Hi all,

Just wanted to make a post about extending a tourist visa in seoul WITHOUT doing a visa run since I could find very little information on this matter when I needed it.

I have 10 days left until I leave Korea. Yesterday I realized that my plane ticket was booked for 6 days after my visa expired. Uh oh. After some internet searching I found that I could be fined as much as 100,000 won per day! Disaster!!!

So, today I went to the immigration office at jonggak station (previously located at anguk station. Do not go to anguk st., the immi office is no longer there...) with very little hope that I would be able to extend- as the immi website says that you need to do this 2 months prior to your visa expiration... But you can in fact do it with less than that.

1. You will need to have your ticket OUT of Korea + your passport. You must leave on the date specified on the ticket. You can only extend this way ONE time.

2. google your closest immi office. The anguk station office is closed, in case you didn't read what I wrote above.

3. When you get to the immigration office you will need to get a number ticket to wait for your turn. There is no ticket for what you are doing, so pick a ticket under the "residency" section. You will know what I mean when you get there.

3. Explain your situation and they will ask for your flight ticket (print out the email you got from the airline) and passport. You will be asked to fill out a very small piece of paperwork.

4. BOOM! Your visa is extended 30 days. No fee.   8)

Hope this can help someone out. :)

« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 11:52:12 pm by joohls »

• skippy
  • Expert Waygook

• January 12, 2011, 04:08:17 pm
    • Daejeon
    more
Thanks for the details.

This is nothing new.    Immigration has probably run into this scenario many times.   Planes do get canceled and other events come up.   Many immigration departments around the world are going to be a little fair in these situations.  Good on you OP for paying attention and not doing an awshucks when you left.

The info is available on the hikorea website.
http://www.hikorea.go.kr/pt/InfoDetailR_en.pt?categoryId=2&parentId=391&catSeq=429&showMenuId=376&visaId=B1B2

Plus from the immigration website
http://www.immigration.go.kr/HP/IMM80/index.do
Click the link Permission for extension of stay for short-term visa holders(less than 90days)

Did not notice OP, did you have to pay a fee?
Please consider adding some info to your "Personal Text"  Like type of school, visa status, county of origin.  These little bits of info can help people help you.

• joohls
  • Explorer

• Seoul
Thanks for the details.

This is nothing new.    Immigration has probably run into this scenario many times.   Planes do get canceled and other events come up.   Many immigration departments around the world are going to be a little fair in these situations.  Good on you OP for paying attention and not doing an awshucks when you left.

The info is available on the hikorea website.
http://www.hikorea.go.kr/pt/InfoDetailR_en.pt?categoryId=2&parentId=391&catSeq=429&showMenuId=376&visaId=B1B2

Plus from the immigration website
http://www.immigration.go.kr/HP/IMM80/index.do
Click the link Permission for extension of stay for short-term visa holders(less than 90days)

Did not notice OP, did you have to pay a fee?

Yep, there was no fee.

I saw both of those websites before doing all this. I just thought I's give a more detailed explanation. The hikorea website is totally infuriating. The forms pages only work if you have internet explorer or something- if ever!

The most inportant difference with the given info on those pages is that you can extend with less than 2 months before expiration of your visa.

• skippy
  • Expert Waygook

• Daejeon
    more
Hmm on the 2 months thing.  I will look closer.  Yea the hikorea website is a bit infuriating, but is filled with good info.
Please consider adding some info to your "Personal Text"  Like type of school, visa status, county of origin.  These little bits of info can help people help you.

Thanks for sharing.  I did not know about this.  It may come in very handy for me.
"The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."  Steve Jobs

1. You will need to have your ticket OUT of Korea + your passport. You must leave on the date specified on the ticket. You can only extend this way ONE time.

When you say that you can only extend this way ONE time, do you mean that:

* You can only do this once in a lifetime or
* You can only extend your stay from three months to four months?

I may be interested in doing this on multiple occasions if possible.

"The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."  Steve Jobs

I'm now here on a three month tourist stay.  Is that the same as a tourist visa?

I have a tourism visa for another country and that involved going through an application process.  My current stay in Korea did not involve applying for a tourist visa.

I'm wondering if I still qualify for the one month extension discussed in this thread.

• joohls
  • Explorer

• Seoul
I'm now here on a three month tourist stay.  Is that the same as a tourist visa?

I have a tourism visa for another country and that involved going through an application process.  My current stay in Korea did not involve applying for a tourist visa.

I'm wondering if I still qualify for the one month extension discussed in this thread.

I doubt that there are multiple types of tourist visa. I didn't have to apply for the visa. You just sort of automatically have it when you land in korea. People from some countries do have to apply- but you would have found out about that at the airport!

• skippy
  • Expert Waygook

• Daejeon
    more

I doubt that there are multiple types of tourist visa. I didn't have to apply for the visa. You just sort of automatically have it when you land in korea. People from some countries do have to apply- but you would have found out about that at the airport!

There are sort of two types of tourist visas.   Actually just one tour sit visa and visa waiver.    I guess Marshmellow man is on a visa waiver, which you descirbed.  For visa waiver all a person needs is a passport from a certain country like US or Canada.   A surprising little fact is South Africans need a tourist visa and can not just fly here.

Still this extension is good for both.

Al MM did you click on the link provided.  They do provide the details of getting the extension.

OK.  Thanks for that folks.  This may come in handy shortly.

Skippy.

I have only had a quick look at one of the sites.  I will examine them more thoroughly.

• juliehrrs
  • Veteran

• May 28, 2010, 09:23:47 am
    • South Korea
Can anyone tell me if this information is still valid?

the two months is the time from which you can begin to extend any visa. You can't go 2.5 or 3 months before the expiry date, you can only extend visas WITHIN 2 months of the expiry
I'm loving iHerb. Check out http://www.iherb.com/ and enter my Rewards Code HLC923 to receive up to $10.00 off your first purchase

Can anyone tell me if this information is still valid?

Yes.  Still valid.

• jamjam
  • Explorer

• April 10, 2012, 08:49:12 am
    • Seoul
Re: How to extend a tourist visa in Korea without visa run. My experience.
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2014, 01:52:58 pm »
Hey folks, this will NOT work for USA citizens on a tourist visa..

I called the S. Korean immigration information number, 1345, TWICE and spoke with 2 different agents. They both said that USA citizens with tourist visas can not get any extensions UNLESS there is an accident or emergency, like a car accident, OR there is bad weather and your flight is delayed.

The OP didn't mention where he/she is from and what his/her visa status was, so it's difficult to tell if this situation applies to you. DO NOT just assume you can get an extension based on the original post of this thread. There are more variables that need to be assessed...

• jamjam
  • Explorer

• April 10, 2012, 08:49:12 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2014, 11:37:07 pm »
UPDATE

I tried to get an extension on Dec. 18, 2014 and it did NOT work.

The OP either left out some vital info. or the policy changed since her post.

I'm American on a tourist visa. The only way you can get an extension is for some reason such as bad weather cancelling your flight, sickness (probably needs doctor's note), or some reason outside of your control. You'll need proof and they'll also take a written statement from you at the office, which a supervisor will review and then make a determination.

Even if you do get an extension, they'll only extend it a few days or so, you won't be able to get 30 days, unless you can somehow prove that it was the only option you had.

Just wanted to add my experience. I'm an American currently on tourist visa and my extension was approved. I just told them that I wanted to cancel my flight due to the typhoon. I just had to submit a couple of documents showing the typhoon tracking info. They gave me an extra 3 weeks or so, until the date that I told them I'd like to leave.

• jaytothepee
  • Newgookin

• April 14, 2020, 11:10:45 am
    • Ulsan , South Korea
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2020, 12:51:16 pm »
Any Idea if this is still valid ?

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2020, 07:55:27 am »
Any Idea if this is still valid ?

I know an American who got the extension yesterday, so yes. This was at Seoul Global Center at Jongak. Only thing needed was a print out of the ticket, which had a departure date 1 day after the original visa expiry date, and she was given a 30 day extension.
Does your wife submit to you?