Read 1188 times

• travelinpantsgirl
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• September 09, 2010, 06:00:18 pm
    • Seoul
    more
School dynamics-curiosity
« on: March 14, 2011, 07:07:35 pm »
Can anyone (who's been teaching here a long time) explain the Korean (mainly Elementary) school system social dynamics? I'll give an example of my observations. I've noticed at dinners and gatherings subject teachers only sit with each other. Homeroom teachers sit with each other and all the men sit together (regardless of position). I am concerned that since my former CT that I like has become a homeroom that it's expected that she won't socialize with subject teachers, is this the case? I am concerned that eventually my favorite CT currently will become one and will be expected to not socialize with us subject teachers anymore. We get along in and out of school, so I am just wondering if anyone has cracked this egg of mystery and can shed some light for me.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 08:01:38 pm by weirdgirlinkorea »
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.

• andyfoggy
  • Super Waygook

• December 07, 2010, 12:11:55 pm
    • South Korea
Re: School dynamics-curiosity
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 07:26:31 pm »
funny, i was thinking about this just today
there must be a system
but this is my 4th year in public school 8th year in Korea and i still havent got a clue about it.
i sat between my principal and vice principal today, why? coz there was a free seat
i see the concentration on the other new korean teachers every time lunch time comes, where should i sit etc and i dont need that extra stress
if you figure it out, post it here
i teach in middle school, lots of politics, eating kamjatang is a major hassle if you are sitting opposite the principal as you are trying to impress him by not picking up the bones with your hands (like you should) if you are a Korean teacher with ambitions
i just pick them up
and recently ie this year the teachers just got a whole more clicky like you said
i miss the normal life of a Hagwan teacher at times

• travelinpantsgirl
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• September 09, 2010, 06:00:18 pm
    • Seoul
    more
Re: School dynamics-curiosity
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 08:01:17 pm »
:-) When I used to eat the lunches I saw the same thing you saw with the new teachers, but as we don't have a cafeteria and we eat at a small table in the office some of the mystery was taken out of it for them. If I hear anything about this I'll let you.
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.