Read 6622 times

• Mezoti97
  • The Legend

• April 14, 2011, 03:02:50 pm
    • South Korea
Re: Does your Korean CT ever utterly destroy your activities?
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2013, 09:55:20 am »
I've also had an uber-demanding co-teacher in the past who would insist that I show her my lesson plans and discuss them with her in advance -- and, more often than not, she would quickly dismiss them and shoot them down, since she was basically impossible to please. Actually, my other co-teachers at that time also made me show them the materials and ideas that I wanted to use in advance, and they also usually weren't crazy about them. In this case, I guess my activities were destroyed even before they had a chance to even be used in class.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 10:40:25 am by Mezoti97 »

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2013, 10:02:44 am »
Last year my coteacher would automatically decline the first suggestion for an activity and automatically agree to the second.  Every time.  All year.  I just made sure the thing I wanted to do was the second thing I showed her.

• TeachaTeacha
  • Expert Waygook

• September 06, 2012, 03:27:09 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2013, 11:05:39 am »
I found a really simple solution to the coteacher immediately giving the students the answers. They receive double points if they answer correctly without a "hint" but only regular point if they get a "hint". This has had the effect of making the student beg the coteacher not to tell them the answer unless they really don't know it.

Brilliant.

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2013, 11:33:47 am »
For the first few months. My co-teachers... ugh. All of the above. That changed this week. I have taken control.

No more showing up 10-15 minutes after the bell. I set up during the break, the bell goes, and I start. I have told the teachers that I expect them on time, or they are not welcome. Reduce the distractions. Punctuality is part of English culture.
The students actually sit down without me asking. They are actually paying attention. They are behaving and performing better now that they know who is in charge.

As for speaking Korean. I have let the teachers know that while in my class. They are to only speak English. If I ask them to translate, then it is OK.

I should mention I teach high school, so even though they are extremely low level. They are practically adults, and I think they appreciate me treating them as such.

The co-teacher moral has definitely gone down. But the students are enjoying themselves and not sleeping. They are more open to making mistakes and talking.

I'll let you know if this ends up screwing my vaca time or something.

• Cask85
  • Veteran

• June 30, 2010, 09:40:07 am
    • Korea
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2013, 12:44:58 pm »
My main co-teacher is a lazy teacher. Great guy outside of the classroom and in our office, but during class time, I can't stand having him there.

When I first started, he handed everything over to me. I had no problems with leading the classes on my own (grades 1-6). It helped greatly to build a bond with my students and to establish a sense of authority over them.

But second semester, he went and spent 6 months studying English at some community college. The co-teacher who replaced him still let me teach classes on my own.

My former co-t came back this year and resumed his position as head co-teacher. He also started showing up to class and showed interest in wanting to teach together. Problem is, he does not know how to go about it. It's been almost 6 months now, and the classes that we do "teach" together are generally him flipping through each lesson, giving students the answers, and then giving them 20 minutes to nap, talk with their friends, or read chapter books that clearly above their levels.

If I prepare worksheets or games, he'll give them a minute or two before writing everything out on the board for everyone to copy. So a worksheet that's supposed to last 10 minutes (and challenge the students to apply the key expressions) is boiled down to 3-5 minutes.

If I ask students questions about the lesson ("What did Sally say to Yuna?"), he'll go over to a student, whisper the answer into his/her ear, then volunteer that student to answer. He expects me to do the same when he asks questions regarding the lesson, but I never offer any answers to students because there's no challenge in that.

At the moment, he's stopped showing up for the 3rd grade class because there's a student who grew up in the States, so he feels insecure about speaking English in front of her. But for the 5th and 6th graders, he "leads." He said that if I stay another year at this school, he'd like to be more involved in teaching the 3rd and 4th graders.

It made me groan hearing that. I feel like since his involvement at the start of this new semester, all my students have taken 2 steps back.

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2013, 02:05:54 pm »
what's a Korean CT?

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2013, 02:46:17 pm »
My CT just did this today.  We were supposed to do a roleplay for the students to give them an idea of how to make a phone conversation with their worksheets.

After the first period, she apparently decided she didn't want to do the roleplay, which isn't so bad, but she also decided to not explain the activity either.  She just told the students to write, to which they burst into a loud ruckus, and bringing them back in was impossible at that point.

To top it off, I made masks of celebrities for the kids to use in their dialogues and she seemed to want to neglect using them at all.

It's okay, though.  I wanted my lesson ruined and my time wasted.   ;D

• Mezoti97
  • The Legend

• April 14, 2011, 03:02:50 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2013, 04:08:15 pm »

• newb
  • Newgookin

• November 20, 2012, 10:38:27 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2013, 05:07:43 pm »
what's a Korean CT?

Korean co-teacher.

Really?  I always thought it was Korean cut-throat.
HEY CAN YOU FILL THE OIL AND CHECK THE GAS PLEASE!!!!

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2013, 05:30:27 pm »
what's a Korean CT?

Korean co-teacher.
Sorry, sarcasm. I don't have any CT's.