Read 3043 times

• gookie
  • Super Waygook

• August 31, 2010, 12:03:12 pm
    • Daegu
Teaching my co-teachers
« on: March 14, 2011, 01:44:42 pm »
So i was informed last week that I need to start an afterschool lesson (once a week) to teach English to my English teachers. I've been teaching since August 2010 and this is my first time do this sorta thing. My teachers' level of competence with English is quite high, and some of them even read novels in their spare time. I just want to ask those who are already doing this sort of thing - what are you doing with YOUR teachers when their English level is very high/advanced? I was thinking of doing news articles.

• bmoney
  • Waygookin

• November 17, 2010, 08:26:22 am
    • Incheon, SK
Re: Teaching my co-teachers
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 01:47:41 pm »
I alternate weeks between reading news articles and watching like a sitcom or something so were not always reading
Im watching modern family with my co teachers and they seem to like it, i will say they are all pretty young tho so that helps

• teach1
  • Veteran

• September 02, 2010, 09:12:52 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 01:50:32 pm »
i had high level co-workers and we did conversation. basically i'd bring in a topic (like fashion) start off with a few questions and just let it take its course. sometimes i'd have to facilitate, but usually they do it on their own. there are lots of sites that offer conversation topics and even questions, too.

i did an art lesson where i showed them modern art pictures and asked them to guess what it's about and led into a discussion of modern art. they loved it!

• teach1
  • Veteran

• September 02, 2010, 09:12:52 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 01:51:34 pm »
here's a site i found helpful:

http://iteslj.org/Lessons/

• gookie
  • Super Waygook

• Daegu
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 02:08:40 pm »
thanks for the quick replies...thanks for the site e.s., i use that site often for warm-up games but i guess i missed that section.

Alternating sitcoms and articles seems to be a great idea.
Any other good recommendations for funny and relate-able sitcoms?

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 02:23:39 pm »
Hi try
http://eflclassroom.ning.com's lesson's in a can. Lots of stuff there!
Also have a look at Handoutsonline.com. Subscription costs something like 20 bucks a year but it is worth every cent!
Hope that helps!

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 03:11:39 pm »
I do a few teacher's workshops every week, one for the English teachers who have a few wide range of English skills, and another for the non-English teachers, who have a fairly low level.

For the English teacher group, I like to start by sharing new games and activities that I've found here or elsewhere while productively using my desk-warming time (cough cough), and then usually I have either a bunch of newspaper clippings I want explained to me, or we just chat about the various wierdnesses of the week. Sometimes I prep topics or bring props.

If u want a good site that covers world news, I found www.breakingnewsenglish.com to be excellent: it has Korean relative articles of varying levels of language difficulty, and has related activities and lessons for each article.

cheers!

• gookie
  • Super Waygook

• Daegu
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 03:33:00 pm »
I do a few teacher's workshops every week, one for the English teachers who have a few wide range of English skills, and another for the non-English teachers, who have a fairly low level.

For the English teacher group, I like to start by sharing new games and activities that I've found here or elsewhere while productively using my desk-warming time (cough cough), and then usually I have either a bunch of newspaper clippings I want explained to me, or we just chat about the various wierdnesses of the week. Sometimes I prep topics or bring props.

If u want a good site that covers world news, I found www.breakingnewsenglish.com to be excellent: it has Korean relative articles of varying levels of language difficulty, and has related activities and lessons for each article.

cheers!

Ya i used that world break news site for my English club with students because i find them to be of good length - not too short or too long. but as for highly advanced English teachers, those are too easy and short. Perhaps something thats longer? Thanks  ;D

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 03:19:17 pm »
Thanks for all the awesome web sites guys. There is so much info on them, a life times worth of lessons.
I did a quick needs analysis with my teachers when I first met them to help get them chatting and get a few ideas of thing they want to do. Makes you look all professional as well  8)

There ain't much to it, but I will put mine up any way. Might save you 5-10 min. Enjoy.

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 12:58:55 pm »
e.s - I really like your 'art' idea - showing modern art pics and asking the teachers to guess what it meant. Did you use art that was 'supposed' to show a particular meaning, and then share it with them, or did you just show pictures and ask them to interpret the meaning?