Read 3047 times

• tastytom
  • Adventurer

• February 12, 2011, 10:45:24 pm
    • South Korea
Anyone else have to go to an "education workshop?"
« on: June 14, 2013, 09:49:01 am »
My co teacher just told me there's a two day "education workshop" planned in July that I have to attend with all of the staff. One of the days is a Saturday. Not only do I not see the point of being there, but I'm pretty sure they can't force me into a Saturday.

How do I get out of this?

• 0mnslnd
  • Expert Waygook

• June 03, 2011, 08:10:01 am
Re: Anyone else have to go to an "education workshop?"
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 09:58:24 am »
My co teacher just told me there's a two day "education workshop" planned in July that I have to attend with all of the staff. One of the days is a Saturday. Not only do I not see the point of being there, but I'm pretty sure they can't force me into a Saturday.

you say no. If you wanna be taken seriously as an adult,  you gotta learn how to stand your ground.
If they play the Korean card, you play the foreigner card.

Problem solved, thread closed!
Out. Never been happier

• glb0b
  • Expert Waygook

• July 06, 2010, 03:02:56 pm
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 10:00:28 am »
Most schools have them at some time in the year. The workshop part is pretty boring. The drinking and noraebang part is like any other teachers trip.

If you don't want to go, say you are busy that Saturday and can't go and see if they insist you must go.

They can insist, but only if they pay you overtime.

• oskinny1
  • Expert Waygook

• November 01, 2010, 10:31:37 am
    • Busan
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 10:18:25 am »
Just go. It is one Saturday, you have 51 others that you can enjoy.

If you do skip out on it please do not come back here later complaining about how they treat you differently than the other teachers and how it isn't fair.

Believe it or not folks, you signed up for them to fly you out to Korea to work. Yes, you do have a pretty set schedule, but if you want them to be flexible with you, you need to be flexible with them.

• Morticae
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 31, 2010, 12:45:33 pm
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 10:21:49 am »
If the whole school is going, then it wont be in English. This means it's basically pointless for you to attend. For the same reason, I've never been to any of the weekly staff meetings.

• grajoker
  • Expert Waygook

• October 08, 2010, 09:02:27 am
    • yeoju korea
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 10:22:54 am »
You have to see it as an opportunity fr you too meet new people and network..learn something new.etc..

• Grimne_Lothos
  • Expert Waygook

• December 28, 2011, 12:56:27 pm
    • Buyeo, south korea
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 10:26:44 am »
if its considered training and not a teachers trip then of course they can require you go.   read your public school contract.  You can always refuse to go but they would be entitled to take discipline/fire you.

• Epistemology
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 19, 2010, 01:57:27 pm
    more
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 10:28:35 am »
Its not a workshop at all, by the way. That's just a cover story. It's a trip for teachers to get wasted on public money.

Sounds lovely, eh?
Away an bile yer heid ya numpty,ye dinnae ken whit yer talkin aboot.

• Ramplo
  • Waygookin

• August 28, 2012, 09:10:40 pm
    • South Korea
    more
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 10:29:19 am »
My school changed it so that it is a Thursday/Friday trip.  I have no idea where we are going or what we will do but I'm sure none of it will be in English.  It seems strange because after that I have summer camp and the first week of fall classes then I'm leaving but w/e I'm sucking it up and going.

• tastytom
  • Adventurer

• South Korea
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 10:34:49 am »
The biggest issue for me is that time spent around my co workers is generally really uncomfortable and awkward. I can't imagine two whole days of it.

The real question is... is this legit? If so, then I'm just going to have to frame it as an opportunity to get drunk with co workers and try to get to know them better. Might help my cred around here...

• tastytom
  • Adventurer

• South Korea
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2013, 10:39:43 am »
I quite like sitting on the bench around here to be honest.

• oskinny1
  • Expert Waygook

• November 01, 2010, 10:31:37 am
    • Busan
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2013, 10:40:05 am »

The real question is... is this legit? If so, then I'm just going to have to frame it as an opportunity to get drunk with co workers and try to get to know them better. Might help my cred around here...

Exactly.

Going on these trips really helped me get in with the admin and teachers. There will probably be a lot of time with you sitting there with no clue about what is going on, but endure and it will hopefully pay off.

• Epistemology
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 19, 2010, 01:57:27 pm
    more
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2013, 10:44:07 am »
The biggest issue for me is that time spent around my co workers is generally really uncomfortable and awkward. I can't imagine two whole days of it.

It's a Korean thing, just about every workplace does it at some point. Alcohol abuse and work go hand in hand. If you really want to get out of it, pretend you have to go to a wedding or something. It has to be something big and important.
Away an bile yer heid ya numpty,ye dinnae ken whit yer talkin aboot.

• fishead
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 23, 2010, 07:58:05 am
    • Yangju Korea
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2013, 11:32:13 am »
   I like those things. I like  Hyweh Korean style Sashimi. It's basically just Japanese Sashimi minus the Tuna and Salmon.

• specter13
  • Expert Waygook

• November 29, 2010, 10:00:26 pm
    • Seoul South Korea
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2013, 11:36:28 am »
Just go. It is one Saturday, you have 51 others that you can enjoy.

If you do skip out on it please do not come back here later complaining about how they treat you differently than the other teachers and how it isn't fair.

Believe it or not folks, you signed up for them to fly you out to Korea to work. Yes, you do have a pretty set schedule, but if you want them to be flexible with you, you need to be flexible with them.

Couldn't agree more, suck it up, go out there and enjoy the free food and drinks. Trust me doing things like this will make it a better working place in the long run. You are in a foreign country why not try something different.

This is just 2 days out of 365.

• Mezoti97
  • The Legend

• April 14, 2011, 03:02:50 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2013, 02:27:02 pm »

I'm not really sure, but this "education workshop" could be code for a teachers' trip. Personally, in my experience, as far as I can recall, I don't remember ever being told to attend an "education workshop" -- my first public school where I used to work in Korea several years ago was pretty big on having all the teachers/staff do activities outside of school together. They were pretty straight-forward about it and pretty much made it mandatory to attend, so I did go to things like teacher dinners, teacher trips, etc. at the time (since, at the time, I wanted to renew my contract and stay in Korea for another year). Luckily, the public schools where I worked after that weren't quite as big on doing those things, much to my relief.

Anyhow, I digress -- I would say, if you like your school, like being in Korea, and want to stay/renew your contract, then it would probably be a good idea to attend, if you don't want to hurt your chances of getting a contract renewal. However, if you don't care and don't want to stay at the same school/in Korea once your contract ends, then perhaps you can try to tell your co-teacher politely that you can't attend. It usually helps to say that you have an appointment that day rather than just saying that you don't want to go; your co-teacher will be more likely to be understanding and accepting of your declination that way.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 02:40:07 pm by Mezoti97 »

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2013, 02:47:24 pm »

Take that extra copy of your contract out of your desk. Hold it over your head and point to the part where it says "...NET is not contractually bound to attend meetings and/or trips out of town and/or on weekends." If you're EPIK it should be pg. 7 section II. middle of the page'ish.

Conversely, you could suck it up and lose a Saturday making a good impression to your school. If, like tastytom says, you're done after this year then screw it. Do what makes you happy. Working conditions be damned!