Read 2715 times

• Ectofuego
  • Featured Contributor

• November 02, 2010, 09:21:10 am
    • Mars
They Want Me to Stay 6 More Months? GEPIK
« on: March 10, 2011, 10:46:17 am »
My contract is up as of June 1st and I hear they want me to sign a 6 month contract.  They have funding that goes until December and finishes.  I teach an afterschool program in an elementary school.  That is all i teach, im not a regular gepik teacher even though they told me i would be.  When I came here I was informed that I would teach some afterschool classes, and I was told I would have a co-teacher. Both were lies.  It was not the principal's lie, it was from the teachers that interviewed me.  maybe it was miscommunication, I try to give them he benefit of the doubt.

Needless to say, I have no intention of staying for only a 6 month contract and am wondering what to say to get out of this smoothly.  I plan on changing jobs and staying in korea next term but not public school.
I have a meeting a 3pm with the principal.  The korean teachers "didn't" know what it was about, but I assume this could be a reason for it so I need a solution soon.
I'm Jason and I approve this message!

• creeper1
  • Veteran

• September 09, 2010, 09:02:08 am
    • Hwaseong City
Re: They Want Me to Stay 6 More Months? GEPIK
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 10:55:09 am »
It's real easy. Just tell them you are going home because you miss your family when you complete your contract. They don't have to know that you'll be coming back to Korea.

• Ectofuego
  • Featured Contributor

• Mars
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 10:56:43 am »
Im not planning on making a vacation home. 

• Ectofuego
  • Featured Contributor

• Mars
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 10:57:06 am »
And would actually prefer to transfer the visa if i can

• shhowse
  • Featured Contributor

• August 25, 2009, 08:49:24 am
    • Mokpo
    more
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 11:07:38 am »
Perhaps say something like while you have enjoyed your time at their school you would like to pursue other opportunities in Korea, with different age groups.

Basically play it up, pretend you had a good time at their school so feelings aren't hurt, and suggest you could help interview candidates to replace you, in vague terms though, not really committing to anything.

• travelinpantsgirl
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• September 09, 2010, 06:00:18 pm
    • Seoul
    more
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 11:20:20 am »
Say you want to move to Seoul (a part of Seoul that is opposite from the part of Gyeonggi that you live in now) to be near your girlfriend. If you don't have one and they know it, say it's a new relationship and it would be easier to be near her. I am sorry I went by your username figuring you were a guy, but if you're a girl, you get the point. They're not going to offer you Seoul housing to stay, so, you win.
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.

• SpaceRook
  • Expert Waygook

• November 18, 2010, 11:54:36 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 11:36:23 am »
Needless to say, I have no intention of staying for only a 6 month contract and am wondering what to say to get out of this smoothly.  I plan on changing jobs and staying in korea next term but not public school.
I have a meeting a 3pm with the principal.  The korean teachers "didn't" know what it was about, but I assume this could be a reason for it so I need a solution soon.

I'm confused about the problem.  What's wrong with just saying, "I enjoyed my time here, but I am looking for something long term with a different type of school."?

• pyeager
  • Fanatical Supporter!

• January 19, 2010, 08:19:14 am
    • Korea
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 11:40:32 am »
Yeah, a contract that doesn't include the two months of winter vacation is not worth signing.

I personally don't think there's anything to sweat here...we sign year long contracts; not renewing, or not signing a 6 month contract shouldn't be anything that they look down upon. Especially with the GEPIK budget cuts, who knows what the job market will look like here in 6 months for NETs? The job security of a year-long contract is also something to bring up.

I am sorry I went by your username figuring you were a guy, but if you're a girl, you get the point.
Weirdgirl: There's also that nice little "gendercon" under the name ;)

• Ectofuego
  • Featured Contributor

• Mars
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 11:41:25 am »
I will say exactly what you said.  Thank you for wording it for me

I'm confused about the problem.  What's wrong with just saying, "I enjoyed my time here, but I am looking for something long term with a different type of school."?

• rhetoric
  • Veteran

• April 14, 2010, 02:25:10 pm
    • Samcheonpo
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 11:57:53 am »
My contract also expires on June 1st, and I'm told it's not being renewed because my salary is too high.  I've had a hard time finding other work at that time -- September and April are the big intakes -- so you might want to take the six month contract if you're not certain you can find work, leaving later when you do find work, on or before the scheduled end of the contract.

Also, you may want to explore with the Principal there whether they are offering you a six month contract because of budgetary constraints, which you hint at.  It could be that they would offer you another six month contract in December, and if that is their intention, and again you have no other avenue of employment, it may be worth considering.  Either way, you should ask now for them to give you a letter saying that you completed your one year contract under good terms, which should aid you in your employment search.
Mother is the Invention of Necessity

• ntombiza
  • Waygookin

• March 09, 2010, 01:38:39 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 11:59:33 am »
My contract is up in June 7th, will probably be looking for 6 month contract cas next year January I  will be heading back home for good.