Read 2529 times

• Here2day
  • Adventurer

• December 15, 2010, 10:34:28 am
    • Korea
Question about Letter of Release.
« on: May 29, 2013, 12:44:10 pm »
Hi!

I am currently working for EPIK but will be leaving soon. I was wondering if there is an easier way than getting all my documents again. My visa is OK until one month after my contract (E-2) finishes so I was hoping I could just transfer it. Is that possible and how do I do that?

I have also heard that EPIK can give me a letter of release that I can present to a new employer and wont need to get all docs again, is this true?

Any advice would be helpful! Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 09:23:08 am by Here2day »

• skippy
  • Expert Waygook

• January 12, 2011, 04:08:17 pm
    • Daejeon
    more
Re: Question about Letter of Release.
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 04:06:21 pm »
Hi!

I am currently working for EPIK but will be leaving soon. I was wondering if there is an easier way than getting all my documents again. My visa is OK until one month after my contract (E-2) finishes so I was hoping I could just transfer it. Is that possible and how do I do that?

I have also heard that EPIK can give me a letter of release that I can present to a new employer and wont need to get all docs again, is this true?

You do not need a LOR if your contract is finished.  Also, EPIK and many public schools (I hear) as a matter of course DO NOT give LORs.   That extra month is now common with immigration.   That month is sort of given to allow people to wrap things up.   After your contract, during that "13th month" would be a good time to transfer/apply for a D-10.

If you do get a D-10, you can avoid to a certain degree the paperwork hassles.   That does not mean it might not be asked for or needed.   For example, if you leave the country on a D-10 for more then 3 months you will need a new CRC.   EPIK and public school programs are also picky in their paperwork requirements.   If you have a D-10, for a purposes immigration does not need degree or CRC.  Yet if EPIK asks for it and you want that job, you will need to provide it. 

A good course of action is to apply for the D-10 and consider getting extra copies of paperwork just in case.   Do know, that CRCs expires from 6 months of date of issue.  Plus, the same with degrees.  Ya  I know strange with the degrees.

Good Luck
Please consider adding some info to your "Personal Text"  Like type of school, visa status, county of origin.  These little bits of info can help people help you.

• skippy
  • Expert Waygook

• January 12, 2011, 04:08:17 pm
    • Daejeon
    more
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 07:42:20 pm »
I think that the extra month is so that the ARC doesn't need to be extended if you extend your contract by a week or if your job starts a week or two after you enter the country or other stuff like that. Your visa still becomes invalid 2 weeks after you finish working. To be safe, you really should apply for a transfer to another sponsor (employer) or to a D10 during the 2 weeks BEFORE your job finishes.

Ya, that is the thing.   When it comes to transfers and D-10s immigration is picky about timing.  Had a friend who was told to come back later for a D-10 even through he had finished his contract.  I see where trog is coming from with the two weeks in immigration law terms.   Best move is apply for in the time he recommended.  If you told to come back, then try again later.   Do not be like me and most Koreans and do it last minute and find out you messed things up.
Like Skippy said, you don't need the LOR if your contract is finishing (as opposed to you leaving early). You just need to show the contract to the people at immigration (even though they have a copy on file).

Finding paperwork and typing on a keyboard is hard work for immi officials.  Bring your own contract if you can.  Do the heavy lifting for the official and help them come to a yes decision.
Please consider adding some info to your "Personal Text"  Like type of school, visa status, county of origin.  These little bits of info can help people help you.

• Ley_Druid
  • The Legend

• February 17, 2011, 08:36:33 am
    • Shinan-Gun, Jeollanam-Do, South Korea
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 07:53:39 pm »
Hi!

You do not need a LOR if your contract is finished.  Also, EPIK and many public schools (I hear) as a matter of course DO NOT give LORs.   That extra month is now common with immigration.   That month is sort of given to allow people to wrap things up.   After your contract, during that "13th month" would be a good time to transfer/apply for a D-10.

If you do get a D-10, you can avoid to a certain degree the paperwork hassles.   That does not mean it might not be asked for or needed.   For example, if you leave the country on a D-10 for more then 3 months you will need a new CRC.   EPIK and public school programs are also picky in their paperwork requirements.   If you have a D-10, for a purposes immigration does not need degree or CRC.  Yet if EPIK asks for it and you want that job, you will need to provide it. 

A good course of action is to apply for the D-10 and consider getting extra copies of paperwork just in case.   Do know, that CRCs expires from 6 months of date of issue.  Plus, the same with degrees.  Ya  I know strange with the degrees.

Good Luck

I wonder why, when I left for six weeks, between my old public school job and my current one, why I was not allowed to get a D-10 if I was leaving Korea. I told them I would be gone five and a half weeks, and they told me that I couldn't leave Korea with a D-10, even though I had all my contract stuff. They actually kept asking me to stay in Korea. Very odd.