Read 1962 times

Live Music Scene in Korea
« on: March 10, 2011, 09:26:04 am »
Hey Everyone,

I've just settled here in Korea, I'm based in Sangju in Gyeongbuk province - so almost centre of the country. I was just wondering if anyone has any tips on how to get involved in the music scene here, either with westerners or Koreans alike??

I did music major and masters at university and always played in loads of bands and I'm really wanting to get involved in something out here to get my musical fix.

I mostly play bass guitar, plus ukulele (randomly), and a bit of guitar, piano and drums. I'm into all sorts of music and played in loads of different groups so anything goes! - rock, funk, blues, jazz, reggae, hip-hop, latin etc etc. I'm also good at reading music if anything came up that needed that, (I know there are orchestras about).

I'm willing to travel (within reason) so if anyone could point me in the right direction, knows or people to speak to or places to go or wants to get into live music the same as me please get in touch! I'd really appreciate it!

Cheers everyone,

Tom

p.s. this is my first post on here so if I've posted in the wrong section, or not posted properly etc let me know. Cheers!

• meganm
  • Explorer

• October 03, 2010, 06:49:36 pm
    • Chuncheon, South Korea
Re: Live Music Scene in Korea
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 09:38:51 am »
This perhaps isn't too helpful, but the website koreagigguide.com has a pretty good list of concerts. This sight usually shows the stuff that is going on in Seoul. I know there are a lot of forigners who play in band around Hongdae. Good luck.

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 09:45:04 am »
Welcome guy!

It's nice to see a fellow bass player on here!  I was in a band for my first two years until the boys went back to their countries.  Now, I'm looking to regroup with the foreigners here.

In my xperience, I've found that EVERY one plays guitar, but no one knows bass.  I'd suggest going to the foreigner bar and chatting everyone up about it, and go full-force finding s.one to gig with.  Like you, I've played/jammed in a few bands of diff. styles and it's really helped me adapt to jamming in Korea.

I'm in Pohang and soon enough will get back into the music scene over here.  I'm not too sure of where Sangju is, but we're in the same province.  Def. go out to Daegu and hit up downtown because there are a few bars hosting live music.  Also, don't be shy about asking Koreans to jam!  Most, if not all, Koreans know how to read music, so that will be in your favor. 
You get what you give :)

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 10:28:38 am »
Hey guys - thanks for the replies. I'll definitely start looking into those places. Might even be off to Daegu at the weekend (maybe only an hour or so from me) so gonna try and track down some live music!
And when I get to Seoul I'll definitely head to that area - sounds amazing.
Just need to buy a bass on first pay day, (didn't have space to bring one with me) and I'm all set.

If anyone else has any advice get in touch and maybe I'll catch up with people in a random music venue sometime!
Oh, also, do you know a good music shop/place to buy a bass?
Cheers!

• HadongEup
  • Adventurer

• February 15, 2011, 09:54:00 am
    • Hadong
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 10:55:26 am »
If you're in Seoul, there's an AWESOME place in Insadong full of different music shops. It;s littereally in a building that goes over a main road... You'll definitely find something there. Not sure how easy it is to find the place, but get yourself to Insadong, ask for "Nagwon Sang-ga" near Seoul Art Cinema - It's at the south end of Insadong-gil. be prepared to spend a couple hours there. It's amazing!!  :o

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 01:48:36 pm »
IF you're going to Daegu, check out Daegu Live or something like that