Read 21698 times

My Trip to the Tea Room (다방)
« on: May 14, 2013, 03:05:31 pm »
So yesterday evening I was kicking around my town looking for something to do, and decided to check out a traditional Korean tea room. I went to the one next to the Family Mart on my street.

A friendly middle aged lady greeted me and showed me the menu. I was surprised by the prices. 6,000won for a cup of green tea? Anyway I ordered and waited for my drink to come.

When the tea arrived I was disappointed. It didn't seem like particularly special tea. But then the lady working there started getting really friendly, and I realized why the tea is so expensive.

It turns out the tea room (다방)  is actually a place to go to have some fun with middle aged women. The windows are all covered by the sign so you can't see inside. There was an old guy in there who gave me a knowing smile as the lady was sitting with me.

I talked to my CT this morning and he said 다방 (다 = Hanja for 차/tea; 방 = Hanja for 실/room) is where Korean guys all used to go as an alternative to the noraebang and as a place to get some action. He said if you pay some more money you can go upstairs or into a private room with the lady.

Anyway it's a bit of a throwback as mostly old guys seem to go there, but if older women are your thing then you could do worse than visit your local 다방. The good thing is you are supporting local people and also having a cultural experience.

It looks like I'm gonna be drinking tea again tonight  :police:

Re: My Trip to the Tea Room (다방)
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 03:09:51 pm »

Wait....does this mean you'll be layin' some pipe at the tea room tonight?
Is this where the signature goes?

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 03:12:15 pm »

Wait....does this mean you'll be layin' some pipe at the tea room tonight?

I'm going straight there after work. I'll post an update  :police:

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 03:16:17 pm »
You never get that sort of service from a Costa coffee....maybe at wild bean cafe at a service station on the M4.

Ha ha ha. I have heard of these places but only in hushed whispers. Mainly when you go to the norabang's. I recently when to Geoje Island and went to a norabang with some mates and straight away we got offered some 'helper girls'. Even with my limited Korean I could understand what would happen next.

I did feel a bit of shame when I used the 'helper girl' arse to play the tambourine but soju helps with that.  :evil:

• dachiza727
  • Super Waygook

• June 24, 2010, 09:52:23 pm
    • South Korea
    more
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 03:23:31 pm »
there's no sex in the champagne room, but the tea room - well that's a different story
"Iíll have a vanilla...one of those vanilla bullshit things. You know, whatever you want, some vanilla bullshit latte cappa thing. Whatever you got."

true dat.

• wrinklebump
  • Expert Waygook

• March 20, 2012, 01:31:12 pm
    • Ulsan, Korea via Detroit, Michigan
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 06:03:26 pm »
Back in the day they weren't strictly for laying pipe, as one user so eloquently put it, as men would go there just to talk and while away some time with pretty women they weren't married to. Similar to the modern chains such as Red Model Bar where bored housewives with too much money go to talk to hot young studs.

But now they're basically just brothels.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 06:59:45 pm by wrinklebump »
Livin in a pathetic epidemic with schizophrenics buyin synthetic bodies on credit

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 06:28:43 pm »
Dabangs aren't traditional teahouses. They've always been coffeehouses. Like wrinklebump said, they used to just be where Koreans would go to have coffee since it wasn't available at home in those days; this was before Maxim lowered every Korean's standards of what constitutes "coffee". Typically it was just men going there for business meetings, as women were still largely stay-at-home moms or just secretaries. So it was a natural evolution to start bringing in loose women because a) bankrolling sexual favors is/was common business etiquette and b) they were men.

I've been told now that dabangs are mostly for older Koreans who just want to be out of the house, away from their extended family, and play a board game or something. But as is often the case, brothel-type establishments operate on the surface as dabangs, including those that dispatch coffee girls. So you never know what you're walking into, as they've never on street level with big windows to peer through. Same goes for 이용소 places. Sometimes you might get a haircut, but more often they couldn't find even a pair of scissors anywhere in the building. They'll just comb your hair and move on to the, um, added value.

• Aqvm
  • Expert Waygook

• March 09, 2012, 06:55:24 am
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 08:43:15 pm »
How about 'Business Rooms'? Those always seem shady as hell from the outside and I can't imagine what kind of 'business' takes place there. I've always wondered what the idea behind that was.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 08:45:55 pm by Aqvm »

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 09:00:26 pm »
You can pretty much assume anything that, as I said, isn't at street level or doesn't have large windows you can see through.

-dabangs
-이용소
-barber shops with striped poles (not just double poles)
-business rooms
-many/most places offering 마사지 or 안마

A Korean friend told me that screen golf places (not all, but more than a few) are a common place to meet sex workers because such places are so male-oriented to begin with. Customers can pre-arrange a meetup, go to the screen golf place, park and down the street with their new friends.

And a number of yeogwans (cheaper hotels, not quite love motels) in outlying neighborhoods and small towns will offer solo traveling guys if they want company, or you'll just find several ads posted to the mirror in your room. My favorite was a tissue box printed with about 16 different coffee girl services. (This was in Jinju, in case you want to make travel plans.) :wink:

It's really freaky once you start noticing all these places. They are absolutely everywhere, but they don't attract attention. There's a frequently cited statistic that 4% of Korea's economy is from the sex trade, and it's easy to see how. You can spy these places in every neighborhood -- across from kindergartens, down the stairs from fast food places, around the corner from towering Lotte apartment complexes...

Of course I should mention that I have never frequented any of these places, but I have gone into a few (sometimes accidentally, sometimes just because I wanted to know what exactly a place was). They seem like the most depressing places on Earth, and the people there are totally busted down most of the time, so there's no illicit thrill or romanticized idea of bawdy fun. Just sleaze and Korean salary men stumbling out to go home to their families.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 09:10:08 pm by oatmealkooky »

• newb
  • Newgookin

• November 20, 2012, 10:38:27 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 10:14:39 pm »
This thread is very interesting 'cause I never been to da-bang.  Keep it coming. :cheesy:
HEY CAN YOU FILL THE OIL AND CHECK THE GAS PLEASE!!!!

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2013, 11:23:20 am »
Dabangs are awesome. Well, not the actual places themselves, but the employees  :wink:

Whenever I find myself hungover in a random motel room after a night out in a different city, I'll pick up the phone, order a dabang coffee and wait. 10-15 minutes later a charming young lady will come with a couple of coffees and a condom. What's not to love?  :azn:

• CDW
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 15, 2011, 01:22:09 pm
    • Banned
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2013, 03:02:34 pm »
I see coffee delivery girls driving around on their motorbikes in the town where I live. Is that a service open to foreigners? They leave their ads with a phone number on my door.

• newb
  • Newgookin

• South Korea
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2013, 04:35:56 pm »
Can I order for someone else?  Let's say for a few k-teachers.  What's the cost for each delivery?

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2013, 01:19:44 pm »
Can I order for someone else?  Let's say for a few k-teachers.  What's the cost for each delivery?

I guess you could  ;D

It depends what you want but the standard order is 10,000won. That's just for the coffee and company. It's literally just crappy instant coffee out of a packet though.

You negotiate the rest once she arrives.

• newb
  • Newgookin

• South Korea
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2013, 05:34:33 pm »
I once went into a Kiss Bang. Thought I would be getting some Hershey's Kisses......oh my I was surprised.

What was the surprise and charge?

• SamIAint
  • Adventurer

• February 08, 2013, 07:40:13 pm
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2013, 09:17:48 am »
UPdate OP?

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2013, 07:44:01 pm »
I once went into a Kiss Bang. Thought I would be getting some Hershey's Kisses......oh my I was surprised.

I'm curious, enlighten us!

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2013, 11:21:13 pm »

Where exactly is this Da bang?

• dachiza727
  • Super Waygook

• June 24, 2010, 09:52:23 pm
    • South Korea
    more
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2013, 12:41:00 pm »

Where exactly is this Da bang?

epik 1st post dude!
"Iíll have a vanilla...one of those vanilla bullshit things. You know, whatever you want, some vanilla bullshit latte cappa thing. Whatever you got."

true dat.

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2013, 10:48:43 pm »
UPdate OP?

Perhaps, the OP got too strained in the tea room. Or he shouldn't have asked to get that second tea bag.