Read 7657 times

• elspeth
  • Veteran

• October 06, 2010, 07:41:18 am
    • Daejeon, South Korea
Re: Coffee Crisis
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2011, 10:17:09 am »
I know this is off topic (and I am sorry), but I am curious...what constitutes a ghetto in Seoul? I am asking seriously because while I love my area, I get the impression it is a poorer area, possibly a ghetto.
I mean in the states a ghetto looks like a ghetto, but here in Seoul I have yet to see an area that looks really dingy.

My Lotte Mart has ground and whole bean Fair Trade coffee (I live in the ghetto). Maybe look closer? It should be there.
I don't live in Seoul. I "live in" Daejeon. And my area is a straight up ghetto.

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2011, 10:24:52 am »
A friend of mine in Seoul sells coffee on his website: www.aliensdrinkcoff ee.com and I'm sure can meet up with you or ship it to you. I bought some Colombian (ground) and it's delicious. I use a french press...am considering bringing it to work too...Good luck!

• bmsteacher
  • Veteran

• May 25, 2010, 07:16:33 am
    • Kyeonggi-do, ROK
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2011, 10:39:58 am »
Cafe Amico, just outside of Pyeongchon Stn. exit 1, has the best ground coffee I've ever tasted in Korea.  They sell Costa Rica, Kenya, and Colombia roasts, just to name a few.  It's a fantastic cafe; check it out.

• Janitor
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• June 14, 2010, 02:01:32 pm
    • Ulsan
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2011, 11:01:08 am »
A friend of mine in Seoul sells coffee on his website: www.aliensdrinkcoff ee.com and I'm sure can meet up with you or ship it to you. I bought some Colombian (ground) and it's delicious. I use a french press...am considering bringing it to work too...Good luck!

Awesome!!!! I will totally check this out!

• Paul
  • Featured Contributor

• September 21, 2010, 10:28:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2011, 11:52:30 am »
Expensive mskris? Depends where you are I think. The big chain in Daejeon, Vero, I've noticed has variable pricing. Like elspeth, my corner is a bit ghetto, but I can walk to a nearby uni for a selection of coffeeshops. My fav. local place does one of the best espresso macchiatos in Daejeon for a buck-twenty.
More primary school colours and shapes activity ideas and resources than you'd ever need - here
Holy free educational fonts Batman!

• lizard
  • Adventurer

• February 28, 2011, 11:04:23 am
    • Korea
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2011, 12:25:07 pm »
Thank you guys! I don't think we have a Costco in Gunsan, but I am willing to travel to one. I will check out the local coffee shops and the aisle at Lotte Mart a bit more closely.

• misskris
  • Expert Waygook

• October 08, 2010, 02:46:41 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2011, 12:30:15 pm »
I meant that if you want to buy ground beans from a cofffee shop, they are much more expensive than if you buy in costco or on websites that sell ground coffee :)

• Wretchard
  • Super Waygook

• September 06, 2010, 09:26:36 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2011, 12:37:27 pm »
I have some serious stockholm syndrome going on with Maxim instant coffee. At first I was HORRIFIED and all like "NEVER" (I brougth a french press and grinder from home) and now I wake up and im like "MMMM ill have a maxim!" because its all my school has and theres no where for me to dump out my dirty grounds, store creamos etc.

Yeah I'm in the same boat. I was at a friend's house and he asked me if I wanted coffee. Said 'sure.' Then I heard the machine percolating. I was like "Man, I don't want that hipster brew... Got any Maxim?"

Am i the only person that hates Starbucks coffee? I avoid it at all costs.

I hate any coffee that isn't in a plastic tube.

And I got a beef with Starbucks on principal. Don't like how the Starbucks owner dealt with his selling of the Seattle Super Sonics. I'm Canadian and never lived in Seattle, but love the NBA and what he did was sleazy.

I bet Starbucks says they use beans that aren't screwing over any countries, etc (forget the term and not gonna look on Google.) but I don't believe it, because the owner is a straight up scumbucket liar.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 11:38:27 am by Wretchard »

• misskris
  • Expert Waygook

• October 08, 2010, 02:46:41 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2011, 12:39:46 pm »
I bet Starbucks says they use beans that aren't screwing over any countries, etc (forget the term and not gonna look on Google.) but I don't believe it, because the owner is a straight up scumbucket liar.

hahah love it.

• Gillod
  • Veteran

• December 01, 2009, 07:29:17 pm
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2011, 12:41:03 pm »
For some reason whole bean coffee is outrageously expensive in Korea. Even places that roast their own will charge up $30/lb for a Sumatran Mandhleing that's worth maybe 10 or 11.

Your best bet is CostCo. You can get a 3lb bag for 20 bucks and it's not bad.

• Ley_Druid
  • The Legend

• February 17, 2011, 08:36:33 am
    • Shinan-Gun, Jeollanam-Do, South Korea
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2011, 12:41:41 pm »
How could someone not like Seattle? Whats not to like? Rain? Bah humbug!

• drchet
  • Waygookin

• February 07, 2011, 12:07:46 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2011, 02:08:39 pm »
If you do any travelling through SE Asia, be sure to stock up on some beans before you come back! Huge price difference when bought from local markets, and beats the hell out of Starbucks. I smelled like a walking Yoger Presso when going through customs after visiting the Philippines...

• Wretchard
  • Super Waygook

• September 06, 2010, 09:26:36 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2012, 11:45:39 am »
I gave in a got a real coffee machine. Usually just buy a tub of Folgers from Emart but they haven't had any in stock for a while... so I bought a grinder and some beans but I can't really say the Emart coffee is doing it for me. It's 'nice' coffee, but I can't get it black and sludgy enough.

I bought a bag of the Emart Kenyan and it says on the package "the most masculine coffee in the world" haha. Well, tastes just like the other stuff to me.

Any suggestions for a strong roast?

• Janitor
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• June 14, 2010, 02:01:32 pm
    • Ulsan
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2012, 12:33:07 pm »
The main thing to think about with coffee and flavour is that oxygen degrades the flavour of the coffee making it bitter and gross. So that means that if are buying a ton of pre-ground low-grade coffee at cheap price and it will sit in a tub for the next month, it will taste pretty nasty by the time you finish.

I buy pretty decent coffee at around 6,000 won per 100 g. I usually get about 200 grams and that lasts me around a week or longer. I like my coffee strong and I don't mean the common misconception that darker roasts means stronger coffee. What I mean is that for the average 200ml cup I use about 15-18 grams of beans.

I don't see the need to buy the coffee in such large quantities. By stopping in at my local roaster every week or so, I have built up a great relationship with them and have got  a ton of free coffee from them as well.  It is just because they know that I am a repeat customer and this is how a lot of smaller businesses in Korea roll.

I have tried contacting these guys to buy some coffee. I was quite excited and then I never heard back from them. Are they still around or just gave up on the email option?