Read 1656 times

• blacklight
  • Waygookin

• October 07, 2012, 03:31:44 pm
    • Cheongju, Chungbuk, South Korea
Which is better?
« on: May 03, 2013, 04:25:11 pm »
Leaving when you are on the fence and one has a good life here or sticking out another year and then if one can't stand it, giving a notice and leaving?

Is this even a legitimate way of thinking about leaving or staying for another year?

By the way, this is my first year. Been here 7 months.

Your thoughts?

I apologize if this is in the wrong forum. Have a nice day/weekend!

• wrinklebump
  • Expert Waygook

• March 20, 2012, 01:31:12 pm
    • Ulsan, Korea via Detroit, Michigan
Re: Which is better?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 04:52:31 pm »
Queue Bon Jovi
Livin in a pathetic epidemic with schizophrenics buyin synthetic bodies on credit

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 06:12:24 pm »
Your first sentence is confusing. Can you phrase it a different way?

• kschultz
  • Adventurer

• September 07, 2012, 01:15:57 pm
    • Osan
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 07:22:16 pm »

I think she means that she's on the fence about staying another year, in that, it's a pretty easy life, but sometimes it can start sucking for whatever reasons and then maybe regretting signing for a second year?

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 07:32:40 pm »
Ah... It takes a running start to get through it. ;D

You may as well stay and keep exploring what could possibly be a great opportunity.

• taeyang
  • Moderator - LVL 4

• September 08, 2010, 08:35:10 am
    • daejeon
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 08:06:37 pm »
do what's best for you.
use google to search the site

site:waygook.org XXXX

replace 'XXXX' with your search term

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 10:37:24 pm »

It is, but I think it's that old standard:

My job basically sucks [I work at a hagwon and little more need be said; or I work at PS and it's dull, meaningless routine filled with idiotic tasks and daily headaches]

BUT

I like all this nice money that I get and what I can do with it [saving, traveling, drinking oneself stupid], I like the 'ease of life' here where I have a 'free' apartment and there's easy transport, etc, I like the prospect of banging Koreans of whatever gender---sorry, 'interacting with the local culture...'

So I don't know how much of my life to waste here screwing around with ESL in Korea. What should I do? Oh, I have an idea! What if I renew in 5 months, do my best to put up with the BS and get more money for a while, then walk after deciding that Korea is just too much suck for me!

You could do this, OP. Ultimately it depends on how much you hate it here and why. Is it the job or is it Korea? Sounds like the job to me. You've got to know what is the key basis for you being here. Socializing, money, sex, traveling, 'culture', lack of career or direction back home. Pick one and then you have some idea what to do.

Only warning is, an easy life/job is a trap. Be careful. I have the easiest job you could get in Korea but it doesn't do me any favors most of the time. It messes you up to some extent, unless you fight it.

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 07:14:46 am »
You can't really go wrong with sticking around another year unless you feel that your career needs attention or that you need to get started on the rest of your life.

Even if your second year isn't all that great, it's still easy money from a job you're already trained in. Plus, with your vacation time you could always just use this second year to travel to new places. Even if you later find out that you really hate teaching, there are still benefits to sticking around for just one more year. In the grand scheme of things, 12 months is not a very long time out of your entire lifetime.

I'm currently in my second year and while I'm not as excited and thrilled about teaching and Korea as I was last year, I still do not regret renewing. Staying a second year has allowed me to save enough money to pay off the rest of my student loan. Plus, with this vacation time I have visited two more countries. If I had only stayed one year I would have visited two countries less and I would still be paying my loan using income from a job that is likely to be a lower salary (given my lack of qualifications, I am pretty unemployable at home).

If you absolutely hate it, no one is putting a gun to your head and asking you to stay. You still have the freedom to leave as you please (although I recommend you to leave after the 6-month mark as for a lot of contracts, the flight allowance and housing allowance are considered a loan up until then).

• blacklight
  • Waygookin

• October 07, 2012, 03:31:44 pm
    • Cheongju, Chungbuk, South Korea
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 11:18:41 am »
Thanks so much for all the help and for replying. I really appreciate it.

Have a nice day!