Read 1184 times

• beison
  • Explorer

• September 01, 2010, 03:18:22 pm
    • korea
Advice on choosing between Korean MBA programs
« on: May 07, 2013, 11:06:08 am »
Hello everyone, I've got a specific question I don't believe has ever been asked, and hoping to get some good insight on!

I have made up my mind to go to get an MBA in Korea. I know many on this board don't view this as the best choice for graduate work, however that's what I'm going to do.

I have applied to 4 schools for their "Global MBA programs" and expect to be accepted into all of them: Seoul National University, Yonsei University, Korea University, and Sungkyungkwon university. I believe they are all pretty good, however I don't have a lot of experience comparing them to each other. Since the MBA's value is really quite dependant on the individual's goals, I personally would like to work in the Korean business environment in small-midsized firms, and then move to entrepreneurship in the international business space.

Lets say we have a perfect world where they all cost the same, which do you all think would be the best choice?

-SKK is highest in the Financial Times rankings at 51st

-Yonsei use to be in the Financial Times, however recently has dropped off and now is in the Economist's rankings--also prestigious

-Korea University just recently got onto the Financial Times rankings at 86th

-Seoul National University is on nobody's rankings, however it's the best Korean university at the undergraduate level so I wonder if this translates to their business school at all?

Thanks again for any advice you can offer!

• kwakman00
  • Waygookin

• June 17, 2010, 03:49:12 pm
    • Seoul, South Korea
Re: Advice on choosing between Korean MBA programs
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 12:02:59 pm »
I'm currently in the process of finding which schools to apply to for the fall '14 semester. so this is all objective but instead of looking purely at rankings, you should try to see what specific programs/course work each school offers and go from there. Also, try to find out which companies like to recruit from which school and make sure that the recruiting companies align with your career goal. I have some friends who have been/are going through their MBA programs and this is the advice that I am getting from them.

Just wondering...have you considered getting an MBA from schools outside of Korea? It might be more beneficial to get an MBA from a well-known American university as I heard that a lot of companies/firms in Korea are looking into hiring foreign workers to bring in diversity. Plus, if you're long term career goal is to move into the international business space, it might benefit you more to have a deeper alumni network from a well-known school.

• beison
  • Explorer

• September 01, 2010, 03:18:22 pm
    • korea
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 12:30:35 pm »

Just wondering...have you considered getting an MBA from schools outside of Korea? It might be more beneficial to get an MBA from a well-known American university as I heard that a lot of companies/firms in Korea are looking into hiring foreign workers to bring in diversity. Plus, if you're long term career goal is to move into the international business space, it might benefit you more to have a deeper alumni network from a well-known school.

yeah it's definitely a combinations of reasons I want to do the mba in Korea. I'm actually coming back over from working for a while in the states. Namely Korean language ability, interest in specifically Asian business, and an ease of entry into the markets due to the new FTA agreement played a part. Also it's hard to make true global connections at a program stateside.  I also figure that I'm already diverse enough given some extensive American corporate experience, as well as a degree from a pretty well known US engineering school in science. 
Perhaps an American MBA would lend more to getting hired by a Korean firm, but I feel it will be more beneficial to be the minority in an MBA program since I'm pretty familiar with how western business works, and not very familiar with how the rest of the world does it.
Do any of your friends in their current programs have any experience with the SNU or Yonsei programs?

• kwakman00
  • Waygookin

• June 17, 2010, 03:49:12 pm
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 01:22:19 pm »
Sounds good. There are a few good programs stateside that have a high percentage of international students that might also be of help with the whole networking aspect...which is what I plan on doing. Unfortunately, none of my friends have any information about those two schools. I know some programs offer exchange courses with schools from HK, Singapore, etc., but none for Korea that I know of.