Read 5884 times

• K
  • Super Waygook

• November 03, 2010, 05:38:27 pm
    • SK
Sitcoms for Adults
« on: May 06, 2013, 12:38:32 pm »
I teach a two hour adults class with mixed levels and ages. Recently, they told me they would really like to study with a sitcom. I'm now wondering what sitcom works well in the ESL classroom. Some of my students are in their mid-60's and I'm hesitant to use a show that mentions sex or has blatant sexual references. That being said, my Korean boyfriend reassured me it would be fine to use it since they are adults. He said they would find it funny. I realize that it's possible to choose which clips I use and will likely be doing that anyway.

What's your opinion on this? Have you had any experience using a show like How I Met Your Mother or Big Bang Theory? Can you recommend any particular show?

Personally, I was thinking Seinfeld would be a good choice.

• Wintermute
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 06, 2011, 01:07:27 pm
    • MURRICA!!!
    more
Re: Sitcoms for Adults
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 12:44:00 pm »
I've used Modern Family. Went over great. It has a 60+ yr old man married to a young woman, so your students will really be able to relate.

• K
  • Super Waygook

• November 03, 2010, 05:38:27 pm
    • SK
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 01:18:19 pm »
Thanks for you answer! I already found a great worksheet regarding the pilot that ties in with our current lesson. Personally, I haven't watched Modern Family. Was there any issue with one of the marriages being between two men?

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 01:48:50 pm »
I have used Modern Family for some of my classes in High School.  When I show the family tree that explains the set up the students seem to be fine with it.  Also the show is shown in the afternoon on TV here on one of the basic channels. 

• owlievers
  • Newgookin

• October 19, 2014, 05:24:56 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 02:47:13 pm »
I used New Girl with my adult students who are about 40-50 range and I thought it went over decently. Some of the material would be inappropriate for my high schoolers I believe. I went over slang with them and talked about living with people of the opposite sex and their opinions on it. Attached are the worksheet and powerpoint i used!

• orangeman
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 01, 2011, 09:56:35 am
    • Seoul-East Side
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 08:43:12 am »
I wouldn't use Seinfeld, too many cultural and inside jokes. 

My old CT basically learned English by watching sitcoms.  She loved Friends and Modern Family. 

Also, if you want to do one off lessons, I have used reality shows like House Hunters, Project Runway and the Amazing Race.  I didn't use these for the language used in the clips, but rather to start conversations.

Most Koreans will be utterly amazed at the size and price of houses in the USA, and they can debate what they want in their house, which house they would take, etc.  Good for "I would like".  Project Runway really works for younger female adults.  There's even PR Korea.  Great for practicing description words.  I used the Amazing Race to have them talk about their strengths and weaknesses, who their partner would be and why, travel, extreme activities, etc. 

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 09:11:55 am »
I would say go with Modern Family as well. There will be many opportunities to discuss different aspects of the show. The show is also hilarious, so you will enjoy it as much as they will. I'm sure some people don't like Modern Family, but I have yet to meet them. I kind of feel like it is the modern day Friends. Almost everyone can watch it, but sometimes it is a little much for young viewers, like Friends.

• NicL
  • Waygookin

• December 19, 2012, 06:24:04 pm
    • Gimhae
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2015, 08:31:53 am »
I used New Girl with my adult students who are about 40-50 range and I thought it went over decently. Some of the material would be inappropriate for my high schoolers I believe. I went over slang with them and talked about living with people of the opposite sex and their opinions on it. Attached are the worksheet and powerpoint i used!

hey. how did you get the korean subtitles for the program??? I want to do the same.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 09:33:05 am by travelinpantsgirl »

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2016, 05:44:10 pm »
I agree with a few other comments; Modern Family is the one to go for. It's easy going, modern and a lot of Koreans already know about it.
EFL teacher in Seoul and co-owner of www.weteachkorea.com

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2016, 08:58:41 am »
I did a few lessons with 'Friends' that went down well but the language was a little dated and I forgot how much they allude to sex. I haven't tried it with 'Modern Family' but I'm going to try this next.

• vinalves
  • Explorer

• November 08, 2017, 04:47:07 am
    • Brazil
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2017, 08:06:05 am »
Here’s a good site with resources for “breaking the ice” during long adult lessons.
They are ESL activities based on small scenes from NetFlix movies and series.

https://netflixesl.blogspot.com.br/

The idea is to watch the small movie segments by the specified timings and work the activities with the students.

Cheers.

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2017, 06:53:56 am »
Using modern family is a great idea. Thanks!

• Janitor
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• June 14, 2010, 02:01:32 pm
    • Ulsan
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2018, 04:11:53 pm »
Thanks for you answer! I already found a great worksheet regarding the pilot that ties in with our current lesson. Personally, I haven't watched Modern Family. Was there any issue with one of the marriages being between two men?

Where did you find the work sheet? Could you please post it here? I have an adult student that wants to learning from tv shows.

• JimJimmy
  • Newgookin

• January 10, 2019, 03:36:38 pm
    • Tampa, Florida
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2019, 11:28:19 pm »
Yup, Modern Family for me as well. :)

• temari_uta
  • Waygookin

• August 08, 2012, 12:22:44 pm
    • Boryeong, S. Korea
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2019, 03:00:17 am »
I attended an ITBE conference some years ago and an instructor based his entire adult ESL class off the Modern Family; I think it is a good sitcom to show as it does portray a slice of America. Additionally, some of the students; high school & older may go find the shows themselves and watch with subtitles. I noticed a few of my relatives did this and picked up a little more English through this manner.

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2019, 08:59:36 am »

Where do you find these work sheets?