Read 1982 times

• zenbone
  • Adventurer

• January 04, 2011, 01:39:02 am
    • Clearwater, FL
Anyone Re-arrange class?
« on: March 08, 2011, 09:48:32 am »
I am thinking of making permanent 4 person groups by drawing pieces of pictures to randomly create groups that they must stay in for an undetermined amount of time. thought this might help break up some cliques. any thoughts for or against before i tread into the unknown waters?

Re: Anyone Re-arrange class?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 09:54:27 am »
Give it a go!!  You can always see how it goes for 5 classes, then change it around. 
Maybe try to make sure you have 2 boys and 2 girls in each group (by splitting the pictures into 2 pairs before totally jumbling them).
One possible prob is that you might end up with a high level group that wins all games/answers all the questions.  If you kept mixing the groups every 2/4 weeks that might help. 
Last year I did a test with the students in the 1st class, then made groups so that each group had a bright kid, lower kid and 2 mediums.  That way when we did games everyone had a chance....

Good luck!

• Darkeru
  • Expert Waygook

• September 08, 2010, 01:03:17 pm
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 10:00:33 am »
Sounds like it's a good idea overall. Be warned though, they will likely complain. I did this in winter camp and it took ages for them to stop complaining and do it. The number one complaint of the students each new semester seems to be that they're sitting with new people.
[In Korea once more - Working in Pyeongtaek]

• charlsie
  • Adventurer

• October 01, 2010, 08:25:00 am
    • Pyeongtaek
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 10:01:35 am »
Yes I rearranged my desks in my class for this year.  I teach at a very small school so I have the flexibility of having more space in class because there are less desks.  Last year I had the u-shape formation but it was a hassle to rearrange into groups when we had games.
This year I changed them to groups (4 desks each).  My co-teacher and I planned the seating chart so that boys never sit next to each other.  Also the naughty kids get seated closer to the front so hopefully they'll be more focused and we can keep a better eye on them.  If possible we also tried to split them into groups where their English levels are somewhat balanced (spread the smarty pants into different groups so they can help their group members) and so when playing games, each team has a chance of winning.

• mikey85
  • Adventurer

• December 02, 2010, 03:07:48 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 10:08:47 am »
When i was readying my students for their speaking test, i changed their seating around! I gave them a practice test after teaching a few lessons! I gave each student a score based on their speaking level (how much they had memorised, and how clearly they spoke) out of 10. I then put a high level student next to a low level student! so the pairs were high-low student sitting together! when it came to doing worksheets or dialogues, the students had to work together, the high student was pretty much teaching the low student how to do the worksheet! After a few weeks, i did another practice test! some of the low students upgraded their level (because they had studied harder or they just wanted the chance to move seats) So some of the low students were bumped up! I moved the seats around again! so that new high level students were teaching the low level students again! and it freshened things up, giving them a new partner!

The one problem i found is with the middle level students, with not enough high level students in my school to pair with the lowever students, the mid level students were sometimes paired together! sometimes they would struggle, but i could focus my attention on these pairings, as i had  my high level students helping me out with the low level.

As for groups, mixed is always good! sometimes speaking to the co-teacher before can help! they can make groups for you in the homeroom class, they know their students well, and they know their levels, they will give a good mix of students and give you the seating plan! I had to do this with one naughty class, after they changed seats and were put into groups of mixed, boy-girl, high-low, they soon settled down! only let them sit 'free' as a reward!

• Yu_Bumsuk
  • The Legend

• March 03, 2011, 02:10:36 pm
    • Hicksville, ROK
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 10:34:28 am »
Mine are arranged into groups with the six top students each in one group, then the next six, down to the lowest. This way every group has at least one who can follow and no group has the excuse that they can't understand an activity.

• zenbone
  • Adventurer

• January 04, 2011, 01:39:02 am
    • Clearwater, FL
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 10:44:57 am »
sounds great, i think i will make an assessment test for each grade (i teach grade 1 and grade 3 middle - about 3-40 per class) for next week and go with the 1 upper, 2 middle and 1 low level per group.

• Yu_Bumsuk
  • The Legend

• March 03, 2011, 02:10:36 pm
    • Hicksville, ROK
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 10:46:47 am »
sounds great, i think i will make an assessment test for each grade (i teach grade 1 and grade 3 middle - about 3-40 per class) for next week and go with the 1 upper, 2 middle and 1 low level per group.

You could do this or use the (non-communicative) assessment test your grade 1s already got and your grade 3s' listening test scores from last year.