Read 3021 times

Anyone having problems with their principal?
« on: May 03, 2013, 10:24:59 am »
My Principal is giving me so much stress these days... I am trying my best to make interesting classes for my students and so far, I see good feedback from my co-workers and students, but my principal is still not happy with what I'm doing. He wants me to add more after school classes and activity with my middle school students!

Who has principals like mine that is always watching the class and expects a lot from the native teachers! 

Anyone with similar situations and ideas about activities with middle school students?
Thanks

Re: Anyone having problems with their principal?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 10:53:14 am »
Will he pay you for the after school classes?  If not, don't agree to do them and don't worry about it.

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 10:55:24 am »
I just renewed my contract with this school so he considers my raise "the extra pay"

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 11:02:54 am »
I just renewed my contract with this school so he considers my raise "the extra pay"

Bull!  It isn't and the wording of the contract doesn't say that.  Don't do it and plan to get another job next year.  Once doing so, then live this year stress free....
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 12:11:16 pm by weigookin74 »

• TeachaTeacha
  • Expert Waygook

• September 06, 2012, 03:27:09 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 11:10:42 am »
Well, my principal expects a lot of me, but I am compensated appropriately. That raise does not have any affect on your teaching hours. If you are teaching more than 22 hours (or 22, 40/45 minute classes), then you are entitled to overtime pay. I would address the issue politely and make him aware that you understand your contract - if he is resisting I would suggest contacting your coordinator.

• lee233
  • Super Waygook

• August 31, 2012, 09:53:46 am
    • Korea
    more
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 11:15:12 am »
Definitely read over your contact and find what level pay you get (If you are EPIK it should be the first thing on the contract) then check your work hours section ( If you are EPIK it shoudl be Article 8) and show it to your principal. Overtime is not included in our base pay, and if they refuse to pay you contact your coordinator.
Just be careful, if you are working under your 22 contract hours they can make you work after 4:30, but they will still owe you overtime for the extra hours over the 40 you are spending at school. A friend of mine had this happen. The school wanted him to teach classes until 5pm, and when he brought up the overtime issue they ended up changing his hours from 8:30 to 4:30 to 9 to 5. I hope this was helpful.
If wishes were horses beggars would ride

• grezbob
  • Veteran

• August 28, 2012, 02:26:17 pm
    • Daegu
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 11:47:52 am »

As far as I'm aware the school gets the funding for NETs pay from outside if you are with EPIK so just because you get bumped up a pay grade doesn't effect the school's budget one bit.  Therefore, it's not reasonable for the principal of an individual school to start saying you must do more because he's paying you more- he/the school isn't (and even if this was the case then the contract is still very clear about it- no additional hours). If you have officially re-signed I would make a point of holding your ground, forcefully but politely, and sticking to the contract (it would be another issue if you hadn't actually re-signed but wanted to stay and thus needed to look like a 'diligent worker' to the principal in the typical Korean way).

• fishead
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 23, 2010, 07:58:05 am
    • Yangju Korea
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 02:07:11 pm »
SNIP Smile Nod Ignore Proceed as usual
Next time you have a school party grab a bottle of soju hold it with two hands and pour a glass for him. When you drink with him look away when you take the shot

If you've agreed to afterschool classes with no overtime then it will be impossible to back out now just finish the session and don't agree to do them again.

• Ley_Druid
  • The Legend

• February 17, 2011, 08:36:33 am
    • Shinan-Gun, Jeollanam-Do, South Korea
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 02:21:17 pm »

Contact your coordinator. If you are in GEPIK, you might be SOL because employers can change the terms of the contract whenever they like, which means you do whatever the principal says. If you are in a good area of GEPIK, you might be able to get help. If you are in EPIK, JLP, or Gimhae, contact your peoples. If you are in another area, I don't know what to say, other than good luck and fight the hell out of that, if it is either out of your working hours or beyond your 22 (25 for Gimhae) teaching hours per week.