• Bryan Teacher
  • Adventurer

• June 27, 2012, 12:46:11 pm
    • Anyang
    more
My school is offering 8 month renewal - dilemma
« on: May 02, 2013, 03:26:23 pm »
I have a dilemma!

I really love my school and I want to renew, but the school is offering me an 8 month, private (i.e. non-GEPIK-organized) contract to bring me into line with the city budget, which funds the position. (I replaced a teacher who quit early - they want my new contract to run until the end of February.)

There will be a meeting tomorrow, but this is what I heard so far:

-The school can't roll over my severance from this year, so I can't get severance for the 8 month contract. I think this is wrong and that they can choose to roll over my severance and let it keep accruing, although my current contract doesn't mention this.

-Vacation days must be relative to the length of the contract, so even though all vacation periods fall within the 8 months, I would get something like 13 days' vacation (not including renewal vacation, but still - that would bring me up to only 23 days, almost cancelling out the bonus).

And another issue:

-Since native teacher experience seems to be counted in units of '12 month contracts completed', I'm worried that at the end of the 8 month contract I'd have to go onto another contract at the same level for 12 months. I.e., I'd go up to Category 2 for the 8 month contract, and then be stuck on Category 2 for another 12 months. Is this right?

Any advice anybody can offer about how short-term renewals work in public schools, what I should and shouldn't expect and how I should negotiate would be really greatly appreciated. :)
Nobody owns English.

• tesoljon
  • Expert Waygook

• March 13, 2012, 12:16:12 pm
    • Ansan-si
Re: My school is offering 8 month renewal - dilemma
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 03:48:45 pm »
-The school can't roll over my severance from this year, so I can't get severance for the 8 month contract. I think this is wrong and that they can choose to roll over my severance and let it keep accruing, although my current contract doesn't mention this.

The problem with that is this:

but the school is offering me an 8 month, private (i.e. non-GEPIK-organized) contract to bring me into line with the city budget, which funds the position

They're changing sources of funding. If your contract was still within GEPIK, then yes, it should be able to roll over. However, since they're moving from provincial funding to city funding, it's very possible that rolling over your severance is not possible. If nothing else, you would probably be crossing financial years, and accountants don't like things hanging from one year to the next. There's no reason for GEPIK to hold your severance if you're no longer on a GEPIK contract.

• Bryan Teacher
  • Adventurer

• Anyang
    more
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 04:11:45 pm »
They're changing sources of funding. If your contract was still within GEPIK, then yes, it should be able to roll over. However, since they're moving from provincial funding to city funding, it's very possible that rolling over your severance is not possible. If nothing else, you would probably be crossing financial years, and accountants don't like things hanging from one year to the next. There's no reason for GEPIK to hold your severance if you're no longer on a GEPIK contract.

Hmmm. My position was always funded by the city, that's why it didn't get cut. My contract was organized through GEPIK, though. So what would happen is, the position would go off-GEPIK for 8 months, and then it would go back on-GEPIK. But the funding would always be from the city.
Nobody owns English.

• Bryan Teacher
  • Adventurer

• Anyang
    more
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 04:13:39 pm »
If you want a 12 month contract then just find a new job elsewhere. There is no shortage.

I'm not sure how that severance problem would work out in your situation. Maybe what they're saying is legit. In any case, that's a significant cut. Eight months is almost a year. For an extra four months, you'd get a whole extra month's pay. Plus, if you're thinking of sticking around later and this 8 month contract is going to cost you a pay raise.... it's a no-brainer. Explain your concerns and tell them that you'll have to turn down their offer.

I really like my job, and I think there is a shortage of quality jobs. And so many public school positions are being cut.

But I am planning to stay in Korea, so if it's true that the 8 month contract leaves me forever a pay grade lower...
Nobody owns English.