Read 2104 times

  • blodgett
  • Waygookin

    • 11

    • August 30, 2011, 07:53:51 pm
    • Jeju, SK
I've recently been looking for new employment opportunities and I noticed that many companies and government agencies aren't accepting the 100 hour online TEFL cert if it has no in-class training. I now have two years of 'in-class' experience but it is not reflected in my certifications. I am afraid this may cause some problems when I start applying for jobs. Is there a way to take an 'add-on' in-class training course without taking the entire 100 hours over again?

  • Here2day
  • Adventurer

    • 32

    • December 15, 2010, 10:34:28 am
    • Korea
I'm curious if this has actually caused anyone problems yet. I am in a similar situation but was wondering if companies would overlook the fact for more experience. Also is this region specific? Are they demanding this in Seoul?

I would double-check with the recruiting agencies to see their specific requirements.  I completed an 80 hour online + 20 hour classroom course in Chicago through a company called i-to-i from UK.  They have 20 hour classroom courses available:

The company was pleasant to work with, and the online course and classroom weekend was helpful.  I obtained the certs and have had no problem since!  I am sure there are other 'online' companies that host weekend seminars, too.

Get a CELTA....that will take care of everything!!!

  • Grimne_Lothos
  • Expert Waygook

    • 846

    • December 28, 2011, 12:56:27 pm
    • Buyeo, south korea
probably more convenient to just a get a MA TESOL

  • skippy
  • Expert Waygook

    • 873

    • January 12, 2011, 04:08:17 pm
    • Daejeon
I think the TEFL certificate is needed and with work hours depending on what public school program you are applying for.  I think Busan/POE needs 100 hours TEFL + 60 hours class training.

For a basic visa E2 with a hagwon, then no TEFL certificate is needed.

Also OP you have two years experience teaching (?), so I think even for public school that is fine.  Just get proof of your experience via a "Certificate of Employment" and you should be fine.  Please read the sticky about getting proof.

From a post on Dave's ESL cafe by the sage ttompatz...

"what's new" bulletin, number 242, titled "Policy Preference for TEFL/TESOL Certificates", dated 2012-8-1 on the EPIK website ( ).

EPIK wrote:
In recent terms, the application process has gradually become more competitive. At this point, it is almost impossible for level 3 applicants to secure a position with the EPIK program. As such, the most common way for level 3 applicants to increase their qualifications would be to enroll in a TEFL or TESOL course.

Currently, we accept a minimum 100 hour TEFL or TESOL certificate as a qualification criteria for level 2 or higher pay grade, regardless of how the course was taken. However, starting from the Fall 2013 term, when we recommend candidates to the POE/MOEs we will give a priority to the applicants possessing a minimum 100 hour TEFL or TESOL with at least a 20 hour offline, in-class component, as opposed to those who only completed a strictly online course. We strongly advise you to take the TEFL or TESOL programs including at least a 20 hour offline, in-class component. However, Busan will only acknowledge TESOL/TEFL certificates that contain at least a 60 hour offline, in-class component. This decision was made to meet requests from the POE/MOEs and schools who wish to have the most qualified Guest English Teachers possible.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 12:24:48 pm by skippy »
Please consider adding some info to your "Personal Text"  Like type of school, visa status, county of origin.  These little bits of info can help people help you.

Get a CELTA....that will take care of everything!!!

This might end up being sound advice. You're going to feel pretty stupid if you do a 20 hour in class course now and then in a couple of years' time companies across the board will be demanding an 80 hour one. As they do in Busan. And so on.