Read 2524 times

Lunchtime Exclusion?
« on: March 07, 2011, 11:39:17 am »
Hi there.

Having taught in Korea for a couple of years it's the first real time that I have experienced this. I'll generally sit anywhere at lunch, I don't care. But I definetely have the feeling that there are lunchtime groups, who go to lunch together. A lot of the time these groups, even fellow co teachers, will avoid me and sit at another table, even when there is space at mine.

Often I eat alone. It's odd. 

Has anyone else experienced this bizarre lunchtime exclusion?

Maybe I should just take a hint? :'(

• bern
  • Veteran

• November 09, 2010, 12:48:34 pm
    • korea
Re: Lunchtime Exclusion?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 11:41:04 am »
I haven't but I'd suggest they're probably just shy. It's actually quite bad form to let someone eat alone in Korea so if you bring it up with the people you would like to sit with I'm sure they'll feel bad and invite you in the future.
Games for Young Learners : www.smalltalkesl.com

• L Waygook
  • Adventurer

• September 06, 2010, 07:54:02 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 11:42:11 am »
I have never felt excluded but there have been times the teachers will choose to sit away from me. I think they get nervous to talk to me at lunch. Sometimes the whole table of us in the cafeteria are silent. Most of the time they speak Korean and every once in a while they will talk to me in English. It't not you. Its them. Good luck!

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 11:42:38 am »
i think they do because of the language thing- they are afraid they can't communicate with you.  I have this all the time- three coteachers live in the same building as me and avoid me like i have the bubonic plague at the bus stop.  It perturbed me at first, until I realized they were incredibly shy and their english wasn't great(it's not bad by any means!)

e

• dchrzano
  • Veteran

• September 12, 2010, 06:41:39 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 11:44:03 am »
Eating is a very social habit in Korea so the teachers take this time to discuss what went on in their classes and discuss their common students.

I would just embrace the change...often I feel insecure eating with the other teachers because they are all looking at me ....looking at what foods I choose, what I don't...why I don't eat the Kimchi..do I like Korean food because I didn't eat all of my meal.

I prefer to eat in peace, as well if I bring snacks if I am not alone it is really awkward because I have to share it or it is expected of me.
De

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 11:46:48 am »
I think it's also a group thing, as you mentioned.  Teachers get into the habit of eating lunch with a certain group of colleagues and then they stick with them.  One of my colleagues said she wants to each lunch with me, but can't because she is obligated to eat with another two teachers.  I always eat with the same two guys - sometimes other teachers join you.

As a previous poster suggested, they are probably just shy, and you'll have to be proactive.

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 11:47:22 am »
There's only enough teachers to fill one table at my school, so I would always sit with my coteacher and be bored out of my mind because, logically, she'd want to converse with other friends in Korean she had not just spent all morning with.

Hence, now, I wait to go to lunch laterish so the teacher's table is full and I can go sit with my first grade girls. Today they were telling me about Victoria and Nickhun's wedding and how one of the girls is going to come back to the States with me in my suitcase. Way more fun! :)

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 11:48:07 am »
My first year was like that but I normally sat with the students, which I preferred anyway.  If there are no students, then perhaps there are some teachers that want to practice their English.  Or sometimes when I go on dinners where they only speak Korean, I sit on the edge and just drink and my mind wanders  :laugh:

• Yu_Bumsuk
  • The Legend

• March 03, 2011, 02:10:36 pm
    • Hicksville, ROK
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 11:50:11 am »
Often I eat alone. It's odd. 

Given certain people's eating styles I certainly wouldn't consider that such a bad thing.

I rotate around the cafeteria.

• togetbex
  • Adventurer

• November 04, 2010, 04:44:33 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 11:55:14 am »
Eating is a very social habit in Korea so the teachers take this time to discuss what went on in their classes and discuss their common students.

I would just embrace the change...often I feel insecure eating with the other teachers because they are all looking at me ....looking at what foods I choose, what I don't...why I don't eat the Kimchi..do I like Korean food because I didn't eat all of my meal.

I prefer to eat in peace, as well if I bring snacks if I am not alone it is really awkward because I have to share it or it is expected of me.

I can SO relate to this. I am a vegetarian and it is impossible for me to bring my lunch and sit with the other teachers and not feel like my food is the object of everyone's attention. EVERY meal I have to explain my food and why I don't eat the food at school. It makes me feel uncomfortable at the very least...so lately I had been eating in my classroom, but I feel like it offends them a little. It's a no win  situation...