Read 10313 times

Pictionary Tournament for MS/HS
« on: March 07, 2011, 10:06:26 am »
Hey all, I created this annual Pictionary tournament in my school.  Many students love my Pictionary tournament because the prize is 1 kg of assorted candies and a pizza school party for the final teams (2-3 teams). First year I had 32 teams (96 students) participating, second year 43 teams (126 students)... third year... probably after midterms.  Everyone gets a small (very cheap candy)

Cost of prizes: 2 pizza school pies (10k won), 1kg of assorted Korean/american candies (5k won), everyone who participated gets a small cheap candy (10k won, go to costco and get those lollipops 300 count)

This is how I set it up...

What you need to set up: I attached 48 cards for you to cut and laminate.  What YOU ALSO want to do is make another copy and laminate a "MASTER sheet" so you don't need to read off the student's card.  The excel sheet that I set up is perfect, you can change the words or move it around.  You can add or what not. 

Teams: 2+ players per team.  First 2 years, I had 3 students per team and everyone must draw.  There are 3 rounds per team but I realize with the number of teams, its too time consuming.  This year, 3 players per team and only 2 can draw.  Championship round - the third player MUST DRAW.

Rules: Artists can't talk, hand movements are allowed, no numbers and letters but symbols are allowed.  We had a controversial call... I had a picture of a church and student used the Christian "t"... some students were angry and so forth.  So put down your rules beforehand.

How to play We all know how to play... spread out the cards and let them choose.  My cards are a bit different, it has a point system.  I give them 1 minute 15 seconds to draw as many of the words on the card.  The point system goes from 1-5.  1 being the easiest ... 5 being the hardest.  Count up the points at the end of the time.  With 2 rounds or more rounds, they have a chance to make up for the failure of the first time.  REMINDER: to write down the number card that they used, you don't want them to do that card again.  REALLY competitive with these students.

Rounds: Every team does 2 or 3 rounds and then total up the score.  Highest 2-3 teams goes to championship round.  Winner gets candy... final round.. everyone gets pizza. 

Wall of Fame: You must take a picture... winner's picture gets posted on the wall.

Attachment: Pictionary cards EXCEL (97-03) version

Also: I've hit a wall... can't get anymore words out of my head.  Would love for you guys to help me and add more words, especially verbs.  Doable drawing verbs.  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Re: Pictionary Tournament for MS/HS
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 10:16:36 am »
Whoops sorry .. forgot to ask you guys...

Please leave feedback, criticisms or any questions... love to hear them.

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 10:27:40 am »
This is a fun idea. The students are so competitive. It is a great way to build relationships with your students. It is something fun and enjoyable. I will try it and let you know what happens
Check it out -good resources
http://sharpenthatpencil.com
ESL Activity Ideas

• felieli
  • Explorer

• March 03, 2011, 12:51:36 pm
    • Busan
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 10:41:36 am »
pictionary is great for just about any age, good idea

• SteveP
  • Adventurer

• October 26, 2010, 05:37:04 am
    • Daegu
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 01:31:12 pm »
Thanks so much PrinceJeffie!
I'm impressed by how many words fit in the ideal range of difficulty that is feasible, but still challenging

It's been working well with my often less-enthusiastic middle schoolers.

• j.coyle
  • Adventurer

• December 07, 2010, 12:47:45 pm
    • Gangdong, Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 02:41:28 pm »
May give this a shot

• Mylove
  • Waygookin

• October 28, 2010, 11:55:22 am
    • seoul
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 03:13:39 pm »
I will try it and post results.
Fantastic idea!!!!
Napoleon could have turned back and no one would have blamed him..but no one would have remembered him

• mcafnan
  • Newgookin

• May 29, 2014, 01:42:54 am
    • Ontario
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 01:50:28 am »
Thanks so much for attaching your excel sheet!  It's fantastic.  :) 

I plan to use your format and cards for a fundraiser to establish a dog park this year.

• Rafiqua
  • Super Waygook

• January 05, 2013, 04:15:41 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 08:04:26 am »
this is great~!  8)

I printed it out, cant wait to play it with my HS boys!

• emwsu
  • Veteran

• November 28, 2010, 09:19:06 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2014, 09:16:26 am »
I love the card set up! Thanks! It is also super easy to alter to our own classroom needs.

I know how you feel about thinking of words... I can never get from my CTs what the students are learning or should know.  :evil:
The good and bad sides of having no book  :huh:

• adfletch83
  • Super Waygook

• June 02, 2012, 11:01:40 pm
    • Daegu, ROK
    more
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2014, 09:34:15 am »
I love the card set up! Thanks! It is also super easy to alter to our own classroom needs.

I know how you feel about thinking of words... I can never get from my CTs what the students are learning or should know.  :evil:

Ditto.

Me: What chapter are you on in the book? Maybe I can design an activity for my class to reinforce what they are learning...

Them: haha, no, it's ok, you should do something different.

Me: I will, I won't use the book AT ALL. What are you doing? Nouns? Past Perfect tense? Subjunctive Clauses? F+cking Ancient Aramaic Satanic Spells for Devil Worship? WHAT?!?!

Them: ... it's ok, you do your class  :huh:
Have a nice Daegu!!

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2014, 07:42:49 pm »

Ditto.

Me: What chapter are you on in the book? Maybe I can design an activity for my class to reinforce what they are learning...

Them: haha, no, it's ok, you should do something different.

Me: I will, I won't use the book AT ALL. What are you doing? Nouns? Past Perfect tense? Subjunctive Clauses? F+cking Ancient Aramaic Satanic Spells for Devil Worship? WHAT?!?!

Them: ... it's ok, you do your class  :huh:

Same situation here for two of my schools.  They tell me not to use the book, but when I ask what they've learned, what they're learning, or anything related, they tell me to do my own classes.  It's like, yes, I will do my own, and I won't even crack the book, but I want to make sure that my lessons can be useful to them.

• kclark14
  • Waygookin

• August 21, 2013, 06:18:07 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2014, 03:33:08 pm »
Nice-uhh!! One of my school's is definitely way too big to do something like this (not to mention those lovely principal problems), but the smaller might work with this. Much better than the pictionary stuff I usually do. Cheers!