Read 7173 times

• peach26
  • Veteran

• February 06, 2012, 11:16:25 am
    • Korea
Not getting renewed in a public school
« on: April 09, 2013, 02:55:05 pm »
Is it true that if you don't get renewed by a public school, you can never work in a public school again?  I was teaching in a GEPIK school and wasn't renewed.  I heard from other NETS in the neighborhood I was working at a school where backstabbing had gone on before.  I don't really want to leave Korea, but I am too scared of going back to a hagwon after not doing so in three years.  Most jobs here treat foreigners like dirt, too, especially hagwons.  I also don't want to go sit at my Mom and Dad's house for months...my hometown is small, boring, and there are nothing but restaurant jobs and Wal-Mart.  The nearest big city is 2 hours away.  I don't want to just sit with my parents all the time like I did before.  I feel like such a loser, and have been crying almost everyday from the stress and sometimes I wish I were dead.  Two women teachers were actually walking behind me laughing at me this afternoon.  One of them had seen me in the nurse's room sick from stress today.  They had it in for me from the start last year.  They did the same to the teacher before me I heard.

• shygirl
  • Adventurer

• November 04, 2010, 09:17:09 am
    • South Korea
Re: Not getting renewed in a public school
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 03:04:15 pm »
It depends on the recommendation letter you receive. I can assure you, there are many teachers that have changed schools due to not being renewed.

• acousticr
  • Expert Waygook

• January 24, 2013, 11:42:50 am
    • Gyeonggi
    more
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 03:06:10 pm »
Sounds like a miserable position that I'd be glad to leave.

Don't worry, just go through a recruiter. I wasn't renewed at my last school but I have another job in another GEPIK school.
$10 off your first order at iHerb.com with this code: BPC852

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 03:15:21 pm »
Not remotely true.

I was working at PS last year, applied for renewal, didn't get it because I was "difficult to work with" (news to me. No one "worked with" me all year) and was allowed to transfer to a different PS. The head of the MOE knew me and knew that I didn't suddenly become a jerk. He knew there were problems at the school I was at. I may have not helped, but I certainly didn't cause them.

• dachiza727
  • Super Waygook

• June 24, 2010, 09:52:23 pm
    • South Korea
    more
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 03:23:05 pm »
stay strong peach!  and above all try to find the positives, the up side.  =) 

you're so money and you don't even know it!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUa2atNxhfg&list=PLF27F8E1793C1BE7D&index=5
"Iíll have a vanilla...one of those vanilla bullshit things. You know, whatever you want, some vanilla bullshit latte cappa thing. Whatever you got."

true dat.

• glb0b
  • Expert Waygook

• July 06, 2010, 03:02:56 pm
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 03:23:56 pm »
I know 2 people who weren't renewed at their schools this year.

One got another public school job but the other could only get a hagwon job due to a bad reference from the previous school.

• newb
  • Newgookin

• November 20, 2012, 10:38:27 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 03:27:26 pm »
I agree with other posters. 

Do your best to not show your fear and stressfulness.  If you do, they'll just gang up on you and start eating you alive.     
HEY CAN YOU FILL THE OIL AND CHECK THE GAS PLEASE!!!!

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 03:32:05 pm »
I worked at a public school in the GEPIK program for 3 years. That school was kind enough to have my contract renewed. I did not renew it the third year because I got a contract to teach in Taiwan. But I totally regret not staying there in Yongin where I was because I did such a good job in Yongin. I spent another 3 years out of Korea and now I am back. But after reading your story, I really hope that I will get the chance to have my contract renewed.

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 03:40:29 pm »
Not true.
If you quit your public school contract early you will probably be blacklisted and can't work in a public school again, but if your contracts ends normally then it's ok. Hagwons will take anyone with a pulse. Unless you cause everyone you interact with to have a total downer you should be okay.

• cracker
  • Veteran

• April 04, 2011, 12:20:11 pm
    • Gangwon-do
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 04:00:24 pm »
OP

I took the time to read through your previous posts before I typed this out.

I'd say to need to stop, think and make a plan about where you want to be in 1 year, 5 and 10 yearsí time.

I also think you need to work on your interpersonal skills with women (just the vibe I get from your posts) - sorry if my vibe is wrong!

You've got to like yourself, before others will like you!

Get your head up, look to the horizon and make a plan - the internet is full of information about every country/job/ artistic field known to man!

Be positive!

But learn from your mistakes - and stop with the suicidal thoughts!

People care about you (besides potentially harming yourself) how do you think they would feel if you did something to yourself!

Head up!  :wink:

• Wintermute
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 06, 2011, 01:07:27 pm
    • MURRICA!!!
    more
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2013, 05:22:38 pm »
so wait, dachiza....did he get the digits man?!?!?

• Mezoti97
  • The Legend

• April 14, 2011, 03:02:50 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2013, 08:36:35 pm »
Is it true that if you don't get renewed by a public school, you can never work in a public school again? 

No, not true -- in my case, my former MOE/POE didn't renew my contract at the public school where I used to work in the past, and now I am working in a public school at a different MOE/POE. To increase your chances of finding a new public school position, I would just recommend applying to a different MOE/POE, and also getting a good recommendation letter from a co-teacher. Having good references is also a big factor -- in my personal experience, whenever I apply for jobs in Korea, they are always big on calling your references and hearing what they have to say.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 07:52:29 am by Mezoti97 »

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2013, 09:14:24 pm »
Trust me, its not the end of the world. My contract wasnt renewed and I left in August because my co-teacher (I use co-teacher EXTREMELY loosely) said "the students like you but not your class." I came back in February and I am now earning more money, living in a part of Korea that resembles the 21st century, and working at a much better elementary school. While in the states I decided to get my CELTA. Go home, relax for a little bit, then come back to Korea.

PS: Get a reference letter from the principal. Its very important to get it before leaving.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 09:16:58 pm by kingkeiser »

• damof
  • Super Waygook

• April 29, 2012, 07:45:19 pm
    • Yongin
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2013, 11:03:06 pm »
Was told last year my Gepik job wasn't being renewed. Happened to a couple of Gepik teachers in the area. The education office lost funding. And guess what, all of those teachers are still in Korea, still working in public schools. For my part, I got a job with Epik and I couldn't be happier.

Chill, girl. Even if your recruiter can't find a position for you, you'll surely get a job with a different recruiter/office. This is nowhere near a disaster. No need to be crying.

• Smaug
  • Veteran

• October 07, 2010, 02:09:00 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2013, 12:12:59 am »
I had a slouch teacher. the elem kids fought. the teacher said she hated me. told i could not renew there. also office of educ said i cant renew anywhere.

the teacher before me said worse coteacher and she hates most kids. they were brats mostly. anyway i got a job for set up in taiwan. they saw my vid i made of me. they sent me contract print sign and mail. i did not. last minute got a job in far off korea province. real real weird story 2. at first recruiter said oh got a this public school here. i say cool. then he emails and says schol contacted ur old schol- they said you are a sack of snot. sorry no job. then i was like ok gonna lurn me funny china speak. i am going to jungle island. then recruiter emails me. he says he has another skol. i interview. say yeah other skol was rough. the oldster guy on skype likes me. but he infers he is gonna call my old skol or province. no idea why i then got the job. it could be he talked to the vice principle who liked me. or could be they hated me but just needed a highly overqualified teacher not in his 20s. anyway no idea but this new place has me. and it was way funny i went to the old office of education and got a copy of my old fbi check they had. i say,

smag:"who talked to Blabster province of education? you told them i suxor."

korean super in office lookin at my unshaved sweaty self with shorts on in her holy office:
"oh yes not sure on that. but why you need fbi check- who hire you?

Smaug:"Cult of Dragon Magnet schol hired me. please send them my fbi check- here is postage and envelope for it with address"

suoerkorean:
'wow that is strange we bared u from employment in korea. oh well good luck. we will send ur fbi to them."

so they did... so i got hired by this schol. kinda sad cuz if they had not hired me i would be a kung fu master and gourmet waak cooker by now.through it all i had a laid back no hate attitude. like i had guys yelling in my air in the desert at night to reload the belt into the 50 cuz ... why are these guys gonna phase my Epic veteran self? cheer up Peach. dont burn bridges. you can still get a job somewhere maybe in korea.
Herbalife http://tinyurl.com/l27uct3 ahh no thx!
Apa! http://tinyurl.com/kmfr9du
Saliva "Your Disease" Do you know the Fat guy at 2:07?  http://tinyurl.com/l52w76v
Skyrim http://tinyurl.com/cqb32bp

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2013, 03:43:42 am »
words

I've been lurking for a while, but this post got me to register just to tell you I lol'd.

• damof
  • Super Waygook

• April 29, 2012, 07:45:19 pm
    • Yongin
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2013, 07:19:39 am »
Smaug, your post, what the hell happened?

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2013, 07:36:39 am »
Cult of Dragon Magnet schol

I would like to sign up for this. Thanks.

• theory_
  • Veteran

• March 12, 2013, 09:18:32 am
    • south korea
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2013, 07:46:08 am »
In addition to what everyone else has added, I do think I need to suggest that you go talk to someone of a professional nature. Having thoughts of wanting to harm yourself is serious thing. I can't stress enough the need to be able to develop appropriate coping mechanisms. Korea can be a bitch and you have to be able to figure out how to deal with the things it tosses at you. People may talk or laugh about you anywhere you go, and you have to be ready to stand up to that.
Good luck and I wish you all the best the world has to offer.

• Dagger
  • Veteran

• August 17, 2012, 04:03:05 pm
    • Busan
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2013, 08:13:23 am »
to the dude who posts as smaug. i know you're trying awfully hard to be funny with your sarcastic, illiterate posts. but come on dude, it's seriously not funny. it's actually a little sad that you take the time to write such extremely long journal entries to try and please others on this website. i feel your social life is almost nonexistent, please rectify this for your own good!

OP, don't fret! plenty of PS jobs available for you after you've finished. just be strong and hang in there!