Read 1868 times

• climber
  • Super Waygook

• January 02, 2011, 06:52:36 pm
    • Ilsan
What did you do for April Fool's Day?
« on: April 01, 2013, 01:46:55 pm »
I gave my students a pop quiz. Then, I had one student read all of the words to the class. It went over pretty well and all the kids seemed to enjoy the joke.

1. This
2. is
3. not
4. a
5. real
6. test
7. Happy
8. April
9. Fool's
10. Day

Re: What did you do for April Fool's Day?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 01:50:19 pm »
I changed all the writing on my whiteboard to French. I started speaking French to the class and taught them "Comment  ša va?" It went over pretty well for the students who realized what I was up to... the ones who are lost in English class probably felt equally lost and couldn't really tell the difference  :rolleyes:

• rocketeerjoe
  • Expert Waygook

• March 08, 2012, 07:52:35 am
    • Jinhae, South Korea
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 02:06:06 pm »
I told my class I cared about them.
"If you want to change your direction. If your time of life is at hand. Well, then don't be the rule, be the exception. A good place to start is to stand. Just put one foot in front of the other." - Rankin Bass Santa Claus

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 06:28:31 pm »
Made a Memory/Match game with theme-related pictures, but there was no match.

As groups clued on, I made sure they were quiet about it, and even got some to play along pretending they had matches/had finished, so that the last few groups really got confused and a little bit worked up.

My CT suggested I go teach Korean class, focusing on pronunciation and vocab of Korean words and use the worst accent possible, but walk in dead serious.

Also wanted to walk into my 1st grade conversation and do the lesson in Korean, (obviously saying the right words for the lesson though like "Today's lesson is Superstitions. Does anyone know what superstitions are?") and just switch fluidly back to english and deny I ever spoke Korean ever, and what did they hear? i can't speak korean! Just try and get them to doubt themselves for a minute. Decided not to, as my 1st graders are not really aware of my Korean knowledge, and I tend to let it stay that way until they move to 2nd grade.

Last year, my class was in a room with whiteboards at each end, so my CT and I mock-fought over the class not listening to us, and taught two lessons at the same time, while yelling at the students to turn around and listen to each of us, and ignore the other. It was fun watching them afraid of not looking at someone. Eventually as part of the joke, it broke down into my CT and I fighting with each other from across the room. The students bought it as well, they thought it was the complete de-evolution of their teachers' relationship
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 06:30:24 pm by probablylauren »
I'm loving iHerb. Check out http://www.iherb.com/ and enter my Rewards Code HLC923 to receive up to $10.00 off your first purchase

• Harpoinseoul
  • Expert Waygook

• March 23, 2011, 06:49:03 pm
    • Coquitlam, BC
    more
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 08:24:43 pm »
I showed the flying penguin video and the elevator ghost one from Brazil. They really got a kick out of them.
Skype Video Counselor in Coquitlam, BC

Make the best use of what's in your power; take the rest as it comes.

The thing that upsets people is not what happens; but what they think it means.

Epictetus (55 - 135 C.E.)

Inter-faith spiritual counselor
http://www.harpo.ca

• Ilsan
  • Explorer

• April 02, 2013, 08:55:06 am
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 09:12:24 am »
I became their homeroom teacher.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 11:12:08 am »
1. I phoned my director's wife and told her I was getting married in Seoul. (Didn't work, she knew it was April Fool's! Three years ago I got her good with an emergency call from "Seoul" when I had apparently "misssed my flight back to Jeju" and "couldn't teach".

2. I taped the office manager's mouse to his mouse pad.

3. I turned the office photocopier language from Korean/English to Thai.

4. I switched nameplates of teachers outside of classrooms.

5. I announced and posted it was Pizza Party Day!

6. I showed students the video of last year's new invention, Google Nose, a 2-min. feature of 15 million plus scents catelogued and accessible via computer and smartphone via photon smell technology!

I've done much more in years past! :evil:

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 11:18:15 am »
I forgot to do anything! FAIL!

One of the part-timers (administrative staff) got all the foreign teachers, though. She went around telling everyone it was her last day. (Totally believable, because turnover for those jobs is high.)

Then the next day, she was at work and she said "I'm sorry, it was April Fool's Day!"

It was really cute.

• ritum
  • Waygookin

• March 06, 2013, 01:28:13 pm
    • Ilsan, Goyang
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 12:54:47 pm »
Hahaha, these are all such awesome ideas! I really like the original one about the test, definitely keeping it in mind! I didn't even realize it was April 1st until about 1pm when it's midnight back home and my fb got flooded :( Fail!