Read 4782 times

• rxqueen
  • Veteran

• December 01, 2010, 02:56:38 pm
    • South Korea
Self-defense classes for women
« on: April 04, 2013, 01:21:34 pm »

I live in Suwon (just south of Seoul) and am looking for a place where I can take a self-defense course.  So far, the only thing that I have found is in Busan, which is much too far away.

Do any of you have some information you can share?

Thank you!

Re: Self-defense classes for women
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 07:44:16 pm »
Look for martial arts studios. Tip: tae kwon do is not specifically for self defense. It is intended to be done for sport. Good luck with it! Martial arts is awesome!

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 01:20:34 pm »
I used to do krav maga back home and would really recommend it...I think there is a place in Itaewon but I've never been.

• rxqueen
  • Veteran

• South Korea
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 02:41:51 pm »
I just looked up the place in Itaewon and there was a free krav maga workshop last weekend!  What luck!  Anyways, I'm looking into their classes now.

Thanks so much for the info!

Also, to anyone else who may be interested, here is the website: http://www.seoulmartialarts.com/

• Frozencat99
  • The Legend

• October 09, 2011, 04:31:36 pm
    more
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 11:12:46 pm »
You should look into immediate self-defense classes and strategies rather than martial arts. Martial arts will take months or years for you to be trained to react to a combat or defensive situation. Someone who wants to rob, assault and/or rape you will not act slowly like in a beginner's martial arts class.

<Edit: Still get into the martial arts if you want, they're great for fitness and, eventually, self-defense... but do look into immediate protection, first.>
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 12:43:36 pm by Frozencat99 »
Beware the Homosexual Industrial Complex -- http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-june-17-2013/left-behind

You can leave your heterophobia behind.

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2013, 12:28:13 pm »
there are a lot of kickboxing gyms...in most areas ...there is one close to suwon station....and one in ajou

• philby1985
  • Expert Waygook

• March 05, 2013, 09:10:49 am
    • Daejeon
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2013, 06:44:48 pm »
The best thing to do would be to look out for a class that specifically teaches some basic self defense techniques and focuses on just that handful of techniques. It is the quickest way to build confidence and learn to defend yourself.

Don't write Taekwondo clubs off completely. Some offer classes that specifically focus on teaching some basic self defense skills. If you are looking to build confidence, fitness, balance and learn to kick then any Taekwondo club will do the job.

I would recommend Hapkido. It focuses specifically on self defense. I studied Hapkido (and Taekwondo) in Australia. There are a lot of techniques in Hapkido (some useful, some not so useful) which is why if you are looking to quickly grasp the basics a class that focuses on basic self defense would be better. Hapkido will teach you how to get out of different grabs and locks and also teach you how to disarm someone with a knife or other weapon. It is very much a defensive martial art.

If Hapkido sounds like your thing, keep an eye out for this logo.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d3/Korea_Hapkido_Federation_logo.png

Cheers
Phil
http://gdaykorea.blogspot.kr/

• Makino
  • Super Waygook

• December 24, 2012, 02:10:09 pm
    • Namyangju-Si, Gyeonggi-Do
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 10:59:02 am »
I just started my hapkido classes this week.
I started learning self-defence moves on my first night, which was surprising but pleasing. Right now I'm learning about breaking out of wrist-grabs so it seems useful already. I've learned 8 different techniques in a week so I'd have to disagree that it takes months and years to learn.
Of course it will take time to become awesome at it, but the basic knowledge is still there, should I need it.
Just sayin...

• Frozencat99
  • The Legend

• October 09, 2011, 04:31:36 pm
    more
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 11:12:25 am »
I just started my hapkido classes this week.
I started learning self-defence moves on my first night, which was surprising but pleasing. Right now I'm learning about breaking out of wrist-grabs so it seems useful already. I've learned 8 different techniques in a week so I'd have to disagree that it takes months and years to learn.
Of course it will take time to become awesome at it, but the basic knowledge is still there, should I need it.
Just sayin...

Is the instructor coming at you with the same speed, force and intent as someone who wants to push you somewhere for sexual assault or rape?

If not, you're not going to be effective immediately and you won't respond in an instinctual manner.
Beware the Homosexual Industrial Complex -- http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-june-17-2013/left-behind

You can leave your heterophobia behind.

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 12:01:06 pm »
Agreed.
Martial arts classes have TONS of great benefits - coordination, fitness, confidence, mental health, etc. But aren't too helpful in a real street fight.
"I've seen a guy with a black belt break someone's nose with a high kick, so you're wrong."
Yeah? Well, I've seen more guys pull their opponents shirt over their head and hockey punch the guy till their ribs broke. I've seen guys throw sand or salt at someone and then tackle and turn the blinded person so they could kick them in the kidneys and get them pissing blood for a week.

In the Busan area there is a self defense class strictly for women that is exactly what FrozenCat is talking about; tactics like, using your heels to stop their ankles or jab at body parts.

If you're unable to find something akin to that, look for gyms that focus on combat sport. Frozencat's point is that successfully escaping a violent altercation is more about being able to keep a clear head and know what to do.

OP, I'd also recommend doing something for your general strength and fitness.
It doesn't matter how much you know about "leverage" and "weakspots", being at a marked physical disadvantage is a REAL big problem.
I was a pretty solid and technically sound wrestler in high school, and I would get flat out beasted by 1st year wrestlers who were bigger and stronger than me.

Fighting is insane, you have to be ready to hurt someone, you have to become a momentary sociopath. If someone is choking you, you have to be able to turn off the part of you that says, "please, don't" and turn on the part of you that thinks, "If I can grab their pinky I can snap it in half. Then the other fingers until they let go. I think I can drive my thumb through their eyeball."

• rxqueen
  • Veteran

• South Korea
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2014, 08:32:07 am »
The women's self-defense class has started up again at the Body and Seoul studio in Noksapyeong.  It's every Saturday from 11 to 12:15.  I went to the last 2 classes and would highly recommend it to anyone interested in learning some self-defense techniques. 

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2014, 08:47:26 am »
Whether martial arts for sport or a self defense class...
Repetition is key if you really want to use it when the stuff hits the fan.

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2014, 11:49:22 am »
As someone who has been training in martial arts for 16 years id def say go with something defensive similar to hapkido or Aikido. These styles use an opponents energy/attacks against them and give you time after execution to get away.
 I have no training in Krav maga but from what others have told me its a pretty brutal style in the hands of an experienced practioner. That being said, Id also believe that it would take a decent sized person to use it to full extent. Currently I am training in Muay thai in Dongtan (right next to suwon) and the gym I train at is decent in self defense courses. I recommend going to a gym/martial art studio that you find and watching a class or taking a free (should be!) intro course to see if it feels right to you.

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2014, 12:23:45 pm »
Whether martial arts for sport or a self defense class...
Repetition is key if you really want to use it when the stuff hits the fan.

This person is right.  It doesn't matter if you are taking an actual self defense class or if you are practicing a ring sport, repetition is key.  For instance you can learn a jab in a day but it will take you awhile to master the basic jab.

You can't build muscle memory in one day.  You can't learn the instance when you are supposed to throw jab from a class.  You have to learn to react with jab.  I am sure it is the same with self defense techniques too.

Regardless, good luck.  And don't quit practicing fisticuffs when you think "you already know how".  You can never over hear the intricacies of the basics.