Read 2425 times

• jbland
  • Explorer

• March 25, 2013, 02:04:20 pm
    • Seoul
Late Severance Pay/Or Trying to Avoid Paying
« on: April 02, 2013, 02:09:55 pm »
Hello, I am very new to this community and have really enjoyed all of the information on here. With that being said, I need some help.

I recently left a kindergarten and began working at a public school. The kindergarten I worked for is a chain and I worked for a branch in Songpa. In Feb., this branch closed down. (Right when all contracts was supposed to be renewed.) My director went to the Jamsil branch but because they already had a NT there, I would not be able to renew my contract.

Our normal payday was on the 10th of every month. I received my last paycheck, but did not receive the severance pay as stated in the contract. It says that I would be paid the severance once 1 year was completed. It also said it could take 4 weeks to be sent. Well, I have waited and last week I asked my old director when she thought it would be sent. She then replied that it wouldn't be sent until after June. If I wanted it faster, I needed to contact the owner of our school.

We sent several text back and forth about my pay. He always replied with extreme vague answers. When I asked for a round about date, he simply said we are trying our best. I then, had a friend try calling him. No answer. I waited over the weekend to think about what I should do next. On Monday, I tried calling him but no answer. I then sent another message telling him that I need an exact date I would be paid. This message was never replied to.

My co-teachers here at my new school all say I need to form a formal complaint . (I guess through the government.) They said they would help me fill out the form as it is mostly in Korean and when it comes to technical terms, my Korean isn't that great.

Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone have any ideas of what I should do? I am beginning to think he dosn't want to pay and is the reason he has been avoiding his phone calls and text.

Any help or thoughts of what to do would be greatly appreciated. The plan at the moment is to fill out the formal complaint tomorrow to see what the next step is.

Thanks.

• country09
  • Expert Waygook

• January 05, 2011, 10:04:21 am
Re: Late Severance Pay/Or Trying to Avoid Paying
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 02:19:01 pm »
Go through the labor board.

You are correct when it comes to the law and severance. You have a bad situation but it seems like you are in a new supportive environment. Use the teachers that have offered their help in the matter and go through the Labor Board. I have never had to deal with them but plenty of people have and I assume with limited Korean support. I would think you will have few problems getting this worked out once you begin hopefully.

Best of luck

• Jrong
  • The Legend

• April 28, 2011, 12:52:32 pm
    more
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 02:21:44 pm »
go to labour board immediately. Google the lb to find locations near u.
"When in doubt...ask Troglodyte" ~0mnslnd

• tausha12
  • Veteran

• May 03, 2012, 07:24:08 am
    • Dongducheon, South Korea
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 02:22:36 pm »
From what I know about most hagwons, they usually pay you the severance on your last day or when you get your final paycheck. Of course, the contracts can be different. Still if your contract stated you had to wait 4 weeks to get the severance pay and that has passed, and the owner won't talk with you then you need to file the formal complaint.

• taeyang
  • Moderator - LVL 4

• September 08, 2010, 08:35:10 am
    • daejeon
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 02:31:00 pm »
labour board.
use google to search the site

site:waygook.org XXXX

replace 'XXXX' with your search term

• jbland
  • Explorer

• Seoul
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 02:47:28 pm »
Thanks for the fast responses! I will be filing the report tomorrow.

I am just curious, has anyone had any success through this? Once I file the report, will anything actually happen?

• cracker
  • Veteran

• April 04, 2011, 12:20:11 pm
    • Gangwon-do
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 02:56:42 pm »
I saw a thread on Dave's ESL website that gave a link, allowing you to apply online (file your complaint), using an English web page.

Search Daves - this was in the last week or so.......

• Jrong
  • The Legend

• April 28, 2011, 12:52:32 pm
    more
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 03:09:17 pm »
My lady filed and got $ immediately. I may have to file as well if my boss turns out to not be that bright and hasn't caught on when it's my turn. Sometimes I feel like I'm playing checkers with the boss not chess. Actually more like Candyland. He asked me the other day "you know, you can quit early if you want and I'll give you an LOR". I have less than a month left on my contract. He wants to get out of paying severance and flight, lol. Candyland (fingers crossed).
"When in doubt...ask Troglodyte" ~0mnslnd

• jbland
  • Explorer

• Seoul
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 03:14:09 pm »
Thanks for the encouragement. I filed the complaint today and have to wait for it to all go through. I was told once everything goes through, they may set up a meeting for the two of us to meet to solve the problem. I'm just hoping once he gets contacted by LB, he will just send my money. Thanks again for all the advice!