Read 7000 times

• consentient
  • Veteran

• March 24, 2013, 08:54:24 am
    • Daegu, Republic of Korea
Re: I'm allergic to my apartment and my school is NOT helping!!!
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2013, 12:13:49 pm »
Have you been to the Office of Education with these problems? If you have, and they won't help you with what in most parts of Europe would be common decency and sympathy, I'd leave. No hesitation. You have to draw the line somewhere.

I've read a fair number of horror stories on here lately, and have been saying the same thing to each one: no contract is worth your health.

If you've raised the issue, and not received the proper attention, the contract is effectively over anyway (in terms of the integrity of your employer, and possibly even legally).

I'm so sorry to hear what you're going through. Hope you get it solved - one way or the other - ASAP.

:)

I've recently found myself in quite the situation at my school. Our school just went down from two native teachers to one. So after the second teacher left they decided to move me into his apartment as I was experiencing some water damage in my own. I warned them that I don't think it would be okay because I am really allergic to cats and the previous tenant housed 4. But they decided to move me anyway. Sure enough, after moving in, the cat hair and dander were just too much and I found myself breaking out in rashes and now my health is really poor  (I have asthma). Also found a hornets nest on the wall in the apartment and there was a lovely little home of cockroaches under the sink.

I have showed the schools the pictures of my rashes and of the cockroaches and cat hair. i have now gone to the hospital and went through many (extremely expensive) tests to show my school that the apartment is making me sick. The doctor wrote me a certificate recommending that I change apartments. I will give my school the certificate tomorrow.

Today, I found out that the school wants me to find my own housing and they will just give me the 400,000 won a month allowance. They will not give me key money, and I am not able to afford key money in this city. Also, they will not be able to provide me with the 400,000 won allowance until May because they don't have the money. NOT TO MENTION, they forgot to take my pension money out of my paycheck for the ENTIRE year and now they are taking it out of two months worth of paychecks. So even if I did find an apartment without key money, I would not be able to afford rent at my new place for the month of April.

I have talked to everyone. I am still waiting to hear from some people as the problem is still pretty recent. HELP!!! WHAT SHOULD I DO?!?!?!?!?!? I have couch surfed for long enough! My school did not own my previous apartment or the other native teacher's, they both belonged to other schools. Shouldn't they be able to apply for key money for me???

• behrensk
  • Adventurer

• March 02, 2012, 02:04:53 pm
    • Chuncheon, Gangwon-do
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2013, 12:21:53 pm »
I've been to the office of education. They said not to worry that the school was going to find appropriate housing for me. But then I found that my school isn't going to find new housing. I've contemplated leaving. But I want my exit money etc. I'm so tired of being tired. So I will couch surf until I can find an appropriate room for myself.

This will now DEFINITELY be the last year at my school. I will simply transfer.

Cats aren't really a common household pet here in Korea. If I find a new place I will be able to tell if cats have lived there after being inside for about 10 minutes. My allergy is severe.

• Nivea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 02, 2011, 11:23:30 pm
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2013, 07:38:07 am »
I've been to the office of education. They said not to worry that the school was going to find appropriate housing for me. But then I found that my school isn't going to find new housing. I've contemplated leaving. But I want my exit money etc. I'm so tired of being tired. So I will couch surf until I can find an appropriate room for myself.

Cats aren't really a common household pet here in Korea. If I find a new place I will be able to tell if cats have lived there after being inside for about 10 minutes. My allergy is severe.

Just because you want to transfer doesn't mean they will do it for you. You might have have to not renew at the end of your contract.

• consentient
  • Veteran

• March 24, 2013, 08:54:24 am
    • Daegu, Republic of Korea
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2013, 07:39:31 am »
Cats are demonic. Why some people let them in their houses I don't know.

I hope they come through for you pretty soon. If not, my previous advice stands.

• behrensk
  • Adventurer

• March 02, 2012, 02:04:53 pm
    • Chuncheon, Gangwon-do
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2013, 12:10:17 pm »
They'll let me transfer. I've already asked about it.

« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2019, 03:38:29 pm »
For the record, the apartment has been CLEANED. And I mean, really cleaned. Yet I still am so sick. My health is really poor and my asthma just can't take the dander that I can't find. Not to mention, the place is full of cat pee everywhere. It smells and it's on the walls and in the floor. Honestly the only thing I can do is move. But because the situation was my school's fault they will help me move my furniture. I just need to find a small one room with really low key money.

I'm sorry for bumping this old thread, but I really feel like I have some advice to offer you as I used to live in a dorm room that just reeked of cat piss.

One of my 2 cats (both neutered males) had taken to painting all of my walls, furniture, and anything else he could reach. I was horrified when I got a UV light. He never did that in all of the 9 years I've had him and didn't when I got him a buddy (they love each other and did so right away) but when a strange black cat started showing up outside both of my cats went nuts and the older one (9) started his wall painting, as well as the curtains out in the kitty room. I couldn't keep up with it.

My cats are indoor cats so it's not like the stray is actually going to get in here but they both hate him (and he is weird...my neighbor's cats hate him too). I've tried cleaning with a pet urine enzyme and then spraying some "No More Spraying" but that hasn't worked. He's a sneaky little bugger too; he waits until he thinks I'm not looking and then does it. He's learned that the minute I see him backing his butt up to something he gets yelled at.

It wasn't until I found "Cat Spraying No More" that I was able to finally get rid of this tiresome behavior.

Now my house doesn't smell like a litter box anymore :)

Here's a link the their site if you're interested in checking it out: nomorecatpee.com

I hope you guys don't mind me sharing this. Cheers!

• LIC
  • Super Waygook

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2019, 11:47:25 am »
For the record, the apartment has been CLEANED. And I mean, really cleaned. Yet I still am so sick. My health is really poor and my asthma just can't take the dander that I can't find. Not to mention, the place is full of cat pee everywhere. It smells and it's on the walls and in the floor. Honestly the only thing I can do is move. But because the situation was my school's fault they will help me move my furniture. I just need to find a small one room with really low key money.

Confused...the place has been really cleaned yet there's cat pee everywhere.

Are you sure there aren't cats still in the place?

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2019, 01:02:01 pm »

I'm sorry for bumping this old thread, but I really feel like I have some advice to offer you as I used to live in a dorm room that just reeked of cat piss.

One of my 2 cats (both neutered males) had taken to painting all of my walls, furniture, and anything else he could reach. I was horrified when I got a UV light. He never did that in all of the 9 years I've had him and didn't when I got him a buddy (they love each other and did so right away) but when a strange black cat started showing up outside both of my cats went nuts and the older one (9) started his wall painting, as well as the curtains out in the kitty room. I couldn't keep up with it.

My cats are indoor cats so it's not like the stray is actually going to get in here but they both hate him (and he is weird...my neighbor's cats hate him too). I've tried cleaning with a pet urine enzyme and then spraying some "No More Spraying" but that hasn't worked. He's a sneaky little bugger too; he waits until he thinks I'm not looking and then does it. He's learned that the minute I see him backing his butt up to something he gets yelled at.

It wasn't until I found "Cat Spraying No More" that I was able to finally get rid of this tiresome behavior.

Now my house doesn't smell like a litter box anymore :)

Here's a link the their site if you're interested in checking it out: nomorecatpee.com

I hope you guys don't mind me sharing this. Cheers!
Has anyone else noticed that there's an individual on this site who keeps bringing up old waygook threads under a different alias each time (this time its HollisterHu22) and then offering some or other bogus product available at some or other website? Last week he was peddling some fake tattoo removal site.

Seriously mods, get on this and ban the dude's IP already. 

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2019, 01:15:26 pm »
Has anyone else noticed that there's an individual on this site who keeps bringing up old waygook threads under a different alias each time (this time its HollisterHu22) and then offering some or other bogus product available at some or other website? Last week he was peddling some fake tattoo removal site.

I haven't actually noticed this, but thanks for pointing it out!
Can you link to the thread where that other poster is hawking their product?
If the IPs match, I can bring it to sysamin's attention, and they can ban the IP (I'm not able to do that).

« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2019, 01:43:42 pm »

If the IPs match, I can bring it to sysamin's attention, and they can ban the IP (I'm not able to do that).
Here's are two from last week, both posted under the alias j4mie321:

https://www.waygook.org/index.php?topic=50956.0

https://www.waygook.org/index.php?topic=39326.msg804112;topicseen#msg804112

His location always shows up as Sweden, for some reason.

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2019, 01:50:03 pm »
Yep, same IP address (surprise surprise). I'll mention it to our glorious leader.

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• October 15, 2013, 07:32:43 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2019, 03:29:32 pm »
The way the housing is built there there are always windows and cracks not properly sealed.  Thus why we will always have moisture seeping in.  It's just one of the joys of living here.  There nothing we can do.  Even my apartment that was built in 2015 is beginning to show signs of mildew in the ceilings.   It's not obvious yet but in 3 more years I can can bet it will turn black.   

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2019, 12:53:33 pm »
The way the housing is built there there are always windows and cracks not properly sealed.  Thus why we will always have moisture seeping in.  It's just one of the joys of living here.  There nothing we can do.  Even my apartment that was built in 2015 is beginning to show signs of mildew in the ceilings.   It's not obvious yet but in 3 more years I can can bet it will turn black.   

It depends on how poorly built and cheap the villa owner or apartment builder was.  Some are well built and some are built like crap.  I lived in one built in 2008 and it was quite decent for my one room.  Well insulated, thick windows, etc.  Never mold, reasonable energy bill, etc.  Close the window shut out noise from outside.  Then, I moved to a 3 room built in 2011 which was newer.  garbage building.  Every noise went through.  Neighbors air con units went through the wall like a train engine and every little noise went through the building.  No insulation or sound proofing.  I even had to turn on the heat a couple evenings in October when I never had to in other buildings due to insulation. 

Well built building quality is more important than age.  Check for small things, level flooring, smooth edges on wall, fawcetts, etc.  Also, check the hallway going into the building.  If it's very spartan and not fancy, then other things in the building may have been cut or avoided too.  If the villa has a nice hallway and attention to detail there and in the apartment itself, it may be a better place to live.  Also turn on the air con to see what the noise is like.  Open and close the windows to check the noise from the outside.  Keep an eye out for any Marts or large convenience stores having refrigeration machines outside making a constant hum.  Walk around the neighborhood. 

A lot of times, if the place is too cheap for your area, deposit or rent or whatever, there's a reason for it and be wary. 

Sorry,it sounds like your asshole building owner built it cheaply and cut corners and doesn't give a $h!t.  Move when you can. 

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Near Busan
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2019, 01:30:02 pm »
I've recently found myself in quite the situation at my school. Our school just went down from two native teachers to one. So after the second teacher left they decided to move me into his apartment as I was experiencing some water damage in my own. I warned them that I don't think it would be okay because I am really allergic to cats and the previous tenant housed 4. But they decided to move me anyway. Sure enough, after moving in, the cat hair and dander were just too much and I found myself breaking out in rashes and now my health is really poor  (I have asthma). Also found a hornets nest on the wall in the apartment and there was a lovely little home of cockroaches under the sink.

I have showed the schools the pictures of my rashes and of the cockroaches and cat hair. i have now gone to the hospital and went through many (extremely expensive) tests to show my school that the apartment is making me sick. The doctor wrote me a certificate recommending that I change apartments. I will give my school the certificate tomorrow.

Today, I found out that the school wants me to find my own housing and they will just give me the 400,000 won a month allowance. They will not give me key money, and I am not able to afford key money in this city. Also, they will not be able to provide me with the 400,000 won allowance until May because they don't have the money. NOT TO MENTION, they forgot to take my pension money out of my paycheck for the ENTIRE year and now they are taking it out of two months worth of paychecks. So even if I did find an apartment without key money, I would not be able to afford rent at my new place for the month of April.

I have talked to everyone. I am still waiting to hear from some people as the problem is still pretty recent. HELP!!! WHAT SHOULD I DO?!?!?!?!?!? I have couch surfed for long enough! My school did not own my previous apartment or the other native teacher's, they both belonged to other schools. Shouldn't they be able to apply for key money for me???

I don't have asthma.  But, I do have allergies to dust, cats, and changing seasons mid to late November and mid to late March.  (I close the windows religiously the last 2 to 3 weeks of November and the last 2 to 3 weeks of March.)  I can pat a cat and play with it for a bit and be fine.  But tons of fur and hairballs everywhere not great.  Dust is my real enemy.  I get stuffed up bad and plugged throat.  Annoying.  So, I dust often. 

One thing that helps is getting a bucket of hot soapy water with pine sol.  I pour on my floors and move furniture around.  I mop all over.  Then rinse mop out in my sink.  (Surprising black and brown water when ringing out by hand.)  Then rinsed off wet mop, I mop it again a couple of times with just a little water and no soap.  A big job that I do a couple of times a year.  I also wash the curtains a couple of times a year in the washing machine.  Wash bedding weekly.  This gets rid of dust other cleaning methods don't always get. 

Once every two weeks or so, I use the swiffer wet mop to clean all the floors in my place and move things around.  It is surprising how much dust builds up here, especially if you open the windows.  It will help you, but the pine sol smell may be strong for a day or two.  but will clean a lot of this garbage up more than sweeping or vacuuming will. 

Those Costco wipes are good for wiping counters, table tops, etc for dust.  Sometimes a quick dry wipe of the floor around your bed sleeping area too.  Lotte Mart has Clorox wipes which will work well too.  It will help a lot.  If the Pine Sol smell bothers your allergies too, stay in a hotel for a night or two.  I am in good health for the most part except these minor issues.  Thankfully no asthma.  But allergies in these two areas slightly are still annoying and this helps me a lot. 

As a side note if you keep a small rug or carpet, put that in the washing machine and hang dry every couple of weeks.

Now, as for the school payment, a 400,000 won rental allowance is standard EPIK stuff.  If the school signed a one year lease, they prob have their money tied up in that.  Schools rarely give deposit or key money.  Sometimes, if you get your own place, they may make you furnish it.  They may let you keep what you want.  It depends on how long you plan to stay in Korea.  A villa will usually supply an air con, washing machine, and a small or large fridge.  Seoul and Gyeong gi has more expensive prices.  The rest of the country has more reasonable prices and you can even get a reasonable deal on renovated high rise apartments that were renovated.  Cheap monthly rent with a reasonable deposit.  (Many folks want to move to new apartments and new areas.)  But apartments and 3 room villas will require you to supply your own fridge and washing machine.  Often your own air con too.  Pros and cons.  But space is nice. 

Jikbang 직방 and Daebang 대방 apps and or website on the computer will let you search for places depending on how good your computers are.  If some realtors (부동산 or 중인개서) try to say some places are not available or some Koreans don't want to rent to you walk out and find another one.  Otherwise, they'll try to get you into taking a crap place.  Everything I speak is based on my own experiences.  Trust me.  Use the apps to get an idea of costs in your area.

If getting an apartment and buying your own appliances, I found good quality items at junja land better than high mart.  Right time of year sales can be had too.  Stay away from Daewoo anything.  Bought a fridge and it is irritatingly loud.  I had to store it in my spare bedroom it was annoying.  But my Carrier 11 pyeong air con with inverter was more quiet than any other air con and saved me a lot of my bill.  I am getting ahead of myself though. 

Get a teacher to go with you, but have a backbone in negotiating and be prepared to walk.  Don't accept something as ok if not ok.  Your coteacher may be timid and you may have to push through them.  But do what you gotta do. 

Give a good deep cleaning and dusting for now.  (Wear a mask if necessary.)  Stay elsewhere for a day or two if necessary if cleaning chemicals bother you.  Come back to cleanliness later.  Get a deep cleaning other things won't get.  This will help.  In the meantime save money till next spring.  Eye villas or apartments if necessary in the meantime.  Try to figure out what is good and what isn't.  Do your research now.  Good luck,

« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2019, 02:45:15 pm »
You do realize this thread is 6 and a half years old, right? It was resurrected by a scam artist posing as a concerned waygookin

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2019, 06:19:37 pm »
You do realize this thread is 6 and a half years old, right? It was resurrected by a scam artist posing as a concerned waygookin

As long as he doesn’t mention Spam k o r s h a r e its fine. 

:/

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Near Busan
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2019, 10:34:39 am »

Well, that's a pickle and a kick in the....

« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2019, 01:57:56 pm »

Around the same time DeMartino was being moderated if memory serves correctly.   :wink:
Who is here in 2019?

« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2019, 02:14:49 pm »

Around the same time DeMartino was being moderated if memory serves correctly.   :wink:

About the same time as Jacques Chirac's death too  :undecided:

Par chance?

Je ne pense pas, mes frites!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 02:17:06 pm by Ronnie Omelettes »