Read 7002 times

• behrensk
  • Adventurer

• March 02, 2012, 02:04:53 pm
    • Chuncheon, Gangwon-do
I'm allergic to my apartment and my school is NOT helping!!!
« on: April 01, 2013, 05:57:54 pm »
I've recently found myself in quite the situation at my school. Our school just went down from two native teachers to one. So after the second teacher left they decided to move me into his apartment as I was experiencing some water damage in my own. I warned them that I don't think it would be okay because I am really allergic to cats and the previous tenant housed 4. But they decided to move me anyway. Sure enough, after moving in, the cat hair and dander were just too much and I found myself breaking out in rashes and now my health is really poor  (I have asthma). Also found a hornets nest on the wall in the apartment and there was a lovely little home of cockroaches under the sink.

I have showed the schools the pictures of my rashes and of the cockroaches and cat hair. i have now gone to the hospital and went through many (extremely expensive) tests to show my school that the apartment is making me sick. The doctor wrote me a certificate recommending that I change apartments. I will give my school the certificate tomorrow.

Today, I found out that the school wants me to find my own housing and they will just give me the 400,000 won a month allowance. They will not give me key money, and I am not able to afford key money in this city. Also, they will not be able to provide me with the 400,000 won allowance until May because they don't have the money. NOT TO MENTION, they forgot to take my pension money out of my paycheck for the ENTIRE year and now they are taking it out of two months worth of paychecks. So even if I did find an apartment without key money, I would not be able to afford rent at my new place for the month of April.

I have talked to everyone. I am still waiting to hear from some people as the problem is still pretty recent. HELP!!! WHAT SHOULD I DO?!?!?!?!?!? I have couch surfed for long enough! My school did not own my previous apartment or the other native teacher's, they both belonged to other schools. Shouldn't they be able to apply for key money for me???

• Craash
  • Veteran

• April 19, 2011, 07:06:22 pm
    • Yeoncheon-gun
    more
Re: I'm allergic to my apartment and my school is NOT helping!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 06:15:51 pm »
what city is it?

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 06:37:02 pm »
Not to be an ass, just curious...how bad is the cat hair that a good deep clean won't deal with it? Also the hornets nest and cockroach may be fixable as well?

What your school has said sounds legit, you can't just move out and have them have the money immediately for you, no matter how bad your situation is, a month (i.e. one pay cycle) doesn't seem so crazy from a business perspective. It is possible, but their offer doesn't seem unreasonable (considering they might be footing some fines for breaking the lease) Going by standard contracts, it seems to stand by most contracts, the school will offer housing OR housing allowance.

In regards to the key money allowance: they have no obligation to give you key money if they give you the allowance

I guess, talk to your district/city supervisor/whoever and see if they can help talk to your school with you
I'm loving iHerb. Check out http://www.iherb.com/ and enter my Rewards Code HLC923 to receive up to $10.00 off your first purchase

• cdwyer
  • Veteran

• December 17, 2010, 01:39:21 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 07:13:09 pm »
As I do not know how to solve your problem, I'm giving this a 'bump' in hopes someone on here will be able to help. 

I do have some thoughts though:
Where do you live?
There are places where you can just pay rent and no key money.  How about looking into something like that?  Visit local real estate agencies and ask. 

I wish you the best of luck.  I find this absolutely appalling.   :sad:

• Grimne_Lothos
  • Expert Waygook

• December 28, 2011, 12:56:27 pm
    • Buyeo, south korea
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 07:30:34 pm »
School is acting reasonably.  You would be better served focusing your efforts on solving this problem yourself rather than trying involve people at your school or the district.

• Harpoinseoul
  • Expert Waygook

• March 23, 2011, 06:49:03 pm
    • Coquitlam, BC
    more
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 08:22:15 pm »
Wow! A housing allowance! How I wish I could get part of my housing paid for. It sure would be nice!

Seriously, you might want to consider looking into a homestay and live with a Korean family until you have a bit saved up. Wishing you the best!!
Skype Video Counselor in Coquitlam, BC

Make the best use of what's in your power; take the rest as it comes.

The thing that upsets people is not what happens; but what they think it means.

Epictetus (55 - 135 C.E.)

Inter-faith spiritual counselor
http://www.harpo.ca

• behrensk
  • Adventurer

• Chuncheon, Gangwon-do
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 08:32:43 pm »
I am solving the problem by looking for my own place. But I would like the school to give me the monthly allowance in april but because of crazy circumstances they cannot afford it. Just hurt that they moved me when I told them about my allergy. My allergy is quite severe so a good clean didnt do the trick. I understand that Im being crazy. And please no need to worry about being an ass I need good, honest advice. I talked to the district/city supervisors. I live in chuncheon and I hope to find a place maybe near the university area that is clean :)

• ejdoli
  • Newgookin

• April 01, 2013, 08:25:26 pm
    • china
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 08:34:55 pm »
A home stay while teaching? That's nuts. Who would do that...  :rolleyes:

• behrensk
  • Adventurer

• Chuncheon, Gangwon-do
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 09:07:30 pm »
Yes I have been really good at documenting things. I just started my second contract in February. I am currently in a home stay with my boyfriends family  :huh: I plan to stay in Korea for a few more years so starting a contract at a new place shouldnt be a big problem.

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2013, 09:28:31 pm »
you should get a portable air purifier, those can help with the dander.

also, if you haven't already you can try flipping the mattress on the bed over, the previous occupier most likely let the cats sleep on the bed.

wiping down all the hard furniture and the walls/wallpaper with a bleach and water solution may also help get rid of the dander (not entirely sure though). just make sure you test out the solution on an inconspicuous area before doing all the walls/wallpaper, otherwise the school may hold you responsible for the damage and make you pay to have the wallpaper replaced.

i would also clean or possibly even replace the blinds or curtains, there is most likely dander stuck all over those as well.

• jujubelle
  • Adventurer

• March 16, 2010, 09:49:53 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2013, 08:09:30 am »
Yeah, I was in a similar situation  year ago. I couldn't stand the poo hole and asked my school several times. They were finally able to break the lease somehow. I had to look for the apartment myself. Luckily, I had the best co-teachers. They helped with the scouting and signing of the contract. (You'll need the help of a Korean with communicating with a real estate agent.) All was well, but found out that I had to pay the key money of 5 million. A real estate agent fee of about 250k and a delivery fee of about 300k. So, relocating might just be a costly move. I know you're desperate at the moment but think of other possible options. All the best!! :smiley:
"Don't follow where the path may lead...go where there is no path and leave a trail." Author Unknown

• Harpoinseoul
  • Expert Waygook

• March 23, 2011, 06:49:03 pm
    • Coquitlam, BC
    more
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2013, 08:10:24 am »
(BTW, my point about housing allowance/housing was simply to point out that it isn't something that one should take for granted. There is nothing free about housing. Rather, it is a part of your contract. You may lose it one day, so cherish it today.

BTW, It is the season Yellow Dust, so purchasing an air-purifier isn't a bad idea. Best of luck to you!
Skype Video Counselor in Coquitlam, BC

Make the best use of what's in your power; take the rest as it comes.

The thing that upsets people is not what happens; but what they think it means.

Epictetus (55 - 135 C.E.)

Inter-faith spiritual counselor
http://www.harpo.ca

• newb
  • Newgookin

• November 20, 2012, 10:38:27 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2013, 08:13:31 am »
Actually, i think you're allergic to korea.   :P
HEY CAN YOU FILL THE OIL AND CHECK THE GAS PLEASE!!!!

• misskris
  • Expert Waygook

• October 08, 2010, 02:46:41 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2013, 08:36:38 am »
If you don't have any other luck, its possible to hire someone to do house cleaning for you for as little as 10,000 won an hour.  You could have that whole place ridiculously spic and span for 80,000... probably cleaner than youwould ever get it yourself.

Also, you could look into renting a room.  A lot of people rent out the extra bedrooms of their apartments particularly in Itaewon and Haebangchon area. The apartments there are usually western style with 2 or 3 bedrooms, kitchen and living room.  You probably wouldn't have to put down any key money.  May be your best bet :)

• behrensk
  • Adventurer

• Chuncheon, Gangwon-do
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2013, 09:48:35 am »
For the record, the apartment has been CLEANED. And I mean, really cleaned. Yet I still am so sick. My health is really poor and my asthma just can't take the dander that I can't find. Not to mention, the place is full of cat pee everywhere. It smells and it's on the walls and in the floor. Honestly the only thing I can do is move. But because the situation was my school's fault they will help me move my furniture. I just need to find a small one room with really low key money.

• misskris
  • Expert Waygook

• October 08, 2010, 02:46:41 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2013, 10:14:54 am »
You will likely need a minimum of 5 million won for key money. 

Places for less may be available, but I think they will be hard to come by.  (In Seoul, anyway)

Goodluck!

• kiwityke
  • Super Waygook

• October 20, 2011, 07:51:05 am
    • Gimpo, South Korea
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2013, 11:08:38 am »
I had to sort my own apartment out, I refused to live in the small town my school is located in. I managed to get an apartment with no Key money (they do exist) only problem is you have to pay more in rent.

Also if the school is providing the housing allowance they don't have to provide any furniture either, so I also had to buy all of that too.

• Nivea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 02, 2011, 11:23:30 pm
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2013, 11:25:34 am »
For the record, the apartment has been CLEANED. And I mean, really cleaned. Yet I still am so sick. My health is really poor and my asthma just can't take the dander that I can't find. Not to mention, the place is full of cat pee everywhere. It smells and it's on the walls and in the floor. Honestly the only thing I can do is move. But because the situation was my school's fault they will help me move my furniture. I just need to find a small one room with really low key money.

How will you know that the owner of the place you move into didn't have an animal in the past?

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2013, 11:30:55 am »
If they put up new wallpaper. Its not because they love you and want the place to look clean. Check under the wallpaper your gonna find black mold galore. Or wait till summer comes and it will rise to the surface and fling its spores through out your place.

T.C.

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2013, 11:41:13 am »
hey go get the  humidifier that has an elephant and a charcoal on the cover.
it the best and buy and use lots of it ur room will be free in just 2 days.
and u will see the result.
contact me if u need more details