Read 1689 times

• Canonite
  • Expert Waygook

• March 09, 2011, 11:50:19 pm
    • ROK
    more
Hello all,

When I'm finished with my contract, I'll be going travelling for a few months and will need to mail a lot of my belongings home. It'll mostly be clothing and other worthless crap, however, I'm also going to need to mail about $4,000 worth of camera gear back home.

All of the gear was bought BEFORE I came to Korea and has had all of the appropriate taxes, duties, etc paid on it. How can I ship this stuff home without having to pay duties on it again? ...is there some sort of exemption for simply "moving home"?

Thanks,
T
*click*

• Craash
  • Veteran

• April 19, 2011, 07:06:22 pm
    • Yeoncheon-gun
    more
whenever I send stuff home I use the same name as the sender and receiver.

also - always mark "Gift" - there is NO taxes, duties, or fees on gifts.

In the past with the Post Office in Australia i just needed to label it as Personal Effects, which apparently falls into a different category, as it's not merchandise and it's not 'gift' (which would be suspect with 4 000 bucks of camera equipment)
I'm loving iHerb. Check out http://www.iherb.com/ and enter my Rewards Code HLC923 to receive up to $10.00 off your first purchase

• tesoljon
  • Expert Waygook

• March 13, 2012, 12:16:12 pm
    • Ansan-si
It also helps to label things as "USED". Duties are usually assigned to new, unused products.

• ganstar
  • Veteran

• November 06, 2009, 02:16:52 pm
    • busan
I just did it. I mailed a laptop,camcorder,dslr,external hdd and electronic dictionary. I listed it as used whatever. No problems. I sent this more valuable stuff airmail too, rather than surface.

• oldtactics
  • Waygookin

• August 27, 2009, 06:53:56 am
    • Gimhae as of May 1st 2013
I'll echo everyone else. Shipped 4 boxes home last year, full of clothes, books and tech stuff, marked everything Used and had no problems. I recommend the slow boat for the clothes and other crap, and air mail with insurance for the camera stuff.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 08:52:48 pm by oldtactics »

• Canonite
  • Expert Waygook

• March 09, 2011, 11:50:19 pm
    • ROK
    more
Thanks, everyone.

I checked with the Canadian Border Services Agency and they told me this (even though I told them that I'd be returning 3 or so months after the packages would get to Canada):

To be able to enjoy duty/import/etc-free status:
- I have to be there in person to sign for it.
- If I'm not there upon the package's arrival, I have 40 days to claim it.

Obviously this isn't going to work for me.

So, I'm going to mail them to myself as a gift...so much for trying to do the right thing and doing things by the rules...
*click*