Read 2931 times

A couple of months ago I moved into an apartment that has Pay TV supplied.  I have been extremely impressed by the current events service provided by CNN. 

I don't watch this program in my home country and I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of their interviews and stories.  Back home the current events programs provided by the private broadcasters are generally always awful.

News on the internet is OK, but one doesn't always get the quality in-depth interviews that CNN provides.

Anderson Cooper is probably my favourite presenter.   Does anyone else enjoy or appreciate this service as much as I do?

"The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."  Steve Jobs

Re: Current events service. Does anyone else enjoy CNN as much as I do?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 02:22:32 pm »
I enjoy CNN here.   Don't forget that here we are watching CNN international which has different programming than back in the states. 
I'd rather spend 1000 winters in Korea than have to deal through one more summer.
~Unknown waygook.

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 02:48:52 pm »
Yes I totally agree, I really love their unbiased opinions and I find their reporters factual, interesting and relevent.  Especially Piers Morgan.  For example, I watched Piers Morgan interview 4 female billionaires, wonderful! I checked BBC and they had some boring rubbish about the pope and the economy.

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 07:24:26 pm »
I like certain parts of CNN like their Sports news programs and of course Piers Morgan and Anderson Cooper. 

What I don't like is that CNN is like the proverbial media ambulance chaser.  Whenever there is a new natural disaster, a shooting of some kind, or a political coup going on, CNN rushes in and sets up shop until the story is over, and then it often gets to be a too much of the same hourly updates, etc.

• SpaceRook
  • Expert Waygook

• November 18, 2010, 11:54:36 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 05:10:39 am »
CNN International is OK.  It seems to be made by and for grownups.  CNN in America, though, is an embarassment.  It's like E! merged with TMZ, with occasional 'hard news' in the form of Wolf Blitzer reading some B list politician's Twitter feed.

• Chadwickhhs
  • Expert Waygook

• February 28, 2012, 07:04:14 pm
    more
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 11:49:21 am »
I literally go to CNN everyday to fuel my hate-reading. CNN is now blatantly crap journalism with misleading headlines, poor research and terrible writers.

The comments are even more of a cesspool.

CNN international tends to be slightly more professional but suffers from the same problems with lesser degrees of severity and an inability to report on things with any sense of detail or organization.

I literally read BBC, NBCnews, CNN and watch Daily Show and Colbert. If you think that's too much, consider that I'm a Comm:broadcast & law major. I cross reference stories and authors to see what sort of bias I'm looking at and if the article has any merit.

CNN seems to think throwing liberals and conservatives in the opinion section balances the paper out instead of just giving space to stupid, unworthy pieces.

NBC says feelgood things for liberals while ignoring pragmatism and often failing to be critical of the Democratic party (which is realistically Republican lite).

BBC is has less bias in global news but I can't be bothered with what's going on in the UK. Sorry britfriends, no offense (you're cool people but your country is kind of boring and pretty much just tows the line).

Daily Show and Colbert seem to make more shots at the Dems than NBC. People give them crap for being progressive but at least they're not loyal to the party. They tend to make small mistakes on off hand jokes but actually research things very very well when they are pointing out hypocrisy. Plus they're more fun to watch.

• Jeff619
  • Expert Waygook

• May 26, 2011, 08:12:52 am
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 10:58:01 am »
I use KT Skylife.  I actually have both the international and American versions of CNN.  I'm happy with both as they are really the only choice for English-speaking news here.  The American version is exactly like back home while the international version has more specials and documentaries.  I also get BBC but I've just never really cared for their programming.

I stayed in Jeonju last fall and the motel had Fox news.  As much as I disagree with their tactics and views, I find O'Reilly and Hannity to be really entertaining.  I wish KT would offer it...

• SamIAint
  • Adventurer

• February 08, 2013, 07:40:13 pm
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 04:43:30 pm »
"Anderson Cooper is probably my favourite presenter"

You're obviously not American.  Most can't stand him.

• Chadwickhhs
  • Expert Waygook

• February 28, 2012, 07:04:14 pm
    more
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2013, 07:28:06 pm »

Oh come on now. He's a good guy. They have him doing a bunch of stupid fluff pieces pretty often but don't take it out on him.

As for actual reporting I tend to actually follow Fareed Zakaria.

• dmw
  • Veteran

• March 08, 2011, 12:55:20 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2013, 12:05:08 am »
Piers Morgan ... hmmm... banished from UK cos he is shite... guess u maybe like his accent, cos there's not much else going for him.

• Jrong
  • The Legend

• April 28, 2011, 12:52:32 pm
    more
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2013, 05:48:43 am »
Chad x 2.

On top of that I also find BBC to be very capitalist-biased.

Colbert is the funniest person who really gets at the core of a lot of the issues. Jon Stewart's OK but not as funny.

I usually just watch Colbert and Bill Maher. Maher's my fav. He's not nearly as funny as Colbert, but I like his outlook. He's very, very aware of how his beliefs connect to his actions and extremely pragmatic. He has no problem acknowledging that he does 'evil things' in order to accomplish a perceived just ends. Most ppl have a hard time being honest about their connection to evil.  :evil:
"When in doubt...ask Troglodyte" ~0mnslnd

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2013, 07:19:22 am »

Oh come on now. He's a good guy. They have him doing a bunch of stupid fluff pieces pretty often but don't take it out on him.

As for actual reporting I tend to actually follow Fareed Zakaria.

Fareed used to be good on PBS, now he just copies his stories.   
Investigative journalism is dead, news nowadays is censored and mostly propaganda.  Yeah I said the P word.  Al-jazeera has better in depth coverage of issues than CNN.

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2013, 01:55:11 pm »
Let's pause for a moment to appreciate the sheer brilliance of Richard Quest. That man is brilliant!

He is possibly the best journalist ever in recorded history. He will be remembered and we should have statues put up in his honor. The man is truly brilliant!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 01:57:08 pm by deweybeach »

• Jrong
  • The Legend

• April 28, 2011, 12:52:32 pm
    more
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2013, 09:53:50 am »
Al-jazeera has better in depth coverage of issues than CNN.
Yes. But Al-jazeera is extremely emotionally-manipulative. It doesn't report. It tells stories (which I love). But it uses manipulative tactics that are so obvious, it's hard to take them seriously. Even if I like a lot of the views that they promote.
"When in doubt...ask Troglodyte" ~0mnslnd