Read 2928 times

• CBL3
  • Explorer

• May 08, 2013, 01:33:34 am
    • Boston, MA
centipedes EW
« on: August 29, 2013, 01:13:59 am »
Ok. So I can't sleep. This morning, I was getting ready, and saw two centipedes crawl under my dresser. EW. I came back home, freaked out for a bit, then vacuumed under my bed, tv, desk, and fridge. First question: if they were in there, wouldn't they come out due to the movements and light exposure? Then I saw one on the wall behind the dresser but I don't know where it is, and there's one remaining, I think.....

I'm not sure what to do. Should I leave the doors and windows completely shut? The thing is, it's hot and I don't know if the humidity will help them grow. I don't know if I should keep my bathroom window and door, as well, knowing Korean bathrooms. And will they crawl on me/on my bed? AGH HELP PLEASE I have an early class tomorrow!!!

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
Re: centipedes EW
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 04:42:42 am »
Good grief, how old are you? Centipedes..... are you living in the 21st century? Google it, they are HARMLESS.

Please never ever go to South Africa, you will die within 30 seconds what with rain spiders, black widows and all the bugs you can think of in one country.
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 07:26:01 am »
Good grief, how old are you? Centipedes..... are you living in the 21st century? Google it, they are HARMLESS.

What about those poisonous ones here in Korea? I think they're called "chinae" or something like that. They're black with orange legs and can grow to be pretty big. If you get bitten by one the area around the bite will swell a great deal and you'll have to go to the hospital. I think there was a thread about this a few months ago where someone was bitten by a chinae hidden in his shoe.

OP, I had the exact same worry last year when I lived in a rural apartment. Whether the centipedes in your apartment are chinae or not, you can try to prevent them by keeping your apartment very clean and not having scraps of food lying around the kitchen and in the drain (apparently they're drawn to meat, so I would make sure to quickly remove any scraps or wrappers that once contained meat products).  Also, spraying your apartment with some spray in the mornings before you leave and ventilating your apartment all day will help kill any baby ones you might have. Fortunately I never saw them, but I've had neighbours who did and this is what they recommended to me.

Hopefully this info can help.

• ukukuk
  • Super Waygook

• June 26, 2013, 12:09:23 pm
    • nippon
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 07:30:38 am »
Ok. So I can't sleep. This morning, I was getting ready, and saw two centipedes crawl under my dresser. EW. I came back home, freaked out for a bit, then vacuumed under my bed, tv, desk, and fridge. First question: if they were in there, wouldn't they come out due to the movements and light exposure? Then I saw one on the wall behind the dresser but I don't know where it is, and there's one remaining, I think.....

I'm not sure what to do. Should I leave the doors and windows completely shut? The thing is, it's hot and I don't know if the humidity will help them grow. I don't know if I should keep my bathroom window and door, as well, knowing Korean bathrooms. And will they crawl on me/on my bed? AGH HELP PLEASE I have an early class tomorrow!!!

Was it this?

http://thejapans.wordpress.com/2011/07/02/mukade-the-terrible-japanese-centipede

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 07:38:00 am »
I also saw a centipede crawl on the wall behind my bed last night.  :shocked: This is what it looked like.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-XLkXOxiIQR4/TiWqTmdc2VI/AAAAAAAAEmc/JBVKEreOraQ/s320/housecentipede.jpg

I was able to kill it. But it worries me now, too. I'm going to clean everything tonight.

• iamrhart
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 16, 2011, 01:20:16 pm
    • XXXXXXXXxx
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 07:50:22 am »
The second picture posted here, by abcd*  is a house centipede. their bites are EXTREMELY RARE (now i bet i get bitten tonight? hahaha). They are everywhere, even in the USA. ^.^ i have a story about that.  As for what to do, make sure your house is dry. They love moist and cool places. You cannot stop them from coming into your house, unless you systematically go through all entrances. even drains. the most 'common' entrance has been sink and bathtub drains.

as for the 'story'. i was in an apartment, and one night i was laying down sleeping. i felt something cold on my face, so i thought "spider" and brushed it aside. next thing i hear is scraping against the wall. NOT like a spider. so i turn on the light and look around. nothing. i get back into bed, after calming down. I hear the scraping again. So i investigate my bed. i see lots of little legs twitching. so i move my bed (futon mattress on the floor) and there, with some legs missing, is a "house centipede". i caught it and put it in a jar. Next morning it was shriveled up and dead.  i researched it. they hunt things like roaches and spiders. and IF you are unlucky enough to get bit (their mouths are so small for human biting) it wont do much. extreme cases led to swelling. There are plenty of places to find information about House Centipedes.

Yes, i agree they are intimidating. especially since they like to come out in the dark.
if you see one, either throw it away or kill it. but chances are another one will come. these guys are so numerous.

good luck.
You only live today once. You wont get a second chance. You wont get to live it twice. So make the most of it.

A sane man in an insane world will appear insane.

• Ley_Druid
  • The Legend

• February 17, 2011, 08:36:33 am
    • Shinan-Gun, Jeollanam-Do, South Korea
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 07:59:25 am »

Please never ever go to South Africa, you will die within 30 seconds what with rain spiders, black widows and all the bugs you can think of in one country.

The one I was bitten by a couple months ago was technically a poisonus one, but because the poison didn't work fast enough, I was ok. It hurt like hell though for a day. It's no fun being bit by one. Way way way worse than a hornet sting. I think I'd prefer 20 hornet stings to a centipede bite again. And yea, I have been stung by hornets.

• ukukuk
  • Super Waygook

• June 26, 2013, 12:09:23 pm
    • nippon
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 07:59:37 am »

Harmless but gross if you ask me. I would squeal like a small child if one of those was up on me.

Might be a matter of getting used to them though

By the way we had a few roaches in ours a few weeks ago and we got these little traps that look like houses - they worked too. You build them like a little house and there is glue on the bottom so the bug gets stuck. Caught two roaches by sticking a couple under the bed/next to the washing machine

• 한소로
  • Expert Waygook

• March 20, 2012, 07:50:46 am
    more
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 08:09:12 am »
When I first moved to my current apartment I saw those things everywhere. They are fast little buggers.

First things first: buy bug spray. Don't try to kill it by stomping on it or throwing something on it, they are too fast. One shot of spray and they are down for the count.

Secondly, spray all your entrances, windows and drains.

Thirdly, clean your room. Seriously. Don't give them places to hide.

Fourthly, clean your food waste up constantly. If you don't have time to do the dishes, make sure you rinse all the food off of them at least, and clean your food traps constantly.

I haven't seen any since that. (Though to be fair, I was later invaded by like a hundred caterpillars. But that was more hilarious than anything else)

• iamrhart
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 16, 2011, 01:20:16 pm
    • XXXXXXXXxx
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 08:14:32 am »
Here, you might find this site to be helpful. Especially if you see more bugs you dont know about.

http://www.whatsthatbug.com/page/2/?s=centipede
You only live today once. You wont get a second chance. You wont get to live it twice. So make the most of it.

A sane man in an insane world will appear insane.

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 08:31:56 am »
crap why did i read this thread... feeling so paranoid right now

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2013, 11:39:37 am »
I'll just leave this here...
http://youtu.be/ooFSFR2s7Ig?t=1m17s

• Rambi
  • Waygookin

• May 20, 2013, 09:40:02 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 10:12:12 pm »
One of my earliest memories is me, at age four, beating a centipede repeatedly with a shoe while screaming "Daddy, Daddy!!!"  By the time my father arrived, the centipede was dead.  Basically, when you see a centipede in your house, just beat it repeatedly with something hard.  As soon as you've crushed a bit more than half of the segments, it's dead. 

As far as prevention is concerned, get some good bug spray.  You can pick it up at Home Plus, Emart, or any pharmacy.  Spray down the walls and corners of your apartment on a regular basis (usually monthly, but it depends on the spray), and you should be good.  If you see centipedes moving around slowly, beat them to death and then spray again. 

• buddy_eh
  • Waygookin

• October 11, 2012, 08:00:15 am
    • Korea
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2013, 07:54:39 am »
I leave centipedes in my apartment be. They are harmless to humans and they actually eat other insect pests... These things are as poisonous as your usual skinny apartment spiders...