Read 3208 times

• Row
  • Veteran

• November 14, 2011, 05:27:04 pm
E2 visa but no job
« on: March 12, 2013, 05:13:10 pm »
This is a strange situation, but I accepted a job from a school, got my visa and then just before they were supposed to get me my ticket...nothing. They said something about a problem booking a flight, and then nothing. It has been a few days since then and I've heard nothing from the school or recruiter.

What options if any do I have in this case? Can I transfer my E2 to work with another school, or is it effectively useless?

• jupinkorea
  • Super Waygook

• June 04, 2012, 05:25:32 pm
    • Seoul
    more
Re: E2 visa but no job
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 05:29:26 pm »
You don't necessarily have the visa you have the stuff ready to get a visa, as the stamp in your passport pretty much says why you are coming to Korea, however you have up to 90 days to go to immigration with your employer etc and a nice fresh health check to obtain your ARC/Visa.  Have you got your visa sticker in your passport? or did you just have an insurance number?
"North Korea everything sunny all the time, always good time, beach party" Johnny Mountain

• Row
  • Veteran

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 05:31:58 pm »
I have the actual E2 visa sticker in my passport

• jupinkorea
  • Super Waygook

• Seoul
    more
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 05:35:31 pm »
I have the actual E2 visa sticker in my passport

Try talking to the school again, Koreans do need reminding sometimes.

The sticker still doesn't mean you have an E2 just means that the paper work is done etc, you still need to visit immigration before 90 days is up upon entering the country with your employer to get the gubbins.
"North Korea everything sunny all the time, always good time, beach party" Johnny Mountain

• skippy
  • Expert Waygook

• January 12, 2011, 04:08:17 pm
    • Daejeon
    more
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 07:58:17 pm »
if you are not yet in Korea and still waiting in home country then you have to wait for the visa to expire.  I think for most countries, it is 90 days.  For US citizens, you are out of luck for a year.   China might be the choice.  When it expires you can apply for another.  Sorry you will have to submit all new paperwork like CRC.

Hopefully the school has not left you in the lurch and will get you over soon.

It can not be transfered because it has not actually started.  The E2 does not really start until you get into Korea.
Please consider adding some info to your "Personal Text"  Like type of school, visa status, county of origin.  These little bits of info can help people help you.

• CDW
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 15, 2011, 01:22:09 pm
    • Banned
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 08:12:09 pm »
Look at your visa. What's the final entry date? After that date you can apply for another work visa. If you want to transfer your visa to a new employer you'd have to enter Korea and then obtain a letter of release from current employer. You can't do it from abroad.

• Row
  • Veteran

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 09:33:22 am »
Well acording to my recruiter the school is willing to make things right, and I have another job lined up, but I'm confused at how long the process will take.

Can I start working for the new school right away if the old one gives me a LOR, or do they first need to do all the initial health/immigration checks even though I have not and will not be working for them and then I can go to the new school?

I'm asking my recruiter for all this information as well, but they don't seem so concerned with the process which is worrying

• jupinkorea
  • Super Waygook

• Seoul
    more
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 10:05:08 am »
Well acording to my recruiter the school is willing to make things right, and I have another job lined up, but I'm confused at how long the process will take.

Can I start working for the new school right away if the old one gives me a LOR, or do they first need to do all the initial health/immigration checks even though I have not and will not be working for them and then I can go to the new school?

I'm asking my recruiter for all this information as well, but they don't seem so concerned with the process which is worrying

If you get a LOR from your current employer, you can change over to the new one, but you are still not in the country so you will have to get the health check etc and actually get your ARC from immigration to complete the process, if you are with a hogwon they may go with you to get this done.

Yeah recruiters ain't usually bothered, there are some good ones, but alot of them will give rubbish as they are just after money and a quick easy process for them.

• CDW
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Banned
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 10:42:34 am »

You need to do the health check in order to apply for an ARC (alien registration card). It sounds like you have to get an ARC before transferring your work visa to a new employer. There is a thread on Dave's about visa transfers-

"IF you have your ARC AND everyone is happy with the arrangements AND your employer is willing to make the trip to K-immi with you then yes, you can transfer BEFORE the 6 month mark.

"You still need all the other documentation to complete the transfer as well.
ARC, passport, new contract, new employers letter of guarantee (sponsorship form), new employers business registration (copy), application and fee."
http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewtopic.php?p=2600403
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 10:46:02 am by CDW »

• CDW
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Banned
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 11:17:08 am »
Another possibility might be to enter Korea, visit immigration with a letter of release and switch to a D-10 (looking for work) visa. Once you find a job you can switch back to an E-2 visa. Of course, you'd have to find a place to stay while you're looking for a job.

• jupinkorea
  • Super Waygook

• Seoul
    more
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 11:21:58 am »
Another possibility might be to enter Korea, visit immigration with a letter of release and switch to a D-10 (looking for work) visa. Once you find a job you can switch back to an E-2 visa. Of course, you'd have to find a place to stay while you're looking for a job.

They've only got the sticker in the passport, so they've still got part way to getting the actual E2/ARC.

• Row
  • Veteran

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2013, 12:51:19 am »
So my recruiter told me I can go and start with the new school now, and they will handle the health check/ARC card, then transfer the visa to the new school. Nowhere do they mention the old school, which I imagine needs to be involved.

This doesn't sound right, does it?

• jupinkorea
  • Super Waygook

• Seoul
    more
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2013, 09:49:17 am »
They've more than likely transferred the 'deeds' of who owns you in Korea  :laugh: to a new employer, which is possible.