Read 2601 times

• nawade
  • Newgookin

• February 27, 2011, 12:49:02 pm
    • Dangjin
You are now reading about your new Gym teacher!

Couldn't quite believe it really, just after my girlfriend and I signed on for our second year in Korea i was asked to become the schools gym teacher as well as do my normal English job.

Not that I mind, it means I have one less phonics lesson to drag through and instead get to play kickball, football and whatever other activities I can come up with...i'm thinking a field trip to screen golf would be perfect!! I could do with practicing my short game a bit more!

The classes are a maximum of 15 and I was wondering if anyone has been asked to do something similar, it's obviously not a permanent role. My job description hasn't changed it just means for one lesson a week, instead of doing normal English class we do some exercise...

I need some ideas for group games, or sports or activities that I can play, and what kind of equipment is best to ask the school to get...any help would be very much appreciated. I repeat, this is not a bad thing for me, i'm actually looking forward to it, so please don't start with the 'they shouldn't be making you do that...' PMA please!! :)

'Coach' Nick

• Tuts88
  • Explorer

• March 03, 2011, 08:52:24 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
Hey there,
Just read your post there about being the gym coach. Just wondering how's it going for you? Seen as you posted that message in March i presume that you have started coaching?
The reason I ask is that I will be doing a similar english lesson like this. Just coaching the students different sports but I will have no co-teacher with me.
What school level are you teaching at? I have elementary students so I plan on playing athletics,football,volleyball,kickball/baseball. It just depends what equipment i can get my hands on. My school doesn't have great facilities but plenty of outdoor space. For this reason i have to keep my games simple. Did you find any paticular sport / activity worked well?
It would be great if you could get back to me with any info. I also have to teach one lesson a week about sport so this will be theory based in the classroom. Did you do anything like this?

Thanks a million, chat to you soon.

• woosta
  • Explorer

• December 09, 2010, 08:04:13 am
    • Korea
I substitute taught for a gym teacher one time and he had me do a dodge pin game.

You need bowling pins which you probably don't have, or actually you might make do with some other thing that could be knocked over.

Anyway,  you have two teams on either side of a middle line and a bunch of kickball type balls and the kids try to knock the other teams pins over (which are lined up on an outside line) without going over the middle line.  Only rolling.  The other kids can catch the rolling balls but if they touch it and don't catch it they are out for 20 jumping jacks. 

I'm not sure if any of that makes much sense or if you have access to enough balls etc. but it was a pretty sweet game.

Of course kickball is always the baddest of all time in my opinion.

There could be some useful or adaptable stuff over here:  http://www.greatgroupgames.com/

• Helena S
  • Waygookin

• March 06, 2011, 10:09:37 pm
    • Seoul
Last year I was homeroom teacher in Thailand, meaning I had to teach 5 subjects, including PE. Being horrible at sports, I agonized over this, but managed to find some useful ideas on this website.  Things ended up being a lot of fun...most of the time! I can also send you more ideas and lesson plans, just send me a PM.

http://www.mrgym.com/

• Mezoti97
  • The Legend

• April 14, 2011, 03:02:50 pm
    • South Korea
Not me personally, but one of my former co-teachers at my old school recently transferred to another school, and I heard that, in addition to being her new school's English teacher, she is also in charge of running that school's inline-skating club. It surprised me, since she's not really very athletic and not 100% fit, either -- but apparently the vice-principal at her new school forced her to take on that role in addition to her regular teaching duties.