Read 1793 times

• aemann
  • Veteran

• March 01, 2011, 05:41:52 pm
    • Busan
English Grammar Words
« on: March 06, 2013, 03:14:13 pm »
I tend to use a lot of simple grammar vocabulary words in my classes. Things like noun, adjective, verb, vowel, etc. But a lot of my students didn't know these words in English, since they are not extremely commonly spoken words (and the co-teachers tend to just use the Korean word in their grammar classes). So, in my first class of the year, I taught the kids a bunch of the most common grammar words that I use in class.

Some of the higher-level kids knew most of these words (nobody has gotten syllable yet). But the kids in the lower-level classes already knew only a couple of the words.

I introduced these at the end of class, and I might have a little quiz in a few weeks. It was just a quick, five-minute "hey guys, learn these words" thing. I showed the Korean word and asked if any of the kids knew what it was in English. Then they copied the English down on the handout (and will hopefully study the handout).

These words are very useful when teaching pronunciation (especially vowel, consonant, syllable, and word).

If you don't want to spend class time going over this, I'd still recommend giving a translation for some of these grammar words when teaching, to make sure all your kids understand. These are words that language-learners don't tend to learn very early on. Usually only more advanced students will know these.

• aemann
  • Veteran

• March 01, 2011, 05:41:52 pm
    • Busan
Re: English Grammar Words
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 03:16:25 pm »
Just noticed that the handout got re-formatted when I changed it from .hwp. I made two columns so that I could cut the paper in half to reduce how much paper I use. Format the handout accordingly.

• wtoddm
  • Super Waygook

• November 21, 2011, 02:09:18 pm
    • Jinju, Gyeongsamnam-do South Korea
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 02:06:07 pm »
Thank you for the translations. I go nuts when my high schoolers still don't know what a verb is. . .

I'll try and create some sort of proper lesson plan to go with these in the coming week or two. Thanks again!
"Our doubts are traitors,
And makes us lose the good we oft might win,
By fearing to attempt." - Shakespeare, Measure for Measure

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 10:07:06 am »
Mad libs are a great way to practice. I've done it with my winter camp, but I'm sure it would work in a normal class.

Free on line mad libs:  http://www.itsamadlibsworld.com/

• Jimmer
  • Adventurer

• August 30, 2011, 02:11:25 pm
    • Gimcheon, Gyeongbuk
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 10:45:14 am »
I've been making a writing program for my kids and have created a series of worksheets that start with the chapter words (which you can look at as random words if you like) and later give them sentence writing pages.
The 1.2.3. in the corner of the page is the Korean for Subject, Verb, Object~ the order of English ~ to contrast the Korean structure that ends with verbs.
The other corner are the Korean words for the bits that I wrote across the top.

Enjoy!

~Jimmer