Read 4439 times

apartment, no furniture.
« on: March 02, 2011, 03:27:33 pm »
what do i do guys.  my school has provided housing yet there is no furniture.  I'm on my first day.

has this ever happened to you?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 03:29:10 pm by elprofesor »

• Maureen
  • Veteran

• October 27, 2010, 11:48:32 am
Re: apartment, no furniture.
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 03:32:32 pm »
Yes. it did. don't worry they get money from the gov. to get furniture for the apartment. it might take awhile to go and buy it if your co-teacher is really busy. this is the time to start sucking up!

• summerthyme
  • Featured Contributor

• July 10, 2010, 05:02:32 am
    • Waegwan, Chilgok, Gyeongbuk
    more
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 03:33:14 pm »
Yes.  The first night in my apartment I slept on the floor with just some blankets.  They got me my bed the first Saturday (about 2 days later), and my other furniture in about two weeks.

I work at a rural school, so I think they had to wait and shuffle some money around to be able to afford it.  They're not trying to be mean; you may have been a last minute placement for the school or something.
Please click "Report to moderator" for posts that show harassment, fighting, rudeness, or which otherwise go against waygook's general terms and conditions.  Thanks for your assistance!

• bmsteacher
  • Veteran

• May 25, 2010, 07:16:33 am
    • Kyeonggi-do, ROK
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 03:33:26 pm »
Yes, mine was empty when I moved in many years ago.  My GEPIK contract gave me 300 000 Won settlement allowance, which I promptly spent on dishes, plates, cups, etc.  My school later gave me a TV.  I had to buy a computer desk, sofa, etc., with my own money.  If you aren't working for a public school, then I'm afraid you might have to negotiate with your employer to provide the things you might need.  Good luck!

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 03:33:43 pm »
I didn't get furniture for at least a week, although they did provide a floor mat, blankets, and a pillow.

I love my school, we have a great relationship, and I'm willing to forgive them this mistake. Having a NET is not easy, especially if it's their first time.

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 03:34:25 pm »
Yes. it did. don't worry they get money from the gov. to get furniture for the apartment. it might take awhile to go and buy it if your co-teacher is really busy. this is the time to start sucking up!

how do you recommend i suck up to my co-teacher?

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 03:37:10 pm »
thanks guys so it is an on-going problem.

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 07:38:33 am »
At least all of you guys get the furniture after a week.
I don't have any in my apt. I don't even know when they are going to order for me.
My co-teacher said, she did not get the budget from providencial office.

I am not sure this is common to all or not.

• truongt
  • Veteran

• August 30, 2010, 06:51:00 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 07:57:59 am »
What program are you teaching through? If you are going through EPIK, the contract states that your school should provide you with bed, desk/table, chair, stove, washing machine, and air conditioner.

• korr
  • Expert Waygook

• July 16, 2009, 12:35:46 pm
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, 08:17:12 am »
As someone mentioned above, if you're in a rural school they may not have the money available until whatever government program you're with gives it to them. My school had to hold off on buying my furniture for a month. They weren't being mean, they just didn't have the budget for it.

Ask your school for clarification, but be polite at first and if you're with a program like GEPIK, don't go to the POE immediately. If they're actively refusing to buy you something that's in your contract, then I'd get more forceful.

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 03:27:22 pm »
well it's been 4 working days and still no sign of getting furniture for my house. and another thing is i haven't got health insurance either.  anyone know what's goin on?

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2011, 03:29:52 pm »
I didnt get insurance until after I got my ARC.

• suzettec
  • Veteran

• June 28, 2010, 03:20:45 pm
    • Nakseo, South Korea
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2011, 03:33:49 pm »
You have to get your ARC card first before you can get health insurance.  If you are working for a public school I would advise you to talk with your office manager to make sure what they are taking money out of you paycheck... pension, health insurance and taxes... yes taxes unless you are excempt.  If not they will hit you at the end of the year for the whole tax amount.

• jkang
  • Veteran

• October 21, 2010, 02:25:12 pm
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2011, 03:39:40 pm »
In SMOE, it is not required for the school to provide furniture. It states that employer "may" provide furniture, appliances (bed, microwave, TV... etc.) but its not required. Its not required. Our school just got a second NSET and the school gave her the 300K settlement allowance and she had to buy a bed and other stuff...

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2011, 07:31:13 am »
You have to get your ARC card first before you can get health insurance.  If you are working for a public school I would advise you to talk with your office manager to make sure what they are taking money out of you paycheck... pension, health insurance and taxes... yes taxes unless you are excempt.  If not they will hit you at the end of the year for the whole tax amount.

usually the school asks you for your checkbook and arc or they go get it with you.  my school doesn't care at all.  they're not even asking.

i also have an excellent record
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 07:33:57 am by elprofesor »

• GrenWhit
  • Veteran

• November 15, 2010, 02:19:55 pm
    • Gyeongsangnam-do
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2011, 01:27:51 pm »
Have you asked your school about these things?  I'm sure you have, but people do get on sometimes and gauge other NETs before actually mentioning to the school that something hasn't happened.  Most schools aren't going to do anything about your ARC card until things have settled down a little bit (think between 2 weeks in to  a month and a half).