Read 3967 times

• leahpj
  • Newgookin

• June 12, 2012, 10:55:27 am
    • ansan, south korea
My Hagwon is forcing me to move to another city.
« on: February 22, 2013, 08:04:02 pm »
I have worked with Avalon English for 9 months. I am a great teacher, and several parents have even specifically signed their children up requesting me as their teacher. Yesterday however, I was told that we are downsizing. This means one teacher is being "transferred" to work in the corporate office instead of teaching. This means they are being forced to move to a city which is an hour away. There are 8 foreign teachers at my Hagwon, but I am due to go home in only 3 months. So based solely on this, I was selected. I have the week to clear out my place and move.
What is extra upsetting about this situation, is that the exact week that I am being forced to move, my brother and sister-in -law are moving to the same city I have lived at thus far. We thought we were going to be living right next to each other.
The contract I signed was a teaching contract, but now I am suppose to be doing editing and creating curriculum. I now have a week to say goodbye to the kids who I grew to love.
I am also expected to pay fees to cancel my bills early.
Do I have any rights here? What do I do? I originally was extremely emotional, hyperventilated and fainted, and this screwed me over even more. Yes, I know that was not a good move (especially in korea). I was blindsided, and I am terribly emotional as it is.
Please give me any advice. thanks

Re: My Hagwon is forcing me to move to another city.
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 09:47:03 pm »
Editing and creating curriculum can be seen as a promotion, which I think would look better on a resume than teaching.  I think you don't have much leverage, so have a nice move.  We all have to leave or our students we love will all leave eventually, which often is the EFL teaching life.

• leahpj
  • Newgookin

• June 12, 2012, 10:55:27 am
    • ansan, south korea
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 12:00:52 pm »
yeah, I guess this is better than being fired.
My bosses knew that my brother is moving to be with me, but they still say that it just "makes sense" to send me. The decision was made higher up in the corporate hierarchy, so they like to say there is nothing they can do.
My boss saw me on the ground right after we talked. Some co-workers were helping me (one almost caught me), but I had hit my head and banged up my shoulder. My director told me to get up, and said "you are a bad teacher for acting this way."
Thanks for the responses. I'll just make the best of a poor situation, and hold on to the fact that I'll be leaving this country soon enough.

• orangeman
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 01, 2011, 09:56:35 am
    • Seoul-East Side
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 04:45:48 pm »
Whatever the actual situation, and I'm not saying this as support for your reaction (I'm not sure what happened), but don't believe for one second Korean teachers don't act the  way you did.  The crap I've seen grown women (and some men) pull in the workplace here is shocking.  Hysterical crying, screaming, even violence and destruction of property over such petty insignificant issues.  So, yeah, don't take your boss' criticism of your character or teaching abilities too seriously.  90% of Koreans seem to be three seconds away from a nervous breakdown at any given moment.

• Khanate
  • Veteran

• May 11, 2011, 08:05:38 am
    • Montreal
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 08:39:22 am »
You fainted over having to move into an easier job that will look better on your CV?

• jupinkorea
  • Super Waygook

• June 04, 2012, 05:25:32 pm
    • Seoul
    more
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 10:07:03 am »
You fainted over having to move into an easier job that will look better on your CV?

Yeah this is what I was thinking too.
"North Korea everything sunny all the time, always good time, beach party" Johnny Mountain

• Khanate
  • Veteran

• May 11, 2011, 08:05:38 am
    • Montreal
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 10:27:22 am »
I understand that it can be quite inconvenient and that having to pay extra on your bills is very unfair considering that they are forcing you into this, but as far as bad news go this seems like one of the better ones.

• tesoljon
  • Expert Waygook

• March 13, 2012, 12:16:12 pm
    • Ansan-si
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 10:47:21 am »
1) Check your contract to see what it says about transfers.

2) Do some research and find out what all the fees are for cancelling your service contracts early. Take an itemized list to your boss and ask to be reimbursed. You probably won't get anything, but you can still ask.

3) Is Avalon providing housing for 3 months? Can any of your contracts be moved/transferred to your new place? If there are transfer fees, add that to the list from #2.

I understand that it is disappointing that your brother and sister-in-law are moving to be near you and now you won't be there, but 1) it's not Avalon's problem, and 2) it's only 3 months--you're about to go home anyway. Even if they are moving internationally to be near you, Korea is not a huge country. It might be inconvenient to see each other, but it's not impossible.

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2013, 12:57:58 pm »
Wow!  I am amazed at some of the comments here.  Why are some of you so flippant about the fact that her company is forcing her to move and stop doing the work that she is contracted to do?

My advice is to carefully look over your contract, and if it says nothing of them being able to transfer you, change your job into a non-teaching job, etc. then fight them on it.  They would have to give you 30 days notice if they decide they are going to fire you instead, and by that time you could probably turn it into a 10th/11th month firing situation and take them to court. 

Thoroughly review your contract, call the labor board and find out your options.  Don't just blindly accept this kind of crap.  You have rights and options, you just need to figure out what they are and use them.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 01:05:44 pm by aintheROK »

• Fantasy
  • Explorer

• February 24, 2013, 08:56:01 am
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2013, 02:01:32 pm »
Downsizing is quite common in hagwons I think, especially in this kind of economy.
Parents probably can't afford to have their children learn at hagwons.  SIMPLE!
For newbies if you don't want any big surprises, just go for the GEPIK and EPIK jobs.  Public schools can never fire you unless you do something seriously wrong like arrive to class drunk. 
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 02:16:54 pm by Fantasy »

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2013, 07:16:39 pm »
OP, if you do move to work in a new city for your hagwon chain, make sure that your E2 visa is amended at Immigration to  show your new workplace.  Otherwise, you could end up working illegally and not know it.

• papayapie
  • Super Waygook

• May 30, 2012, 10:30:06 am
    more
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2013, 09:59:09 am »
Just quit and move back home and save yourself from misery.

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2013, 07:20:34 pm »
If the OP works for a hagwon franchise, which I think she does, then they can transfer her to another work location.  It happened to a friend of mine at Avalon.  She has the right to accept or refuse her transfer.