Read 2576 times

• JeremyC
  • Featured Contributor

• July 15, 2012, 03:48:16 pm
    • Korea
Leaving Public School after the end of the contract.
« on: February 22, 2013, 05:36:57 pm »
There are likely already threads here discussing this but I'd like to know the current regulations. There are plenty on leaving early but none recent for just finishing like a good teacher and buggering off.

So, if you're completing the contract and leaving for home after the end of the contract either because of school budget problems, you want to go home, you don't like kimchi, family issues, a sex change, you're wanting to earn more/less, the beer, or what ever, what's the drill?

Any recommendations for pension, severance, apartment deposit, flights, currency exchange, etc? Thanks!
It's nice to be important but more important to be nice.

• TeachaTeacha
  • Expert Waygook

• September 06, 2012, 03:27:09 pm
    • South Korea
Re: Leaving Public School after the end of the contract.
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 06:10:08 pm »
Pension

http://www.korea4expats.com/article-Pension-refund-if-in-Korea.html

Severance

You should get this at the same time as your final paycheck.

Housing Deposit

Most schools will give this back to you after a couple of months (to ensure that you didn't have any outstanding bills or anything like that). You should leave them with bank account information for your account back home.

Flight

The last time I finished a contract in the public system (IMOE in 2009), the school purchased the flight for me. I do believe that my current contract (GEPIK) states that I will be given cash/bank deposit at a certain amount and I am responsible for booking my own flight (check your contract, though. I'm not certain on this.)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 06:12:15 pm by TeachaTeacha »

• JeremyC
  • Featured Contributor

• Korea
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 06:38:26 pm »
Thanks TeachaTeacha, some good points there.

Anyone else care to chime in?

• Ley_Druid
  • The Legend

• February 17, 2011, 08:36:33 am
    • Shinan-Gun, Jeollanam-Do, South Korea
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 10:22:25 pm »
Please specify which contract you have. There is a difference between a lot of the public schools. There is the general EPIK contract, GEPIK, Gimhae, and some of the public institutions have variations, such as the Air Force High School and non-regular public institutions, like after school city-run programs or teacher training programs.

• gamgokt
  • Veteran

• February 18, 2013, 09:49:58 am
    • here and there
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 07:33:48 am »
your local bankbook.

The one thing I will disagree with in that article. Usually they will want your western bank information as they will not pay your pension until after you leave the country. Exceptions have been made in the past but ...

As for severance, they have up to 2 weeks after the end of your contract to pay you.

• JeremyC
  • Featured Contributor

• Korea
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 08:03:43 am »
More replies are welcome; I'm looking for up to date tips for any of the government programs or private contracts. There are hundreds of teachers leaving this year and, most likely, there'll be hundreds leaving next year too. Thanks!

• cruisemonkey
  • Expert Waygook

• March 25, 2011, 02:17:57 pm
    • China
    more
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 06:13:55 am »
If you have a K-redit Kard (mine was a Nonghyup-issued BC Card - International MasterCard) it will be cancelled the second your period of sojourn ends... even though you leave your bank account open. It's possible to get a 'Check Card' - Maestro - to access the account from any ATM in the world showing the Cirrus 'logo'.

I applied for my NPS lump-sum refund two weeks before the end of my contract... but it took an entire day because directions to the NPS office in my city had not been updated on the website - I wasted four hours wandering around looking for it!

Remember, everything takes 4-10 times longer than it should because of the idiocy of Korean protectionism. You may find some of your utilities (in my case, CJ 'Square D' cable TV) have been 'sponsored' by ex-CTs who have moved on to other schools/cities... but are required to be physically present to end the account.

A good 'rule of thumb' is to get an extention from Immigration and plan on spending at least a week beyond the end of one's contract in order to 'T' everything up.

The Ks once gave me five minutes notice. I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

• donnal
  • Waygookin

• January 23, 2013, 04:47:10 pm
    • Busan
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 06:32:54 am »
If you have a K-redit Kard (mine was a Nonghyup-issued BC Card - International MasterCard) it will be cancelled the second your period of sojourn ends... even though you leave your bank account open. It's possible to get a 'Check Card' - Maestro - to access the account from any ATM in the world showing the Cirrus 'logo'.

I applied for my NPS lump-sum refund two weeks before the end of my contract... but it took an entire day because directions to the NPS office in my city had not been updated on the website - I wasted four hours wandering around looking for it!

Remember, everything takes 4-10 times longer than it should because of the idiocy of Korean protectionism. You may find some of your utilities (in my case, CJ 'Square D' cable TV) have been 'sponsored' by ex-CTs who have moved on to other schools/cities... but are required to be physically present to end the account.

A good 'rule of thumb' is to get an extention from Immigration and plan on spending at least a week beyond the end of one's contract in order to 'T' everything up.

Why do you need an extension from Immigration? Don't you have an extra ~30 days on your E2 from your contract completion date?

• cruisemonkey
  • Expert Waygook

• March 25, 2011, 02:17:57 pm
    • China
    more
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 06:50:28 am »
Why do you need an extension from Immigration? Don't you have an extra ~30 days on your E2 from your contract completion date?

You're right -
My contract ended on August 25, 2011 and I left K-land on Sept. 8. At that time, there was no '13-month' period of sojourn. I forgot they have since instituted the '+30 days' for E-2s.

Still, my advice - give yourself at least a week beyond contract completion date - applies to booking air tickets.
The Ks once gave me five minutes notice. I didn't know what to do with the extra time.