Read 1962 times

• pyeager
  • Fanatical Supporter!

• January 19, 2010, 08:19:14 am
    • Korea
Help! University Exam Center Needed
« on: March 01, 2011, 08:45:11 pm »
I'm working on my M.Ed. by distance learning. I need to take a three hour comprehensive exam on March 15 at a university exam center. I told my co-worker about it, and he was confident that there was one at Yonsei Wonju, but calls to them got me nowhere. Apparently the idea of one person needing to take a unique exam was just puzzling. Any ideas? I can travel, but Wonju, Seoul or Daejeon would be ideal. Thanks.

• adamwatch
  • Super Waygook

• February 03, 2010, 10:47:27 pm
    • seoul
Re: Help! University Exam Center Needed
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 08:59:08 pm »
Can you not take the exam at your embassy or consulate? Or they may be able to find you a suitable place.

Adam

• pyeager
  • Fanatical Supporter!

• Korea
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 09:29:20 pm »
Thanks for the suggestion, Adam. I hadn't thought of that. My advisor was quite clear that it needs to be a university proctored setting though. I'll consider contacting the embassy for a place as a last resort, but I think someone who works at a university or has been in a similar situation is more likely to have an answer.

• pyeager
  • Fanatical Supporter!

• Korea
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 07:27:50 am »
Ah, I see the Canadian embassy offers such a service. I'm American though, and unfortunately our embassy is not usually so helpful. Their attitude is usually more like "pick the service you require off this list, and we'll help you." Exams aren't on the list.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 08:11:19 am by pyeager »

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 07:43:53 am »
It is really difficult. I checked with a bunch of universities here when I was looking for a proctor and they acted like I was insane. Can you beg and plead with your program to use a public library? Some of them are more accommodating and will work with you instead of rejecting you outright as most of the universities did. Also, have you checked with the Fulbright Commission? They may have some connections with local universities.

I have found if you explain the situation to your program sometimes they will compromise with you or ask them if they have had past students in Korea and what they have done for this exam.

As a last, last resort, there is a university testing center in Tokyo run by Temple University. It'd be the most expensive exam ever, but if you're up against a deadline and you can't find anything acceptable in Korea it may be worth a shot.

• pyeager
  • Fanatical Supporter!

• Korea
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 11:14:48 am »
Thanks for the advice about Tokyo. That is definitely a last resort. I'm going to give it a couple days before I start begging; I find it hard to believe that no uni offers such a service.

For future reference, the British Council is nice if your institution is British, otherwise they said no. Also, you have to write the exam by hand there; no computers. Since I haven't written anything beyond a shopping list or a phone number on paper in quite a few years, I really want to type it.

• pyeager
  • Fanatical Supporter!

• Korea
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 03:28:17 pm »
Embassy is out. Tokyo is expensive. Other ideas?

• pyeager
  • Fanatical Supporter!

• Korea
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 01:50:38 pm »
Well, because I've never seen this question actually answered on the internet, and someone will undoubtedly end up in the same boat, I'll sum up what I've found:

Canadians have the Canadian Embassy. (Thanks Adamwatch.)
If you're studying at a UK institution, you can use the British Council.
Americans have no easy options.

I emailed all of the SKY schools, and they didn't answer me. My Korean friend called a couple of them, got the run around, and they eventually said no.

Eventually, I found a small uni that had some sort of relationship with my uni. My uni lets their students go there at in-state tuition. I emailed them, and they offered to help, but they required a formal request from my school.

I also have a friend who works at a prominent school in Seoul. His office staff was able to figure out something, but they also wanted a more official request, and it was not completely certain that they would do it.

As a last-ditch effort, Temple University has a proper testing center in Tokyo. (thanks eieayo.)

The bottom line is, if you're in this situation, start early, try to find connections, and beg.
(And that's the end of my shameful bumping.)