Read 2179 times

Hi everyone, this is my first time in Korea so I was wondering when do public schools let you know about renewing your contract?  I work for a elementary school and my contract ends towards the middle of this June.  One co-teacher told me they want me to stay another year, but does the co-teacher in charge of you decide about your contract, or who makes the decision? 

I have a lot to think about, but it would be good financially to stay one more year, but I really don't want to look for another job because I like my school, although sometimes they make me mental, but then what school doesn't do that :P I do like the kids here and my apartment is fairly decent, at least my kitchen is separate from the rest of the apartment which is a plus anyways would just like peoples experiences and input so I have more of an idea.  Thanks :)

• Nobbie Q
  • Veteran

• June 17, 2012, 05:15:58 pm
    • Seongnam, South Korea
Re: first year in Korea, when do public schools inform you about renewal?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 08:49:47 am »
With GEPIK, they state in your contract (well for the ones written out in 2012) that they notify you officially of renewal or not, two months before your contract ends. At that point they let you know.

Your co-teacher in charge of you decides whether or not you'll get the boot. She's the one who can tell others to renew you or not, so you better be on her good side, despite how lazy, inconsiderate, and ignorant she might seem.

• stemarty
  • Featured Contributor

• September 02, 2011, 12:20:42 pm
    • Jeonnamdo
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 09:07:51 am »
Your Co-Teacher is incharge of your renew and will have a lot of say over if they want you back next year.

your contract renewal paper should come anytime, but this is Korea and things sometimes are done super last minute. For my province (Jeollanam-do ) the renewal papers usually come in around May.

If you need to know when the contract renewal papers come, just ask. Korea rarely books things like this in advance.
If you want to renew....tell them now!
It seems like your co-teacher likes you, so that probably means you can stay. Let them know you are considering renewing.
 If you know you aren't going to renew for sure than don't say anything because depending on your teacher and school they can make things difficult for you.

Honestly if you are happy just stay where you are. I have horror stories of friends who transferred (and they had a great set-up) and it was a nightmare. Not that this happens all the time, but be aware that if you have a good thing going, why change it?

• gamgokt
  • Veteran

• February 18, 2013, 09:49:58 am
    • here and there
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 09:09:32 am »
Your co-teacher in charge of you decides whether or not you'll get the boot. She's the one who can tell others to renew you or not, so you better be on her good side, despite how lazy, inconsiderate, and ignorant she might seem.

No, that is not always the case, if it is at all. Usually the teachers will get together and discuss it, they will review the year etc then make a recommendation to the prinicpal. The principal can over-rule the recommendation either way if he or she wants.

If you are hired by the district, then neither the co-teacher or principal have much of a say in the matter. The final decision is the district's.

{Other people's experience may be different}

• lotte world
  • The Legend

• August 22, 2011, 09:00:38 pm
    more
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 09:13:52 am »
In our county (EPIK) the Education Office sends a memo around every quarter, asking the school to let them know if the NET wants to leave.  So, you should be asked around 2-3 months before your end date if you want to stay (assuming the school wants you to stay).

It is a good idea to mention occasionally if you do want to stay, and also, closer to the time, to check and confirm that the school wants to renew you.  Do not assume anything.

• Nobbie Q
  • Veteran

• June 17, 2012, 05:15:58 pm
    • Seongnam, South Korea
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 09:17:28 am »
Hmm..i didn't know about the district thing. I haven't heard of that.

Yes, the principal can overrule any decision that the other teachers come to, but really how often do we all meet the principal? I barely talk to her. Your main co-teacher has a lot of weight in whether you'll be renewed or not because she's directly in charge of you, so they're gonna want to know what she especially thinks. I think generally this is the case for most of us here.  Of course, if you cause a bad impression with the principal then it would be difficult getting renewed.

OP, check your contract. It might specify when your school will let you know about your renewal.

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 09:25:33 am »
Late December or Early January is when I always talked with my schools about renewing or not.  EPIK sends a form around for the NET to indicate what they want or plan to do.  You should have been given that form by now.  And when I was a GEPIK teacher, the timing varied a little according to how busy the principal was at that time of the year. 

If you have not heard anything nor gotten a notice by now, you should talk to your supervising co-teacher right away.

• lotte world
  • The Legend

• August 22, 2011, 09:00:38 pm
    more
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 09:28:03 am »

If you have not heard anything nor gotten a notice by now, you should talk to your supervising co-teacher right away.

OP finishes in June.  I suggest that she waits until the end of March, or at least until the new semester is under way.

• gamgokt
  • Veteran

• February 18, 2013, 09:49:58 am
    • here and there
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 10:06:07 am »
I work for IMOE and my contract doesn't say anything about when you hear about renewals

Rule of thumb, you should approach your co-teacher about 2 months before your contract expires.

i didn't know about the district thing. I haven't heard of that.

When the district does the hiring, firing, and the paying they get the say. One district told the co-teacher to mind his own business.