Read 3531 times

• GyverMac
  • Newgookin

• February 20, 2013, 08:20:34 pm
    • Seoul
GEPIK Contract breach?
« on: February 20, 2013, 09:12:24 pm »
Hello, all.

Just looking for some opinions on a, quite frankly, ludicrous GEPIK contract issue that reared its ugly face a few weeks ago. Perhaps others have just experienced the same thing. Perhaps not. Haven't seen any other posts about it anywhere and anyone I've mentioned it to seems flabbergasted and utterly bemused at my, and my colleague's, predicament.

2. In the case of renewal of this contract pursuant to the foregoing 1, the Employee shall be given a fourteen (14) day (weekend and national holidays inclusive) renewal leave which is additional, beyond the yearly paid leave. Renewal leave must be taken during the vacation periods not conflicting with school schedules within six (6) months from the first date of the renewal contract.

The above is taken from article 11 (contract renewal) in the 2012/13 GEPIK contract. I just renewed with my school ( I would have rather not) and the word from both them and GEPIK is that the benefits stipulated in this 2012/13 contract do not apply to me and that I must adhere to the renewal benefits stated in the 2013/14 contract, which are of course less beneficial. The following is taken from article 12 (Renewal of the contract) in the 2013/14 GEPIK contract:

2. In the case of renewal, pursuant to the foregoing clause 1, the employee shall be given a 10-day paid renewal leave (weekends and holidays inclusive; must be used consecutively) which shall take place during school vacations in the new Term of Employment with the condition that the days do not conflict with the school schedule.

There's a lot more nonsense that I could go into here based upon ridiculous conversations I've recently had with GEPIK co-ordinators and members of the English department, but for now I'll try to keep it simple and see where we go.

First of all, it was the it's-not-14-days-it's-10-days renewal leave fiasco which set alarm bells off, as I signed the 2012/13 contract in which it is clearly and unequivocally stated that upon renewal employee would receive 14 days. Then, according to GEPIK, it was that I/we could not use these 10 days of renewal leave in this here February of 2013. I must use them during the summer vacation or winter vacation in 2014. Renewal leave! After your second year. It really does beggar belief.

Now, I spent a good few days in futile debates with GEPIK regarding the wording of their contracts and the sensibility of what they were actually saying. My objections were met with too many illogical and insulting responses to list here. In no circumstances whatsoever would anyone reading the renewal benefits in the 2012/13 contract think that they wouldn't be entitled to 14 days renewal leave.

If anyone has experienced anything similar I'd like to hear about it, or if anyone has any comments to make to get to the bottom of this, I'd be very much grateful to hear them.

• kimchi4me
  • Veteran

• December 23, 2012, 03:39:41 pm
    • bucheon
Re: GEPIK Contract breach?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 09:18:46 pm »
I'm in the same boat!

My GEPIK coordinator says I must go by the new contract which is completely asinine. They r just !?&@ing with us. I will take those days one way or another. But as of know my trip to Canada will be 10 days. I feel very betrayed by this. I've been with GEPIK for 4 years but I guess I'm not totally surprised

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 09:22:48 pm »
Yes, I've been expecting this.

Similar happened last year.  The 2011-2012 contract put no limit on the amount of money for the flight for renewal leave.  The 2012-2013 put a 2.0 million limit.

When I was ready to buy the flight for my renewal leave (which I earned by completing the 2011-2012 contract), I was informed they would only contribute up to 2.0 million because they were going by the 2012-2013 contract.  This was a problem because the ticket exceeded that by a few hundred thousand won (it was summer, the only time I was allowed to take the renewal leave).

My Korean girlfriend read the contract, and she agreed with me.  However, I hit a brick wall with the school and GEPIK.  It sounds very similar to your experience.  And I know that there's plenty of other NETs who had the same problem.
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me.

• Jaunter
  • Super Waygook

• April 02, 2012, 11:57:17 am
    • Goyang, Korea
    more
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 09:53:34 pm »
I'm going into my second year with GEPIK, and definitely my last. I can only imagine the dog and pony show the 2014-2015 contract will look like.
_ゝ`) ...

• GyverMac
  • Newgookin

• Seoul
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 10:17:45 pm »
@justanotherwaygook: Ah, yes. I can remember reading a couple of posts about flight reimbursment vs flat fee issues. It's something I brought up when I spoke to GEPIK in that they must have been aware there was a wording issue/startling ambiguity/missing information in the contract due to issues raised in previous years. The incompetency is truly staggering.

@Jaunter: Aye. This will be my 4th and final year. Maybe the necessary kick up the arse we all need to get our shit together. An utter shambles, GEPIK.

Do we have any ideas if there's anything that can be done here? Labour board? Or is it that GEPIK will simply fall back on the notion that the governing language of the contracts is Korean (which they've convienently included in the 2013/14 contract, right at the end) and/or that they can simply will contractual stipulations into/out of existence? Is there nothing we can do here but accept it?

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 10:27:54 pm »
Well, the previous contracts also included the clause that the governing language is Korean, but even a Korean speaker confirmed that it matches up with the English in regards to renewal flight.

Remember, GEPIK isn't run by unbiased judges or lawyers, it's bureaucrats.  They were wrong, but they just kept pushing their way through.  This might not even be a case for the Labor Board; it may fall to civil court.  I'm not sure.
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me.

• GyverMac
  • Newgookin

• Seoul
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 10:38:44 pm »
Ah. You're right. That governing language bit was in the 2012/13 contract.

I did the same thing in having friends & close colleagues read through the Korean and clarify if anything was missing/incorrectly translated and they said the same thing. And when all this was presented to GEPIK they responded with some lark about GEPIK teachers being bound by internal GEPIK regulations not stated in contract. The gall on this lot, I'm telling you.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 10:43:52 pm by GyverMac »

• jon-anon
  • Veteran

• May 10, 2011, 04:03:23 am
    • Gyeonggi-do
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 08:04:49 am »
Then, according to GEPIK, it was that I/we could not use these 10 days of renewal leave in this here February of 2013. I must use them during the summer vacation or winter vacation in 2014.
fixed that for you...

Contract also says the renewal vacation days must be used within 6 months of the contract renewal. 

When I asked the GEPIK coordinator about this several months ago, though, she had said that (although the contract terms are changing for 13-14) my renewal leave would follow the contract I'd signed (all moot, of course, as I didn't get renewed).  Then again, this was Victoria Oh I had spoken with (mmmm mmm) and she has since left/got shitcanned so who knows.

• Bryan Teacher
  • Adventurer

• June 27, 2012, 12:46:11 pm
    • Anyang
    more
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 09:14:54 am »
I'm concerned about this.

I know people post this all the time, but it keeps changing - does anybody have the names and emails of the GEPIK coordinators? I'm in Anyang.
Nobody owns English.

• GyverMac
  • Newgookin

• Seoul
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 10:19:35 am »
@jon-anon: That 6 month limit has been taken out of the 2013/14 contract and I had the GEPIK Head Co-ordinator explicitly state that we're all going to have to take a lot of time off in January/February 2014. Not that either of these things matters much as I'm sure there'll be a whole heap of bullshit come Jan//Feb 3014 when NETs have 20/30 days of vacation to use up.

@Bryan Teacher: I first brought it up with Victoria Oh's Goyang District Co-ordinator replacemement but she was out of her depth a bit so I was passed onto who I was told was Head Co-ordinator, Hellena Lee (hellenalee81@gmail.com).

• gamgokt
  • Veteran

• February 18, 2013, 09:49:58 am
    • here and there
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 07:39:04 am »
OP

You could make a big deal out this if you want but it probably will cost you more than you will gain.  I avoid these issues but refusing the time off.  I have never taken that extra time off and do not intend to in the future. When my Korean co-teacher asked me about it I just said I prefer remaining in the classroom.