Read 4432 times

• peach26
  • Veteran

• February 06, 2012, 11:16:25 am
    • Korea
Public school work culture
« on: February 20, 2013, 03:15:35 pm »
I really enjoy Korea and love the food and I absolutley love Busan, but the work culture in public schools here is overly conservative, ageist, hierarchial, etc.  I can't believe a thread in which I read a guy was ordered not to talk to a female Korean teacher.  I'm sorry, but my sweet, docile self would be livid, if some closed-minded fool ordered me to not speak with someone.  And the segregation by grade thing is uber annoying.  Maybe it's just GEPIK podunkville schools that act like this.  But, I highly doubt it.  Don't even get me started on women on women evilness and their backstabbing, gossipy behavior.  I have even heard others say that the word is, if you're an attractive foreign woman, you will most likely have problems with the jealousy, etc.  I'm debating whether I can or should stay in Korea because I'm tired of this game.  The male teachers are way cooler than the women.  I will say this much.  But, I guess like the saying goes "If people are talking about me, I'm doing something right". 
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 03:19:05 pm by peach26 »

• Nivea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 02, 2011, 11:23:30 pm
Re: Public school work culture
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 03:47:31 pm »
My public High School was pretty okay in that regard. My co-workers weren't crazy conservative types. Spent time talking to a few of the older teachers who had some interesting stories of youthful protests they were involved in.

As for the bitchy women, didn't notice it at my school. But then again if they are speaking in Korean about me, I don't care. I don't care if they are bitchy towards eat other or whatnot. I'm just not sensitive to comments or criticism. 

• mycena
  • Veteran

• May 08, 2011, 10:59:19 am
    • Masan
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 04:44:32 pm »
We get it, you're feminine, slender, and all women (especially Korean women) are jealous of your goddess-like visage. Do you really need to mention this in EVERY post? Perhaps you should go home, as you're obviously not happy with the work environment here.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 04:46:49 pm by mycena »

• Nivea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 02, 2011, 11:23:30 pm
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 04:47:37 pm »
I dunno I would think that the Korean women would be more jealous of the happy fat foreigners because they don't have to sit around and worry about their body all the time.

• Suza
  • Super Waygook

• March 21, 2011, 07:32:17 am
    • Sanbon
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 04:49:49 pm »
Don't even get me started on women on women evilness and their backstabbing, gossipy behavior. 

That's just women in general, especially in an office environment - like a hen house!

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 07:49:53 pm »
She is right indeed,and has valid points.Office politics at public schools can be terrible.

The women in my work place have the faces of angels, but some are absolutely  mental (for lack of a better word).

Many are two-faced,passive-aggressive,instinctively lie,the list keeps going on. That's just a part of the culture they are brought up with here.My experience with Korean's are that many are just plain superficial.

I sincerely feel sorry for the guys that these girls will end up with .The guy teachers in my experience have also been way more rational and mellow.

The very young and the fairly older female teachers have been a thorn in my side.

That being said,there are good co-teachers (Korean's) out there which are not completely psychopathic.
Do you want a 5-10 Dollar discount on your first purchase from iherb.com?Use this code KSZ711 when you make a purchase.

• madison79
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 19, 2010, 01:26:04 pm
    • Interweb
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 09:28:24 pm »
It's def. school to school.  Just let it go is the only thing I can say.  You'll never change Koreans thought process about how they act.  Wish you the best. 
It's -ev to deal with some people.

• 0mnslnd
  • Expert Waygook

• June 03, 2011, 08:10:01 am
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 11:48:22 pm »
We get it, you're feminine, slender, and all women (especially Korean women) are jealous of your goddess-like visage. Do you really need to mention this in EVERY post? Perhaps you should go home, as you're obviously not happy with the work environment here.

I will force myself not to use the a-word here.
Out. Never been happier

• wrinklebump
  • Expert Waygook

• March 20, 2012, 01:31:12 pm
    • Ulsan, Korea via Detroit, Michigan
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 12:54:44 am »
He's just pissed those Joeson-era hats are out of fashion
Livin in a pathetic epidemic with schizophrenics buyin synthetic bodies on credit

• peach26
  • Veteran

• February 06, 2012, 11:16:25 am
    • Korea
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 06:07:14 am »
Yes, matador, you're so right.  I think guys have no idea just how vicious women can be to other women.  I'm close with a guy at work and ^^he chats with the women who made me lose my job.  Maybe ^^he just doesn't realize what they did, and I guess ^^he has to talk to them.  The lady I replaced last year actually gave me a hug when I met her.  I guess that was body language for her knowing I was jumping into a pool of barracudas.  The main vicious women were first year teachers last year. 

• gamgokt
  • Veteran

• February 18, 2013, 09:49:58 am
    • here and there
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2013, 07:39:11 am »
I'm close with a guy at work and ^^he chats with the women who made me lose my job

The bold words are the ones I am curious about. How did they make you lose your job?

• jenglish
  • Super Waygook

• September 01, 2010, 12:14:19 pm
    • Gwangju Elementary
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2013, 07:47:52 am »
I really enjoy Korea and love the food and I absolutley love Busan, but the work culture in public schools here is overly conservative, ageist, hierarchial, etc.  I can't believe a thread in which I read a guy was ordered not to talk to a female Korean teacher.  I'm sorry, but my sweet, docile self would be livid, if some closed-minded fool ordered me to not speak with someone.  And the segregation by grade thing is uber annoying.  Maybe it's just GEPIK podunkville schools that act like this.  But, I highly doubt it.  Don't even get me started on women on women evilness and their backstabbing, gossipy behavior.  I have even heard others say that the word is, if you're an attractive foreign woman, you will most likely have problems with the jealousy, etc.  I'm debating whether I can or should stay in Korea because I'm tired of this game.  The male teachers are way cooler than the women.  I will say this much.  But, I guess like the saying goes "If people are talking about me, I'm doing something right".

Sorry, but this isn't Hollywood and you're not a starlet.  If they're talking about you it's probably not a good thing.

• KLM
  • Veteran

• May 19, 2011, 10:24:36 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2013, 08:01:53 am »
I'm close with a guy at work and ^^he chats with the women who made me lose my job. 

The astute, artfully crafted insights you have brought to this forum would lead any observer to the conclusion that there is literally no way that you may have played any role in bringing about your misfortune in the workplace.

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2013, 08:05:30 am »

Really?! the 'a-word'? People say that?
And "uber annoying" too, it seems. Hahahaha people

Love the vitriol flying around this morning, long may it continue!

• jenglish
  • Super Waygook

• September 01, 2010, 12:14:19 pm
    • Gwangju Elementary
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2013, 08:10:58 am »

Really?! the 'a-word'? People say that?
And "uber annoying" too, it seems. Hahahaha people

Love the vitriol flying around this morning, long may it continue!

Totally agree--and I love knocking people off their imaginary pedestals when all they do is complain. :evil:

• newb
  • Newgookin

• November 20, 2012, 10:38:27 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2013, 08:17:03 am »
I agree with what have been said so far.

I feel sorry for the students who have to put-up with these miserable and snaky K-teachers day in and day out. 
HEY CAN YOU FILL THE OIL AND CHECK THE GAS PLEASE!!!!

• KLM
  • Veteran

• May 19, 2011, 10:24:36 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2013, 08:21:19 am »

I feel sorry for the students who have to put-up with these miserable and snaky K-teachers day in and day out. 

Truly. Those students' collective plight is much worse than that of those who are forced to study under teachers who have yet to master the English language.

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2013, 08:28:24 am »
I think there is so much "stuff" going on at the schools that we don't even know.  I heard a bit from my 2 young female co-teachers about the hierarchy in the schools for them and some pretty bad situations: one with another female Korean teacher, and another with a principal...seeming ly having to do with a severe age/generation gap to me.

• newb
  • Newgookin

• November 20, 2012, 10:38:27 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2013, 09:15:29 am »

Truly. Those students' collective plight is much worse than that of those who are forced to study under teachers who have yet to master the English language.

You're excused.  We had teacher/staff dinner last night.
HEY CAN YOU FILL THE OIL AND CHECK THE GAS PLEASE!!!!

• Nobbie Q
  • Veteran

• June 17, 2012, 05:15:58 pm
    • Seongnam, South Korea
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2013, 09:29:41 am »
Dunno about this Peach26 character, but yeah my main co-teacher is a damn snake. She's constantly worried about image and losing face, lazy as hell, and just outright inconsiderate. We have gotten into crazy fights...these days I just don't have the energy to talk to her about anything and try to ignore her as much as possible. It's really hard for me to look in her eyes- do you have guys have this problem too? I can never look in her eyes, except when I'm really pissed or if I want her to listen to me.

These days she's on vacation so I'm alone here in the office. I talked to the admin staff about my year end stuff (flight home etc.) and i'm pretty sure when my co-teacher comes back, she's gonna ask me 5 million questions about what kind of questions I asked, what the answers were, if anyone else was around, if I talked to anyone else etc.

Next month is my last month here at this school. I'm gonna let her have it. She doesn't plan any of the lessons I do, and has stopped really coming to class. I"m just gonna do my own thing without listening to her and prevent her from interrupting my lessons all the time and opening the stupid windows all the time, when it's friggin winter now.