Read 1893 times

EPIK Application - What are they looking for in the lesson plan?
« on: February 20, 2013, 02:15:52 am »
My wife and I are staring this EPIK application in the face for the first time and find ourselves wondering:

What exactly are they looking for in this lesson plan?

As I read the instructions, it sounds like they are looking for teachers who take new, exciting, and innovative approaches to the subject. But that exactly square with everything I've read about the situation on the ground. So...

• Wintermute
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 06, 2011, 01:07:27 pm
    • MURRICA!!!
    more
Re: EPIK Application - What are they looking for in the lesson plan?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 07:05:43 am »
you said it perfectly, they want a lesson plan that you will never be able to perform thanks to co-teacher conflictions.

Just make sure you stay on topic, use key phrases throughout the lesson, and have a lot of student talk time. Use the words "educational activity" instead of game. Don't put, "show Mr.Bean episode on youtube".

I always just attach a previous lesson plan that I've done to the reply e-mail instead of using the template they provide.

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 07:16:12 am »
For mine, i just submitted a junior science lesson plan on mitosis from teaching back home. It doesn't say it has to be ESL-specific, and I knew my lesson plan was impressive and innovative so I went with it. So not sure if you have teaching experience where you have a lesson plan already, but that's another way to go (it worked for me, i think it might have been why i got a science high school)
I'm loving iHerb. Check out http://www.iherb.com/ and enter my Rewards Code HLC923 to receive up to $10.00 off your first purchase

• septeacher
  • Veteran

• September 11, 2012, 08:17:52 am
    • Incheon, South Korea
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 07:37:46 am »
They have an exact example of a lesson plan on their website somewhere, copy that template and you're gold.

• jenglish
  • Super Waygook

• September 01, 2010, 12:14:19 pm
    • Gwangju Elementary
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 07:45:00 am »
just BS it!  A lesson on teaching a letter of the alphabet.  Throw in some visual aids, videos an activity and a few songs and you're done.

Break it down into 3 10 minute parts.  5 for an interesting gimmick intro and 5 for closure where you ask students to say the letter (in your lesson plan say you evaluate student's ability to say the letter/word). 

Begin with: "Students will learn to..." say and print the letter 'Aa'.   

As someone already said this is a total waste of time because it is no way realistic to actual teaching.  For example, students really like 1 activity and hate another.  Are you gonna continue with one that students hate just because it's in your plan?  What if students ask questions or something interesting is said?  Do you tell them to shut up because your lesson plan says you only have x amount of time for a part of your lesson? 

They're really big on alotting times for your lesson so just make it up.  Good luck.