Read 1256 times

  • MJHanson
  • Expert Waygook

    • 502

    • May 02, 2011, 09:42:58 am
    • Gyeonggi-do, South Korea
US Resident Tax Exemption HELP
« on: February 19, 2013, 10:11:08 am »
Last year (my first year here) I worked at a public school and I submitted my IRS residency form, so I was exempt from Korean income taxes. 

Now I am working at a university (my second year here), and I mistakenly believed that my tax exemption would carry over to the new school.  However, I have been paying income tax at my new job.  I have heard that if you submit your IRS residency certificate that your school is supposed to refund your income taxes. 

My school doesn't employ many foreign teachers, and most are on F2 visas and have been here many years anyhow, so my school doesn't seem to really understand what I am talking about when I refer to my 2 year tax exempt status.  They try to tell me that since I have lived here for one full year, my address is now in Korea and I am no longer a US resident.  I don't think they are trying to screw with me... I just don't think they understand this tax exemption policy.

Does anyone know where to get this tax exemption information in Korean, not in English?  Preferably something official (like a tax office website)?  I am having no luck.  The tax office in my city speaks no English and I haven't had time to have a friend come with me during a weekday to translate. 

  • skippy
  • Expert Waygook

    • 873

    • January 12, 2011, 04:08:17 pm
    • Daejeon
Re: US Resident Tax Exemption HELP
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 03:13:01 pm »
No experience with this, but I think you may not be exempt anymore as your are working at a University.  Unless the University is a public one, I think?
Please consider adding some info to your "Personal Text"  Like type of school, visa status, county of origin.  These little bits of info can help people help you.

Re: US Resident Tax Exemption HELP
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 11:25:31 am »
Sorry about piggybacking off your thread, but are US citizens working for public schools exempt from both US and Korean taxes? Someone is telling me that since I applied for my 8802 residency cert for Korean tax exemption I have to pay US taxes.

  • Grimne_Lothos
  • Expert Waygook

    • 846

    • December 28, 2011, 12:56:27 pm
    • Buyeo, south korea
Re: US Resident Tax Exemption HELP
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 01:13:29 pm »
correct.  You have to file U.S. taxes but unless you have other income you shouldn't have to pay anything.

  • singjapoe
  • Adventurer

    • 44

    • September 25, 2012, 09:13:14 am
    • Maseok, Namyangju
Re: US Resident Tax Exemption HELP
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 01:59:37 pm »
If you make less than US$ 80,000 in a foreign country then you don't owe anything to the US government.  But yeah, you still have to file and show them you haven't made that much.
“Tourists don’t know where they’ve been, travelers don’t know where they’re going.”