Read 2324 times

had the first school dinner at a restaurant tonight with the staff. I talked with the VP for a while (we have no principal) and did shots with him. Gonna try to grease the wheels a tad when July vacation rolls around.....perhaps a couple days more wont hurt eh VP?

Nothing a bottle of Blue Label wont fix

• Jrong
  • The Legend

• April 28, 2011, 12:52:32 pm
    more
Re: had drinks at dinner with the VP....Operation Brownoser in Effect lol
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 06:58:07 pm »
ain't no shame...  8)
"When in doubt...ask Troglodyte" ~0mnslnd

• Nivea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 02, 2011, 11:23:30 pm
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 07:18:53 pm »
I have a lovely presentation box of Glenfiddich in my cupboard, its been sitting there for about a year.  I wonder if I should give it to new principal or keep it for myself.

• newb
  • Newgookin

• November 20, 2012, 10:38:27 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 07:48:32 pm »
had the first school dinner at a restaurant tonight with the staff. I talked with the VP for a while (we have no principal) and did shots with him. Gonna try to grease the wheels a tad when July vacation rolls around.....perhaps a couple days more wont hurt eh VP?

This is what I'm talking bout.

As long as you rub elbow with the main boss, you're invincible.   8)
HEY CAN YOU FILL THE OIL AND CHECK THE GAS PLEASE!!!!

• skippy
  • Expert Waygook

• January 12, 2011, 04:08:17 pm
    • Daejeon
    more
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 09:42:09 pm »
Good on you.  Play the game.  Sometimes that good will and connections you build can pay off.   Friends and people who are social at times can get away with more.
Please consider adding some info to your "Personal Text"  Like type of school, visa status, county of origin.  These little bits of info can help people help you.

• TeachaTeacha
  • Expert Waygook

• September 06, 2012, 03:27:09 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 09:59:17 pm »

This reminds me of home. Haha. There is a mentally disabled man that hangs out at a local coffee shop back home who always ends our conversations with, "Nothing a little duct tape can't fix."  :smiley:

Also, nice work.

Also, thank you for spelling it principal.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 10:02:25 pm by TeachaTeacha »

• madison79
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 19, 2010, 01:26:04 pm
    • Interweb
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 11:07:46 pm »
I give you a C for effort.  The best brown nosier I've ever seen was this guy named J. 

J was so well liked that he got rehired even after missing days of work.  I'm not talking sicks days.  He literally just didn't show up due to his drinking problem. 
He was on a first name basis with all the EPIK higher ups in the area.  Even to this day they ask about him. 
He once came home so drunk he was 1 floor above his apartment.  He banged on the door until the poor dude opened up and kicked this guy out of his place. He woke up to cops hauling him to Jail. Then put a hole in the wall for trying to punch the cop. 

Results:  Payed a small fine since the higher ups took care of it.

Brown noser level:  EPIC. 
It's -ev to deal with some people.

• fishead
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 23, 2010, 07:58:05 am
    • Yangju Korea
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 07:35:12 am »
Your relationships with your Korean co-teachers carry a lot more weight. Going for a night of drinking with your English department head(Bujangnim) will help much more in preventing bad behavour not only from students for newbie Korean teachers and contract teachers that might view your lessons as a good opportunity to sit at the back of the room catch up on paper work and ignore all that happens in the classroom.
 On the other hand drinking with Principal and Vice Principal is good for ensuring they prepare the neccesary documentation for city funding if your Provinctial funding gets cut. They can also go to bat for you if you need to transfer.

• MWeb37
  • Super Waygook

• February 11, 2012, 10:24:08 am
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 08:09:56 am »
Am I the only one who genuinely enjoys getting wasted with my co-workers/VP/principal during these dinners? It's cool how everyone opens up and lets loose... not to mention hilarious.

Our schools last noraebang was particularly enjoyable for me. Amidst the stream of happy-go-lucky K-Pop tunes everyone was singing, I got to belt out a passionate and anger-fueled 'Paint it Black' that only several bottles of soju and many beers can allow me to muster. The change in atmosphere was palpable!  :laugh:
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 08:11:49 am by MWeb37 »

• 0mnslnd
  • Expert Waygook

• June 03, 2011, 08:10:01 am
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 08:47:16 am »
I never go to dinners..
Never eat with the teachers at school...
However, I still got decent vacation time plus days of to write exams.

Youre making a mistake OP. Theyre gonna expect that same high level of brownosing for as long as you work there. Give a Korean a cookie...and he'll wanna have the glass of milk.

Im not saying dont play the game.Im saying dont overdo it.
Out. Never been happier

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 09:38:12 am »
My P's best friend is an English speaker. When I first got to Korea, he told me that he wanted to meet me. I figured, hey, it wouldn't hurt to meet him at least once. We got together, drank. Turned out he is a pretty cool guy. We hang out at least once every 2 weeks. He is a little older than my P and told me that if I ever have any problems, to let him know and he will talk to my P. Haven't had to play this card as my school is pretty good for the most part.
No shame in playing that game.

• stemarty
  • Featured Contributor

• September 02, 2011, 12:20:42 pm
    • Jeonnamdo
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2013, 10:01:49 am »
My Principal was an English teacher before he was promoted so he adores me. He talks with me all the time.
When I came back from summer vacation I brought him a bottle of Whiskey brewed only in the Okanagan (West Coast Canada) and he LOVED it.