Read 1407 times

• kimchi4me
  • Veteran

• December 23, 2012, 03:39:41 pm
    • bucheon
Ive got a car related question: Any grease monkeys out there?
« on: February 18, 2013, 01:41:31 pm »
Hi,

Im useless when it comes to cars and such.  I have a 15 year old manual Matiz and I just wanted to know whether my car is burning gas at a good rate or not. Seems to me that Im going through gas a lot quicker than I should..anyway

Last week, I put 20,000W worth of gas in (just over 10 liters) and I got about 120 km on it before having to go back to the gas station (red light was on).

I should add that I live in Bucheon....and traffic is stop and go (no highway driving at all). Plently of idling...

With this info..could any of you tell me if my car is burning gas efficiently or is it burning gas too fast. Should I go to the garage and get it checked out? If it is burning too fast..what could be the cause?

thanks in advance

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
Re: Ive got a car related question: Any grease monkeys out there?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 02:37:12 pm »
I am no expert. - disclaimer :)
First check to make sure you dont have a leak, fuel lines and the actual gas tank. Put some cardboard under your car and run the engine, shut off car and keep cardboard under the car overnight. If u see spots it could be gas.
 Clogged air filter may affect gas usage also.
Also in cold weather your tires will lose pressure check the air, low tire pressure = fast gas burn.
Lastly let the car warm-up for 5 minutes in the morning/when cold.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 04:48:36 pm »
Hi, what size engine does it have? ie. how many cc's?. The car is 15 years old so you must not expect it to be light on gas anymore.

In all likelihood it has a carburettor and not fuel injection so immediately you are going to have  worse consumption than on a model with fuel injection.  If the car is 15 years old, there will be wear and tear on the carb and consequent increase in fuel consumption.

There are many factors that contribute to poor fuel efficiency and without knowing or seeing the car, it is hard to tell what the cause is if indeed you think the consumption is excessive.

The only sure way to test it, is to fill the tank, note the km, drive till it needs to be filled again and then note the litres consumed and the km covered. Do the km/l calculation then. The way you did it is not accurate.

So, to sum up, the following factors can cause excessive fuel consumption:

Dirty air filter
Fuel leaks, fuel lines or on the carb itself.
Incorrect carburettor setting.
Tyres not correct pressure.
Excessive idling (do not idle your car to warm up, get in, start up and drive)
Erratic acceleration/deceleration.
Spark plugs worn (incorrect gap or worn central electrode)
Incorrect ignition timing.
Heavy traffic (stop/start driving)
Wheels out of alignment
Unevenly worn tyres
Worn carburettor
Overloading
Over revving the engine
Worn rings and valves
Incorrect valve clearance settings
Worn or leaky fuel pump diaphragm

Those are a couple...   ;D ;D

Service your car regularly, drive defensively and realise your car is old and so it is not going to break any economy records.
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• kimchi4me
  • Veteran

• bucheon
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 11:07:38 pm »
@confuser

but i said i got about 120 km on 10 liters...is that ok for city driving?

ill go get my car looked at this weekend

thanks the info

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

more
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 05:55:53 am »
@confuser

but i said i got about 120 km on 10 liters...is that ok for city driving?

ill go get my car looked at this weekend

thanks the info

Again, your question depends on the size of the engine, I think it is quite small.

12km/l is not bad, given the age of the car and the conditions you are driving under, but I must stress the inaccuracy of your calculations. Putting in x amount of fuel and driving till the light comes on is not accurate at all. You must do it the way I said.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.   ;D ;D

• JeremyC
  • Featured Contributor

• July 15, 2012, 03:48:16 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 06:55:26 am »
I thought the way a car is driven effects consumption more than engine size; driving a sporty BMW slowly uses less than driving a Prius hard, as was shown on an episode of Top Gear.

As to the OP a 15 year old car will need regular servicing, so it'd be best to get one done if it's been a while.
It's nice to be important but more important to be nice.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

more
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 09:04:43 am »
I thought the way a car is driven effects consumption more than engine size; driving a sporty BMW slowly uses less than driving a Prius hard, as was shown on an episode of Top Gear.

As to the OP a 15 year old car will need regular servicing, so it'd be best to get one done if it's been a while.

Exactly, that is why I said the following in my reply:

Erratic acceleration/deceleration.
Over revving the engine.

Racing to beat the next car to the traffic lights will affect it adversely, for sure.
If the car has a small engine, 900 cc or 1000 cc and you load it up with people, that will, of course affect it too. Power to weight ratio is very important, that is why even while some cars have slightly bigger engines, that doesn't make them heavier on fuel because the designer took the weight into account when approving the engine size and power.

There are many factors that influence fuel consumption, those I mentioned are just some of them.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 09:08:37 am by confusedsafferinkorea »

• jon-anon
  • Veteran

• May 10, 2011, 04:03:23 am
    • Gyeonggi-do
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 09:54:24 am »
Forgive my Imperial measurement cursed upbringing, but I had to do the conversion:

12 km/L = 28.2 miles/gallon

I'd say that's not too bad, but the Matiz is a tiny little thing, so, new, I'd imagine they get at least 40mpg (or 17 km/L for all of you with a unit of measurement that makes sense and I'm jealous of) or more.  But your car is old, so there's that.  Have you checked/changed your air filter recently?  That can help your fuel consumption a bit...

• kimchi4me
  • Veteran

• bucheon
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 11:26:07 am »
thanks to all your suggestions

ill bring it in this weekend and get all those things looked at