Read 2848 times

Any introverted teachers teaching elementary public?
« on: February 18, 2013, 01:20:25 pm »
How is it for you? I may be transferred to an elementary school from middle school and honestly it's not my cup of tea. I've always tried to teach middle school and above for the simple fact that little kids burn me out. Is singing fun for me? Sometimes. Dancing? Sure. A whole year day in and day out of doing it? I don't think so.

Middle school has been good for me because I can tailor the lessons to suit my personality and make it fun and make it "seem" like I'm more extroverted than I really am. Also middle school kids don't require silly faces and high pitched voices all day long.

But maybe I could be wrong. I would like to stay at my middle school, and there still is a chance, but not sure yet. I would like any introverts opinion on how elementary public school is treating them.

• brad2205
  • Veteran

• August 29, 2011, 02:00:55 pm
    • Ulsan
Re: Any introverted teachers teaching elementary public?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 01:34:47 pm »
It's not all that bad! Really the only time I sing and act silly is for the third grade.. My first few months I didn't sing or do anything silly but as I got to know them and feel more relaxed around them.  I started being a little silly and singing with them! They enjoy it much more then not.  The older kids 5th and 6th grade dont want you to sing or act silly! They like songs but not really singing.  And they just want to be your friend and are not looking for a clown to keep them busy.  Just say hi to them and stop to talk to them if they look like they are having fun.  They will be happy with that! I get evaluations from my students and always say good things about me.  The only thing they ask for is more games in class and to be more of a friend then teacher.  Well you can only play so many games and as for being more of a friend. I try to show up early to my classes and walk around and try talking to everyone. If they say somthing stupid I give them  a playful smack in the back of the head.  If they talk I just ask them questions about them as if I'm interested in learning more about them! Its not all that bad and Helped me come out of my shell a little..

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 01:39:09 pm »
Interesting thanks for your experience. I've been talking with other people about it and they all seem to say the same thing lol.

How is your lesson planning? Right now, I make basically 2-3 lessons per week. Usually teach the book (listen and speak) for 20-25 minutes, then short review and game. Been working pretty successfully.

I've heard in elementary you usually let the coteacher do most of the teaching/planning? (except for games)

• Suz-goose
  • Super Waygook

• March 05, 2012, 07:33:45 am
    • Korea
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 01:47:58 pm »
I am in the same position. I am just going to wing it and see what goes well with each grade. My current middle school first graders liked the occasional goofy moment, I will just use the same style  :azn:

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 01:52:08 pm »
How is your lesson planning? Right now, I make basically 2-3 lessons per week. Usually teach the book (listen and speak) for 20-25 minutes, then short review and game. Been working pretty successfully.

I plan 7-8 lessons a week, only one of my 4 co-teachers helps me at all in the planning, but is similar to what you listed above.  Book work, then review/game.  The book lessons sometimes don't have much involved, so I always like to plan extra warm ups, longer games, or other activities. 

• brad2205
  • Veteran

• August 29, 2011, 02:00:55 pm
    • Ulsan
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 01:54:12 pm »
Every co-teacher is differnt.  I always ask my co-teachers to meet with me a few days prior to our classes together and make a plan.  We follow the book! We choose who does intro, attention getter, review of what ever they learned the class before and then start.  Look and listen, listen and speak, read and think or whatever it is.  Normally we split everything up and top it of with a game.  I will find one game and so will they! We pick who's is better and then go with that. I will intro the game and play it with them. They will just hang back watch or help.  This is my co-teachers this year. Last year was I would just show up ten minutes before class and they would point to the lesson I would teach and I would just follow the book.  They would have a game I would just introduce it and play it with them.  They just kind chilled and let me do all the teaching and only helped if needed a translation.  So it all depends on co-teachers!

• Soggybread
  • Waygookin

• November 02, 2011, 10:52:52 am
    • Australia
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 02:04:34 pm »

I've heard in elementary you usually let the coteacher do most of the teaching/planning? (except for games)

I do 4 lessons a week for grades 5 & 6. I don't teach any other classes. My co-teacher will do 20 minutes of book work and I will do either:
  • Book Work not covered
  • Worksheets
  • PPT Game
  • PPT explanations
  • Speaking activities
  • Project

I do all the planning for the material, we didn't talk about it much (She was the book I was my own material). She did most of the talking, the students couldn't understand English most of the time. Usually had to translate what I just said (Unless it was phrases). This might also be attributed to my school.

Also, no singing or dancing minus a few times. The students in grade 6 don't like it at all, some in grade 5 do.

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 02:05:49 pm »
Thanks these posts really help. I may do it if they find out my school won't be keeping a native teacher for next year.

• Guvut
  • Adventurer

• June 19, 2011, 07:40:24 am
    • USA
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 02:17:32 pm »
On the other side of the spectrum, I teach at an elementary school and have no repeat lessons a week. 22 unique lessons, haha. I also teach basically every class by myself! I was really hesitant the first few weeks, but you'll be amazed how quickly you can adapt if put in slightly awkward situation! I have a blast now, it's great.

• chuck2657
  • Expert Waygook

• September 11, 2012, 02:29:12 pm
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 02:32:36 pm »
All my lessons are unique.  At one school, I don't have a co-teacher for any of the classes.  At the other school, we split who is "main" about 50/50 - basically I stand around as a tape recorder for his, and he translates (usually only game or activity instructions) into Korean.

For 3-6 I normally do something like...
~intro/greetings/catcher
~vocab/phrase/etc. introduction and drilling via PPT
~book work for about 10 minutes (the kids seem to hate this part the most..especially the videos)
~non-game activity (worksheet, dialogue practice, whatever)
~game activity (PPT, running diction, bingo, whatever you prefer)

5th-6th I don't think anything special is required.

3rd-4th you have to make a slight effort to be in a positive mood.  Although really, these kids seem to get very excited very easily.  They understand things like word searches (easy ones), simple worksheets, PPT bomb games, and if you have a co-teacher you can normally play an easy version of most ESL games and activities.

k-2nd is a different story.  I teach K, 1st, 2nd and there isn't a whole lot you can do with these kids.  You can do story books, songs, simple games, *very* simple worksheets (something where they're writing numbers, or you say a word and they circle a picture of it)...and that's about it.  Generally, lots of songs, coloring (I don't think they're learning any English, but I sometimes do this during holiday lessons), stories and simple games (4 corners, simon says, etc.).

It isn't as bad as expected, since they seem to *really* get into it.  That being said, unless you're heavily relying on repeating the same songs, I find a class of kindergarten or 1st grade takes a lot longer to prep.  You have to have a ton of short and easy activities since they have short attention spans.

• mr_spivak
  • Veteran

• June 15, 2011, 01:38:59 pm
    • Bundang, Korea
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 02:39:32 pm »
I'm doing Middle school now after Elementary and I'm an "introvert." I did fantastic in Elementary, the kids loved me for who I am, in MS the girls love because they have a crush on me haha. The energetic, jumping around the room stereotype for teachers who work with kids is simply B.S. It doesn't entertain kids or keep them happy. You're a teacher first and foremost, not an entertainer. Some super-extroverts I've seen are also some of the worst teachers I've ever seen.

The kids kept ME on my toes. At middle school I'm tired all the time, probably because I have to always try to talk over them.

I wouldn't worry about it. Sometimes I think I'd rather be at an Elementary school again...

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 02:42:32 pm »
I'm rather introverted too so personally I find the younger grades to be more of a challenge than the older ones.  In general, 3rd and 4th like the silly stuff while 5th and 6th think they are too cool for such things.  Obviously there will be exceptions (I had one of the most cynical 4th graders i've ever met in my life last semester) but in general that's how they tend to be.  All grades pretty much enjoy the same games though.  From hangman to bomb games they pretty much go over the same for all classes (at least for me).

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2013, 11:05:52 am »
As long as you stick with it and don't start beating yourself up, you'll do fine. Middle schoolers are a lot harder to deal with and the younger kids are a lot more charming.

They're also extremely forgiving-- just drink about 3 cups of coffee and don't spend too long on one activity and you'll do fine. Just make sure you smile a lot, don't put too much pressure on anyone and play lots of games.

Good luck!