Read 1091 times

new spouse and insurance taxes etc
« on: February 17, 2013, 04:05:16 pm »
ok im single but remarring this year or early next. my fiance is coming from the philippines. i want to know:
1. is national healthcare mandatory for her?
2. If i choose to get her national healthcare like i have....how much would it cost me, aprox per month?
3. right now i make 2.4 total a month and clear 2.1....next year im capping out with EPIK at 2.6...clearing i have no idea....will being married lower my tax rate here or keep it same?

thanks

Re: new spouse and insurance taxes etc
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 04:32:59 pm »
1. Yes.

2. No more than you would pay alone. Health insurance covers all dependents in the household. Health insurance was 5.80% of income in 2012. It will increase to 5.89% for 2013. Your health insurance will go up by 0.09% next year, this affects everyone.

3. If she earns less than 1 million in a year you can deduct 1.5 million off your income and claim her as a dependent. You can save a little money in taxes.

she will not be working, so Ill talk to the school later as her as a dependent.

However...how much is health insurance on your own in Korea? The schools do pay 1/2 I believe? so about how much would it run for her per month? ballpark

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 04:34:38 pm »
i just read in my contract the school will pay 1/2 of the insurance for my spouse as well

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 04:57:45 pm »
Health insurance is only paid by people who earn an income and it covers every dependent living in the household which includes spouses who don't work.

Your health insurance premiums will not go up if you have dependents.

Just be sure she is on a spousal visa.

awesome news! yes she is coming on the spousal visa (and she is not allowed to work anyway)....good to know she will be covered and my rates with the school wont go up.

thanks